Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site


You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-01-2014 - Stretching the Bounds and the Truth - A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater


Bransom Postmaster

Stretching the Bounds and the Truth
A Squarecutter Production



Your son Lance got that scooter for his 9th birthday only a week or so back. Not long before that he got a(first-time) paddling which was an upgrade on the handspankings he usually gets. It was for disobedience and lying about it.

Lance
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There are some busy roads nearby Lance has permission to be on the sidewalk only up to the end of your road and back. Unfortunately for Lance when you saw him on his scooter while coming home from work early he was 3 blocks from home and going in the wrong direction When asked he said it was to show his best pal Mark who had been away an hadn't seen it yet. This fitted with the direction Lance was going in. When asked if he had your spouses permission he said he did tell her he would be outside riding his scooter but no he didn't ask for permission to go round to Mark's house. "I wasn't gong to be long Dad,"

Has Lance gone too far.


_________________
Can you dig it?
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Skater

John Boy


Sherrif
Yup he knows his boundaries and he needs to ask first not do then hope. Especially since we need to know where he is etc...

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Padraig


Trailboss
Can't connect to the scenario since 'our' kids usully roam free through the village. Nevertheless, the scenario says he was out of boundaries so he will get a reminder.

1strappedboy


Sherrif
Short answer is yes, but there's more to it than that.

He will put the scooter in the trunk and on our ride home we will review the concepts of following established rules (disobedience) and dishonesty (lying by omission).  Once he understands that he's bought himself a paddling for these things, I'm telling him that he's due fro yet another upgrade for riding the scooter barefoot and  affraid  not having head gear on.   

I know by some miracle WE survived to the age of majority without being wrapped up, but at the least, head protection now available HAS to be seen as the minimum common sense thing to use.

kalico


Sherrif
LOL...I'm with Dimitri...

I'm more upset about the no shoes than the head gear really...I've seen what happens with no shoes.....scooters really don't go all that fast on a flat surface so Im ok with no head gear unless he was trying to do stunts or was on a hill then I would like the head gear.....

before I got tris he was on his with no shoes and he lost two of his toe nails.... affraid 


hugs kal

David M. Katz


Marshall
Hmmm . . .

I am proud of his honesty and it sounds like he has fallen in to "kid think" when it comes to the rules.  I am mostly inclined to talk with him and make sure there is a clear understanding of things.  I think a punishment is in order but I would lean to something mild like taking the scooter for a few days or a mild spanking.

OK, I get the concern over the no shoes thing but he looks like most of the boys around these parts - barefoot on scooters, boards, bikes, everywhere.  I wouldn't make a big deal out of that.


_________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=David+M.+Katz

ivor


Marshall
I'm more with Katz on this one although I understand why Kal takes her position from personal experience. I think a helmet on a scooter is way ott though.

Personally I can't abide the thought of going barefoot anywhere apart from a beach and I hate to think what kids might pick up while doing o, but if it's the norm there then it is hard to go against.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack


Admin
I have a lot of troubles with this one.

First, why would you get something like this for a kid, , if you're not going to let him really use it?

Second, the scenario doesn't even say that he's out of bounds (my 'road' runs for six 'blocks', so he could still be in boundaries - that might be a translation problem).

Since there is a scenario, I'm going to assume that he's definitely out of bounds. I'll send him straight home, and tell him he's off the scooter for the rest of the day. I'll check his story, and if he's been honest, then we'll just talk about being more specific about what he's planning and why we have the boundaries we do. If the truth has been stretched, a bit of a warm bottom might be required before the talk.


_________________
"In the end, it's just a story. But if you ask me, it's all true."
http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack


Admin
Dmitri, I don't agree that this is lying, even by omission. I used to say, 'I was going bike riding', first because I just didn't know what I wanted to do. I'd be outside, just riding, then decide that going to see so and so seemed like a better idea. Later that became a code for 'I'm in the wind, see ya when I see ya.' Unless I believe he told his mom that specifically so he could do this (or if he'd been forbidden to do it, then said he was going outside, so he could do it anyway), I would give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

It's kind of interesting that the safety equipment issue seems to run along age lines, which must put Dmitri and I in the dividing line area. Considering how many more people die each year from head injuries suffered while driving than while riding self-powered devices like bikes, scooters, and skateboards, I'm tempted to ask Dmitri what color helmet he wears, but that seems like it would just be causing trouble.  Laughing 


_________________
"In the end, it's just a story. But if you ask me, it's all true."
http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

MemoryMan


Sherrif
Haven't I taught Lance the essentials of road safety?  At 9 he should have developed the judgement to be able to cross a road safely, perhaps I should just administer a few stingoors for disobedience and then we'll review the restriction together.

BUT
Riding a scooter without head protection. affraid  affraid 

I can recall many years ago tripping when running and suffering mild concussion.  Even more recently I got a painful bang on the head on the way to the bar (again) in an oak beamed Olde Worlde Pub .... but now I have a solution.

Everybody should wear head protection at all times when not in bed.

 (Hmm! What if they fall out)??

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor


Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:Haven't I taught Lance the essentials of road safety?  At 9 he should have developed the judgement to be able to cross a road safely, perhaps I should just administer a few stingoors for disobedience and then we'll review the restriction together.

BUT
Riding a scooter without head protection. affraid  affraid 

I can recall many years ago tripping when running and suffering mild concussion.  Even more recently I got a painful bang on the head on the way to the bar (again) in an oak beamed Olde Worlde Pub .... but now I have a solution.

Everybody should wear head protection at all times when not in bed.

 (Hmm! What if they fall out)??

"Simples!" You must also have a bed with side rails  Laughing 

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

1strappedboy


Sherrif
Jack wrote:Dmitri, I don't agree that this is lying, even by omission.  I used to say, 'I was going bike riding', first because I just didn't know what I wanted to do.  I'd be outside, just riding, then decide that going to see so and so seemed like a better idea.  Later that became a code for 'I'm in the wind, see ya when I see ya.'  Unless I believe he told his mom that specifically so he could do this (or if he'd been forbidden to do it, then said he was going outside, so he could do it anyway), I would give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

It's kind of interesting that the safety equipment issue seems to run along age lines, which must put Dmitri and I in the dividing line area.  Considering how many more people die each year from head injuries suffered while driving than while riding self-powered devices like bikes, scooters, and skateboards, I'm tempted to ask Dmitri what color helmet he wears, but that seems like it would just be causing trouble.   Laughing 

Upon further review, I have to agree!

It could be an issue of 'kid think' on the concept of 'my road'. I read into the scenario that he was out of bounds, hence the 'lying by omission' which brought on his original doomsday.  Razz 

As to the headgear thing, I've been so conditioned by "the Rules for Safe Scouting" and our school's never ending safety messages that I automatically go bonkers when I see something like that. I don't think it's an age thing as we're too close in that for it to be a real issue; I can't tell you the number of ramps, barricades and what not WE jumped with bikes (to say nothing of other dumb crap we did on the farm!) without safety gear. Somehow or other we survived but in this day and age I've become conditioned to be rather hyperaware of such, largely because until '06 I was responsible for other people's kids. Now that I have my own I'm probably even more careful!

And now, (drum roll please!  Razz ) the confession: I'm usually guilty of the same violation!! More often than not, on those rare occasions that find me on a bike or that sort of thing I don't bother with a helmet either. Suspect 

Kat


Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Katz.

Kat

Stone Man


Marshall
I'm with everyone (so far) at some point or another.

It would seem we were clear on the boundaries - the end of our road. According to the scenario, Lance is beyond the boundaries and headed for a location even further out of bounds. When asked, Lance admitted that he didn't have permission from anyone to travel beyond the preset boundaries. Whether or not he would have been granted permission is not germane at this late point.

Lance has misbehaved on two points, he is out of bounds and he doesn't have permission to be anywhere but outside and within the boundaries.

It has become clear to Lance, as we drive home, that he will be receiving a punishment for his misdeeds. He will be given a choice between loosing the scooter for two days or getting a spanking like he's gotten in the past (BP).

Since there is no evidence that we've talked about safety issues (beyond boundaries and busy roads) I will now make it clear that shoes/sneakers are required and he should be wearing his bike helmet as well.

For Jack, and others, its time to take out the shears and raise those shorts to mid-thigh at least, don't you think?  What a Face 

AFinch


Sherrif
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10866273/Cycle-helmets-are-useless-says-brain-surgeon.html

FYI....

Jack


Admin
I wasn't going to get into that Kier, but I would like to point out that the article says it is a controversial stance, and I've read other data that disagrees with it. Part of that might be because this article seems to talk about adults cycling on roads (I draw that conclusion because of the mention that cars driver closer to drivers with helmets).

One of the big problems with discussing helmet safety is that helmets actually make no difference in the vast majority of bike accidents. Most (serious) cycling accidents result in broken limbs, joints, etc. It would be interesting to learn how many head injuries occur from biking accidents among kids and if there was an effect in those cases before and after helmet laws (and maybe compare them to the 70s and 80s when no one wore them).


_________________
"In the end, it's just a story. But if you ask me, it's all true."
http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

MemoryMan


Sherrif
ivor wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:Haven't I taught Lance the essentials of road safety?  At 9 he should have developed the judgement to be able to cross a road safely, perhaps I should just administer a few stingoors for disobedience and then we'll review the restriction together.

BUT
Riding a scooter without head protection. affraid  affraid 

I can recall many years ago tripping when running and suffering mild concussion.  Even more recently I got a painful bang on the head on the way to the bar (again) in an oak beamed Olde Worlde Pub .... but now I have a solution.

Everybody should wear head protection at all times when not in bed.

 (Hmm! What if they fall out)??

"Simples!" You must also have a bed with side rails  Laughing 

Ivor I kid you not but there are elderly care hospital wards and care homes where side rails have been removed from beds lest confused patients injure themselves trying to get over them.

Ergo - there is no such thing as total safety.  We owe it to our kids not to overprotect them, but to educate them about risk, to teach them to recognise and evaluate it and to develop their own coping and avoidance strategies.

I suppose in this instance to evaluate the risk of being caught and spanked for taking his scooter out of the street without express permission Sad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter


Sherrif
Jack wrote:Dmitri, I don't agree that this is lying, even by omission.  I used to say, 'I was going bike riding', first because I just didn't know what I wanted to do.  I'd be outside, just riding, then decide that going to see so and so seemed like a better idea.  Later that became a code for 'I'm in the wind, see ya when I see ya.'  Unless I believe he told his mom that specifically so he could do this (or if he'd been forbidden to do it, then said he was going outside, so he could do it anyway), I would give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

It's kind of interesting that the safety equipment issue seems to run along age lines, which must put Dmitri and I in the dividing line area.  Considering how many more people die each year from head injuries suffered while driving than while riding self-powered devices like bikes, scooters, and skateboards, I'm tempted to ask Dmitri what color helmet he wears, but that seems like it would just be causing trouble.   Laughing 
Jack that  bit about blocks certainly is a translation problem. I hadn't appreciated it could all be one road or possibly not. My intent was that Lance had gone beyond his bounds and had been somewhat economic with the truth with my Spouse. The fact is he was further away than he told his mum he was going to be, and yes while this may be wrapping our son in cotton wool, was further than he had permission to be Had he asked I would hope my spouse would have told him he couldn't scoot all the way to his friend. I did rather overlook the part about helmets as the fall from a scooter would be rather less far than from a bike  and the house rules were to ensure didn't have to negotiate heavy traffic. He was expected to be OUT ON OUR ROAD, CLOSE TO HOME .Also my spouse did have the option to order Lance to wear his helmet before he went out. Something to check with her. Lance is getting  swats for disobedience and not being entirely straight  with his mother about where he was actually going to be though less than if he'd committed an outright lie.

1strappedboy


Sherrif
MemoryMan wrote:
ivor wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:Haven't I taught Lance the essentials of road safety?  At 9 he should have developed the judgement to be able to cross a road safely, perhaps I should just administer a few stingoors for disobedience and then we'll review the restriction together.

BUT
Riding a scooter without head protection. affraid  affraid 

I can recall many years ago tripping when running and suffering mild concussion.  Even more recently I got a painful bang on the head on the way to the bar (again) in an oak beamed Olde Worlde Pub .... but now I have a solution.

Everybody should wear head protection at all times when not in bed.

 (Hmm! What if they fall out)??

"Simples!" You must also have a bed with side rails  Laughing 

Ivor I kid you not but there are elderly care hospital wards and care homes where side rails have been removed from beds lest confused patients injure themselves trying to get over them.

Ergo - there is no such thing as total safety.  We owe it to our kids not to overprotect them, but to educate them about risk, to teach them to recognise and evaluate it and to develop their own coping and avoidance strategies.

I suppose in this instance to evaluate the risk of being caught and spanked for taking his scooter out of the street without express permission Sad

Ivor, that bit about side rails is more real than you could believe!! While common in hospital or other 'care' settings I just about lost it last year when I brought the Troop into one of the cabins for winter camping; each of the bunks, not just the top ones, were newly equipped with safety rails!  No 

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum