a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 6/17/14 "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished?" A Memory Man Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished....???
A Memory Man production

Your youngest son Craig, a late addition to your family is the last one at home, both his elder brothers are now away at uni.  You are proud of him; he is a responsible trustworthy kid who is "all boy."  Although Craig is the 'apple of your eye' you don't spoil him and from time to time his bared bottom gets to spend some quality time across your lap.

Craig has developed a keen interest in horticulture and whenever he's at home whilst you are working in the garden or greenhouse he is at your side, helping and questioning.  His favourite garden task is mowing your extensive lawn using your new power mower.

You last spanked him some six weeks ago warning him that it was probably his last spanking because once he was twelve he'd be inheriting the strap that is still hanging in the shed at the bottom of the garden, the same strap that kept his brothers on the right track through their early teens.  Craig's twelfth milestone passed just over a week ago.

Today is Saturday and you are tasked with taking your wife out to shop for an outfit for a forthcoming wedding and to choose a wedding gift; an all day job you fear.  Craig echoes your groans and pleads to be left behind.  "I'm twelve now" he argues "If I'm old enough to be getting that strap I'm old enough to look after the house for a few hours."

You didn't quite clock his reasoning but frankly the idea of not having a bored kid trailing round after his bored dad appealed and you decided to give it a try.  He has your mobile number and you ascertained your neighbour would be around to keep an eye out and off you went.

On your return you notice that an unsightly patch of weeds in front of the house has been cleared, entering the house it is noticeably tidier than you'd left it, he has cleared his pots away and the kitchen is spotless, also the table has been set ready for the takeaway meal you said you'd be bringing back.  Craig takes you to the window to show you the back lawn, all freshly and neatly manicured.  "I've edged it all too."  He tells you proudly.

Craig has done great job and stands proud when you congratulate him.

But there is a problem.  Craig is absolutely forbidden to use the power mower when you are not around to supervise.

Craig - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When you point this out to him his face drops and there is a pregnant silence for a moment as it dawns on him that perhaps he's just lined himself up for his first encounter with the 'big boy' strap.

"But Dad." he pleads, looking anxiously up at you "It's different now, I'm big enough now to look after the whole house  .......er..... and I did wear my boots like you said I should."

You shake your head sadly, "Sorry Craig but this is a most important safety rule.  Let's go."  You tell him as you grip his shoulder and guide him towards the back door.  A quiet despairing sob escapes him as you reach it.  

Will you continue that long march past the greenhouse to do your duty,  or do you consider you've made your point sufficiently to be able to change your iron grip into hug?

AFinch

Sherrif
There is no way I'm going to spank him, or strap him, or even scold him for this. He's proven he's old enough. And is my usual "supervision" actually supervising, or just being home in the house while he's outside using the mower?

The time to change the rules is BEFORE breaking them. But this appears to be an arbitrary rule. He DID wear his boots, and apparently observe all the safety rules (except not using it when I'm around to watch). He WAS old enough to be left home alone briefly. And he spent his time doing "good works" rather then playing video games or otherwise messing about. I'm not enough of an ogre to do anything other than hug him and say "Thanks". Unless it's to offer to take him to a movie or something fun.

Jack

Admin
I agree with Kier 100%. If I'm arbitrarily changing the rules just because he had a birthday, then it's my job to be clear of what's changing and what's not. Further, I can't see punishing a kid who did so much hard work, and showed he could be trusted to do things correctly.

There are times when a consequence has to be enforced, but I don't think this is one of them. What I should have done was, when he said he thought it was okay, I should have explained why it wasn't, and moved on. I'll do that now.

LLALVA

Trailboss
I like Kier's answer.

Hugs

Leti

kalico

Sherrif
Kier has it for me......

There IS NO WAY I could punish for this.....what a GREAT kid I have.....

hugs kal

1strappedboy

Sherrif
There's no way in hades I'm spanking much less strapping this kid.  I think I'll put the fear of God in him by marching him to our normal place of execution.  Once we're there I'm telling him that this is a one off.  I'm glad he wore shoes and that's good but in the future I want to be around at least short term when he uses the mower.  Then I'll hug him to death and thank him robustly for all his hard work.  I certainly don't want to discourage him in the future.

Additionally, I need to reward him for doing such a great job in the first place.

Stone Man

Marshall
Jack wrote: What I should have done was, when he said he thought it was okay, I should have explained why it wasn't, and moved on.  I'll do that now.

Add in a hug and this would be my answer.

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack wrote:I agree with Kier 100%.  If I'm arbitrarily changing the rules just because he had a birthday, then it's my job to be clear of what's changing and what's not.  Further, I can't see punishing a kid who did so much hard work, and showed he could be trusted to do things correctly.

There are times when a consequence has to be enforced, but I don't think this is one of them.  What I should have done was, when he said he thought it was okay, I should have explained why it wasn't, and moved on.  I'll do that now.
Ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
I'm with Dimitri. I'll also be adding mowing the lawn to Craig's list.  Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kai

Deputy
I am putting all your answers into a big bag, shake it properly and DITO the first answer that comes out of it Smile

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Ah, yes: no good deed goes unpunished. Wilde was right about that.

Padraig

Trailboss
Of course we will continue...

through the door, right to the car, and off to the next ice cream shop.

However, I will explain to him that the rule is not there because I don't trust him with the mower (not anymore, at least), but it's a tool and accidents can happen. If something happens when he is alone then nobody would be there to help him. He might not understand, but I will tell him that even professionals like lumberman aren't working alone right for that reason.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I re-read this one and it must be jet lag that caused me to miss a salient point; this kid's 12!

By the time I was 12 I was driving tractors around; I was using a push mower (power) at 8-9.  Why have I suddenly decided to mollycoddle a normal healthy 12 year old; have I lost it?!?

New answer:  Within the confines of the scenario, I'm apologizing to Craig for restricting use. Recognizing the great job he's done here and rewarding him significantly.  Then I'm adding the lawn to his chores list. Razz

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in the K Club with Kier.

Kat

Kai

Deputy
1strappedboy wrote:New answer:  Within the confines of the scenario, I'm apologizing to Craig for restricting use. Recognizing the great job he's done here and rewarding him significantly.  Then I'm adding the lawn to his chores list. Razz
AW, you meanie!!!! Smile
Well, but thats life. New privileges always comes in with new responsibilities.

Pi Beta

Deputy
"But Dad, the neighbour was around, so I was supervised!"

Even if this isn't his response, no way am I punishing him.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I can't punish him for this, especially not with a belt but... I will use the scare to remind him that it is better to negotiate a rule change rather than present me with a fait accompli

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum