a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 7/22/14 "Plausible Deniability" A Pi Beta Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY?
A Pi Beta Production

You are the Headmaster of a small independent school in New Zealand and these are your sons, Hamish (16) and Jonathan (15).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The school rules to which parents have to assent when enrolling their sons to the school stress that corporal punishment is used and that boys in uniform travelling between home and school are subject to all the rules of the school. For boys of their age, at school you would utilise the cane, but don’t feel that the cane is an appropriate instrument for home discipline, preferring there to use a strap. Both have suffered the strap occasionally at home while you’ve caned Hamish at school  once, together with a couple of other boys of his age, for an act of mischief that got out of hand.

Hamish and Jonathan have remained late in school for a rehearsal for the school play and have to make their own way home which involves a public footpath across a field. They arrive home at dusk rather out of breath, telling you, when you ask, that they were running to keep fit. You think nothing more about that until the next morning when you get a telephone call from the farmer over whose land the footpath passes. He complains that the previous evening, he saw a couple of boys in the uniform of your school rolling a straw bale onto the footpath, partially blocking what is legally a public right of way.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
He yelled at them, calling on them to stop, but they ran off down the footpath.
The only two boys who would be using that footpath at that time would be your sons. When you challenge them, they claim that the hay bale was already blocking the footpath when they came home. What they don’t know is that you walked home along that path only about ten minutes before they arrived home and that then there had been no hay bale within about five yards of the footpath.

Will you accept their protestations of innocence? If not, how will you deal with them – as pupils of your school or as your sons?

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I don't like setting traps by asking questions to which I already know the answer. I'm going to tell the boys what I know rather than try to entrap them further. The circumstantial evidence against them seems convincing, so unless they have a more convincing explanation, I will deal with them as headmaster at school. They will receive the standard tariff for this sort of behavior. As Dad, I will let my disappointment in them be the only punishment I mete out.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going to ask them again if they are responsible. If they maintain innocence then I will "believe" them but as an act of "good will to the community" they will be sent to move the hay bale.

If they come clean then I will give a mild strapping and send them to move the bale.

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to tell them I had just walked across that path not ten minutes earlier and it was clear. I'm going to point out that the circumstantial evidence against them is strong. And then I'm going to ask them if that's their final answer.

If they're responsible, and it appears they are, I'd expect them to cave and confess at that point. If so, they'll be treated as my sons, rather than students, i.e. strap with an upgrade for the attempted lie.

If they're vehement they didn't do it, and I have no proof they did, then they're going to get away with "murder"--this time. But I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

Jack

Admin
My problem with this is that, if the boys are innocent, and I just assume their guilt, then I'm potentially causing a lot of harm to our relationship.

I'm going to lay the information out for them. If they admit it, I'll deal with them - if we're at home, I'll be Dad, and warn them that I should have dealt with them at school. If we're at school, I'll deal with them as the Headmaster.

However, I consider this a very minor incident, so however I deal with it is going to be just that - minor.

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack wrote:My problem with this is that, if the boys are innocent, and I just assume their guilt, then I'm potentially causing a lot of harm to our relationship.  

I'm going to lay the information out for them.  If they admit it, I'll deal with them - if we're at home, I'll be Dad, and warn them that I should have dealt with them at school.  If we're at school, I'll deal with them as the Headmaster.

However, I consider this a very minor incident, so however I deal with it is going to be just that - minor.
ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
All evidence, actually known by me and circumstantial, points to my boys being involved in the mischief. When presented with What I know, I hope the boys own up and take what is due. If they continue to profess their innocence I shall have to accept that. I will ask them to kindly help out others and move the bale, as suggested by others.

A Pi Beta wrote:
... and that boys in uniform traveling between home and school are subject to all the rules of the school.

If my boys confess, are my hands tied as the Headmaster or do I have leeway in what I use on the boys?

ivor

Marshall
The school uniform is a black jumper and black shorts. I would consider it impossible for the pair to move a hay bale of that size without ending up with pieces of straw stuck to shorts and jumper. So, shorts, jumper and their room are going to be inspected closely.

If more than a couple of pieces of straw are found they are toast. The punishment will be administered both at home and at school, but only half of a normal one at each place.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I will confront the boys with what I know to save them digging themselves in any deeper. .All things being equal the boys committed an offence in school unifom and should be treated the same as any other boy who did the same. I should treat them as as any other boy in the school because it is the schools reputation that has been let down. Of course if they continue to tell me what appears to be a lie they can have the strap at home too. It seems this farm is too out of the way for another of my pupils to do even in an attempt at a stitch up but the boys are welcome to try to persuade me that happened

Padraig

Trailboss
It's not a big deal. After changing into their "home dress", we will go and remove the bale from the way. However, after confronting them with the evidence at the scene, if they are insisting on being innocent I will believe them.

Stone Man

Marshall
Aren't we nice (including me) accepting our boys' protestations of innocence in the face of all sorts of facts to the contrary.  Razz 

I do hate the idea of punishing someone (someone I love to the ends of the earth by the way) for something they didn't do. However... from personal experience I can attest to being "disciplined" for something I really didn't do, and on more than one occasion. But when you consider the number of times I should have been "disciplined" but got away with it, I'm STILL well ahead of the game.  Very Happy 

Jack

Admin
Stone Man wrote:Aren't we nice (including me) accepting our boys' protestations of innocence in the face of all sorts of facts to the contrary.  Razz 

I do hate the idea of punishing someone (someone I love to the ends of the earth by the way) for something they didn't do. However... from personal experience I can attest to being "disciplined" for something I really didn't do, and on more than one occasion. But when you consider the number of times I should have been "disciplined" but got away with it, I'm STILL well ahead of the game.  Very Happy 

A lot of it depends on your relationship with your parents, as well as how hard they try to treat you fairly. However, in my case, I was often punished for things I didn't do, or almost randomly, and it completely ruined the effect of any punishments I deserved. It also ruined any chance I had of a relationship with my mother's husband (not that there was ever much chance of that anyway) and hurt my relationship with my mother and father.

This is where I talked about 'previous history' coming into it. I will give a kid the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also going to remember that, and if very similar behavior recurs, the kid is much less likely to get the benefit of the doubt the next time.

Pi Beta

Deputy
There is what might be seen as a key element in this - it was the next morning when the farmer made the telephone call, so one must assume that he rang me at school because of recognising the uniform rather than the individuals. Had he recognised the individuals and known me well, he surely would have telephoned me at home that evening.

However, now we are in school - there's no way I can send the boys out to move the bale back - the farmer will surely have dealt with that by now. I would hope and expect that I would be sufficiently good at weedling the truth out of boys - especially my own - that when I tell them that I'd walked that path a few minutes before them that they are going to confess.

Even if I would prefer to deal with them as my sons rather than as my pupils, we are at school, the complaint was made to me as Head so I don't feel that I can deal with this other than as I would if it had been two non-related-to-me pupils. Nor would it be fair on my sons if it turned out that they had been dealt with differently from their schoolmates. Sorry, lads - it's the cane for you!

P.S. There will be another similar blocked footpath story coming out soon - please treat them as totally separate incidents - even though the haybale photographed is the same one!)

ivor

Marshall
My response was based on the assumption that the farmer called me at home early in the morning before I left for school - or on a Saturday. I agree though that had the call been made to the school I would handle the situation differently since that would also very probably widen the potential culprit pool.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

pushkin

Cowboy
I was 'walking home' (from school?) along what was presumably a short cut, knowing (?) that my sons had also been detained late at school (?) for the rehearsal, and they knowing (?) that their dad was also likely to be at school when they finished and not checking on it (?).   Then am I in two minds about whether to believe my own sons?  Is our relationship that uncertain when such a trivial matter is involved?   There is an awful lot of checking to be done before any action is to be taken, including getting back in touch with the farmer if they persist in their story.  If they are found to be guilty and lying I have to question my relationship with my own sons.  If they are innocent I have to dig deeper until I know the truth.  

Questions, questions.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum