a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-29-2014 - Quiz Champion Cheat - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Quiz Champion Cheat
A Kat Production

You’re the headmaster of a private school boarding school in the US. The school is very traditional and still uses corporal punishment. Unlike most US schools, your school uses a strap rather than a paddle. All punishments are applied to the bottom. You have the discretion to apply the strap on underwear or the bare bottom, though you rarely give bare punishments. The maximum number of strokes is twelve.

Clancy 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Clancy is a fourteen-year-old ‘freshman’ in the upper school and a member of your school’s quiz team. This afternoon he was caught using his phone during a championship competition to find an answer, which is a clear violation of rules and caused his entire team to be disqualified, thus losing their chance to become repeat champions. He is now in your office for discipline. In addition to corporal punishment, you can give detentions, restrict him to campus and even expel him from the school. How will you handle this?

Jack

Admin
This is kind of a hard one to answer, because I would imagine the school probably has some specific policies in place about things like this. Also, I would be very tempted to contact his parents.

Having made those two caveats, my general feeling is that I would give him the maximum - 12 strokes bare - and he's going to be barred from any competition in the next year. I'm not sure about extra curricular activities.

There is no excuse for what happened, and he deserves maximum punishment, not just for what he did to the school's reputation, and to the other team members, but to himself. I'm just really torn between being incredibly harsh and not wanting to make him hate school all together.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am mostly with Jack but I will only give nine and they will be bare. I am going by one lash per grade year. Otherwise I am with Jack although I will contact his parents.

Stone Man

Marshall
I will start by contacting the parents as I want all of us to be in on the discussion of what Clancy did, what the options for his punishment are, and why I chose the punishments I did.

This being done, I feel Jack has hit on a fair punishment.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
If I were the headmaster he'd already be on his way home. Permanently.

I wouldn't bother with any other punishment because, in my view, I don't want him in my school. He's brought shame and dishonour upon the institution and every other boy in the place...

Since he's managed to disqualify the school's championship quiz team, I also think that the boy would not be very popular with his schoolmates in any case... it's probably better from both the boy's point of view as well as the school's to get rid of him without further discussion.

Stevie.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
While Stevie is probably right about his compatriots' feelings toward him, I'm not quite prepared to discard him.

I think truly recondite punishment is the order of the day here. I'll max out my strap on his bare rear and allow him to try to repair his reputation among his peers. Hopefully this will be a lesson well learned.

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack has said it well so I shall ditto him.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

squarecutter

Sherrif
He is getting the max with the strap bare and a letter will be going out to his parents. Any repeat of this kind of behaviour could result in expulsion. It is  tempting to have the rest of the quiz team in to watch

ivor

Marshall
Perhaps because I do quizzes and know how much cheating can go on at some as it is so easy nowadays, I don't feel this is crime of the century.

However as he let down the teammates and the school, I'd be inclined to give him six with the strap on his PE shorts I front of the whole school.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Padraig

Trailboss
I'm with Ivor.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie is wondering why someone took a picture of Clancy while he was obviously leaving a European style toilet stall... although Stevie approves of it...

just imagining the delicious odour following the lad out of the cubicle... Twisted Evil

Doesn't change my mind, though... he's still expelled...

Stevie.

Pi Beta

Deputy
My inclination is to interview him in company with the rest of the quiz team. It's not inconceivable that the whole team was aware and supportive of the cheating, so I want to see their reactions. It could thus be the whole team getting punished.

Assuming that this was his action, and his alone, I will seek the views of the other members of the team as to their feelings towards him and what they would consider appropriate punishment. I doubt if any will want him expelled, however annoyed they may be by his cheating and its effect on them.

Having obtained their views, I will ask him what he thinks would be appropriate. Armed with this I will attempt to telephone his father. If he's not available, I will suspend Clancy for the rest of the school day until I can speak to a parent.

Having heard all the views, the final decision still remains mine and, unless Clancy's parents withdraw him from the school (something I won't be seeking), I will be giving him 9 with the strap in PT shorts, as hard as I've ever applied it to any boy's bottom, with the team captain present as witness for the team.

Kai

Deputy
I have been torn between Jack's and Stevie's answer. Both seemed to me appropriate for the crime. This kind of cheating at such important events shows very little conscience.
But Pi's answer made me think again.
Maybe it's not only a cheating Clancy but a whole cheating team? That would be horrendous! But it needs to be considered.
Then I would be very tempted to give each of them the maximum bare at school assembly to match the shame of their behaviour.

Jack

Admin
While there are a number of ways to set up that kind of event, the ones I was involved in during high school and college were very similar, and there would have been no doubt the other team members would have known what he was doing. Now whether they knew in advance and whether they approved were other questions.

In this case, I decided not to deal with it because it was outside the scope of the scenario. In real life, I probably would have interviewed all the team, but I kind of like the idea of letting the one who did it take the punishment and seeing how the rest of the team reacts.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm going with Ivor's answer. The cheating is serious, but Clancy is fourteen; and it's not the worst thing he could do by any means. I mainly want to send him a message about integrity. I won't concern myself with his teammates unless I have reason to believe that someone put Clancy up to this. Even if they knew, I wouldn't expect them to grass on a teammate.

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum