Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

25 April 2014: Thursday's Child Has Far to Go

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 25 April 2014: Thursday's Child Has Far to Go on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Jack

Admin
A few months ago, the family of Kevin, your son's best friend, moved.  It wasn't a terribly far move, but they're not in the same school district anymore, there's no public transportation between your new towns, and the boys just don't get to spend much time together.  

Your son, 10-year old Sean, tends to be a very physical, live-in-the-moment type of guy, and not having his best friend around has been very hard on him.  Even though they're able to e-mail, text, and talk on their phones, Sean misses doing things with Kevin where they can quietly enjoy each others company, talk about what they're doing or what they just saw or read, or just wrestle around.

With a three day weekend about to start, you'd promised Sean you'd take him to Kevin's house so they could have a sleepover.  However, your spouse had an emergency at work, and is going to be several hours late, your car broke down and you're still waiting for the tow truck, and you can't reach Kevin's parents.  

When you explain this to Sean, and promise to try to take him over their tomorrow, he has less of a melt down than you expected.  It's not that he's not upset - he just seems very cold about it.  He snorts, says that if it was something you wanted to do, you'd find a way, then he goes to his room.

You're both a bit hurt and upset by his comment, so you let him go, so you can have time to cool off.  The tow truck arrives to get your car, but better - you're covered by warranty, so a rental car shows up a few minutes later.  At that point, able to take him after all, and much calmer, you go to talk to Sean.

He's not in his room.  He's not anyplace you can find.

Neither is his bike.

You get in the rental and head towards Kevin's new home.  Sure enough, as you approach the edge of town...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"What do you think you're doing, mister?" You ask the boy.

"You said I could spend the night at Kevin's house, so I'm gonna."

Is he?

For the Record:
If it makes a difference, it's about 8 miles to Kevin's new home, if you use the interstate, but only 5 if you use the old, state roads, though they don't have good breakdown lanes in a lot of areas, and aren't as well lit, so they're not as safe.

Last edited by Jack on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

John Boy

Sherrif
That depends do you want your friend to see you crying from a fresh spanked bottom for leaving without permission and not telling me where you were going?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
I assume in paragraph 4 I'm explaining this to Sean, not Kevin.

Nevertheless, he's 10. Either route is too far and the highways are too busy and dangerous. He left without permission, or even just notification, apparently didn't leave a note, and had he waited another 10 minutes, I'd have just driven him.

I understand disappointment. But this is deliberate, dangerous and respectful disobedience. The natural consequence should be he isn't spending the night--but that punishes Kevin as well.

I think I'm going to load Sean's bike in the rental and take him home. He can call Kevin and let him know he'll be a bit late. I'll leave it up to Sean whether he wants to share the new status of his bottom with his best friend, but he's going to arrive with a red bottom and a recently red and teary face.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
It would appear that Sean is more resourceful then I gave him credit for.  I will pick him and his bike and drive him the rest of the way.  But along the way I will point out how he can make the 5 mile trip in safety if he goes in low traffic hours and gets off the road  and allows all cars to pass, when they come by. This way he can visit his Kevin much more often!

His willingness to disobey my authority encourages me to think he will grow up to oppose big brother also!

Iconoclast

Stone Man

Marshall
Sean's backside is getting roasted, and then I will take him to Kevin's house if he still wishes. Assuming he does want to go, I'll have him call Kev and let him know that he'll be a bit late.

Kier covered it well.

I do love that look of Sean's.

ivor

Marshall
The kid has a point imo. Even without the rental I reckon there were other ways you could have solved the problem if you had put your mind to it.

I'll get him in the car and then give him the longest lecture he's ever had that'll probably reduce him to tears, but I'll let him off the spanking.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Danny

Deputy
Sucks for him, but this is definitely a spanking offence. I would let him stay at his friends afterwards, though.

I think there's probably a pretty good story in here...

Danny

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ivor wrote:The kid has a point imo. Even without the rental I reckon there were other ways you could have solved the problem if you had put your mind to it.

imo too ............................ but the fact that he took off without leaving a note, fully intending not to return that night drives me to adopt Kier's remedy.

PS.  Now he's shown himself capable of making the journey by bike we'll look at that option future.  I never wore a helmet but since its 2014 I'd better invest.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:
ivor wrote:The kid has a point imo. Even without the rental I reckon there were other ways you could have solved the problem if you had put your mind to it.

imo too ............................ but the fact that he took off without leaving a note, fully intending not to return that night drives me to adopt Kier's remedy.

PS.  Now he's shown himself capable of making the journey by bike we'll look at that option future.  I never wore a helmet but since its 2014 I'd better invest.

I did consider Kier had summed it up very well, but didn't just want to say 'ditto'  Laughing 

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
He's coming straight home in the car at once and will be spending a week locked in the punishment room on bread and water:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh, and I'm going to sell his bike too...

That'll teach the little bastard a sharp lesson and all...

Stevie.  Twisted Evil

Kai

Deputy
ivor wrote:I did consider Kier had summed it up very well, but didn't just want to say 'ditto'   Laughing 
But I do Razz

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think I'm with Ivor on this. I really should have talked with the poor kid when he reacted as he did. Losing his best friend has been hard on him, and dealing with the disappointment is not always easy even for adults. At ten, being reasonable is sometimes impossible.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Sean may be disappointed, but he's not the only one stressed. Mom had to work late, and my car broke down. I'm dealing with that, and not (yet) aware that they are giving me a loaner. If Sean's "delay" had my undivided attention, I'm sure I COULD have come up with another solution. From the scenario, it doesn't--and also from the scenario, the delay was not prolonged.

If Sean had waited 15 minutes, he'd have gotten what he wanted, and without a red bottom. Learning to be at least a little patient is an essential childhood lesson.

One of my former colleagues spearheaded the bicycle helmet movement. I never wore one growing up and neither did anyone else my age. We'd have been laughed off the streets. Somehow, we managed to reach adulthood. If you do a search for helmet use, most of the studies will reference how helmet laws result in increased helmet use. And that's true. Whether the helmets actually do anything is a different matter.

Helmet use significantly reduces risk of serious head injury by 68% compared to non-users. There is no significant difference in serious injuries of all types comparing helmeted and non-helmeted users. Analysis in that study was not multivariant. In other words, as happens so often in these studies, the conclusion is reached FIRST, and the statistical "analysis" is created to "prove" what the authors want it to. When I was in high school, I had a science teacher who explained to us that there are lies, there are damned lies, there are G_d damn lies, and THEN...there are statistics.

Jack

Admin
AFinch wrote: From the scenario, it doesn't--and also from the scenario, the delay was not prolonged.

The problem, Kier, is that you're using the word 'delay' when in place of cancellation. Once again, your stuff is more important and his needs don't matter (not my view, but very probably that of a 10-year old boy). This is a case where I'm going to let him know I'm very upset with what he did (more leaving without notice than anything), and I'm very tempted to spank him right now, but I'm willing to skip it for now, if he wants to see if I change my mind after I calm down. The real thing is, I can very much understand how much he misses his friend and was looking forward to this, and I can see why he felt I wasn't giving it enough priority, which is why he took the matter into his own hands. I'm just not sure that's enough of a mitigating factor to save his rear.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think for a ten year old living in the moment postponed till tomorrow may be the same as cancelled. He.s upset and I'm stressed by having the car out of action. Possibly had I been thinking clearly I might have thought I might get a rental and held out hope of a solution to my impatient son. 

But; he knows not to disappear without saying and  at ten I don't really want him doing 8 miles on the interstate or the trickier roads. Otherwise I might have suggested. Does Sean even know where Kevins new home is. Does he know his way around this neighbourhood. If he has to ask strangers what new dangerous possibilities might open up. An angry 10year old could be easily sucked into something especially if some predator learned all was not well at home. Anyone recall the story made into a tv movie I know my name is Steven. It is also lucky I read Sean's mind.

So we are going home where Sean will be going over my knee for his potentially dangerous stunt and without a helmet.) When he is fit to face the world , or at least his best friend I will drive him over as promised. That is in part recognition that might have been partly responsible, inadvertantly for Seans behavior. But first he has to know how unacceptable that behavior was

Stone Man

Marshall
squarecutter wrote:I think for a ten year old living in the moment postponed till tomorrow may be the same as cancelled. He.s upset and I'm stressed by having the car out of action. Possibly had I been thinking clearly I might have thought I might get a rental and held out hope of a solution to my impatient son. 

But; he knows not to disappear without saying and  at ten I don't really want him doing 8 miles on the interstate or the trickier roads. Otherwise I might have suggested. Does Sean even know where Kevin's new home is. Does he know his way around this neighbourhood. If he has to ask strangers what new dangerous possibilities might open up. An angry 10year old could be easily sucked into something especially if some predator learned all was not well at home. Anyone recall the story made into a tv movie I know my name is Steven. It is also lucky I read Sean's mind.

So we are going home where Sean will be going over my knee for his potentially dangerous stunt and without a helmet.) When he is fit to face the world , or at least his best friend I will drive him over as promised. That is in part recognition that might have been partly responsible, inadvertently for Sean's behavior. But first he has to know how unacceptable that behavior was

Very nicely put.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
No note, no word, no respect. At 10 he's old enough to know better than this regardless of being a 'live in the minute' kid. (believe me, I understand this problem as I've dealt with this type of kid since he was 10, and at almost 18 he's still of this sort!)

I'm also sensitive to the difficulties faced by losing the ability to easily be with his friend but that doesn't negate or mitigate what he's done here. I am putting the bike in the trunk and returning him to our house where he can phone his friend and tell him that he'll be somewhat delayed. After that, Sean will be well roasted by me for all of the above. Afterwards, I'll drive him to his buddy's house where he can share his "war story" if he so desires.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum