a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 7/24/14 "The Happiest Place On Earth - NOT" A Late Chat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH - NOT
A Late Chat Production

You and your spouse surprised your two sons, nine year old Asher and thirteen year old Levi, with a vacation to Disney World.  It is something you and your spouse always wanted to do and that you all had been saving for but the boys seemed a little less than excited.  The flight was good and the car rental went smoothly and you all made the trip relatively well.  As you were able to arrive at your resort earlier than expected you and your spouse want to go ahead and begin exploring the parks.  Asher and Levi only seem interested in the pool and so you all concede to an afternoon and evening poolside but say you want to hit the parks first thing the next morning.

Asher is afraid of every ride and shows no interest in the park at all.  Every chance he gets Asher just sits on a bench and asks if it is time to go yet.  You cannot even get Asher interested in the "kiddie" rides despite asking Levi to ride them with his brother.  Levi is only interested in the "scary" rides and wants Asher to ride with him but Asher refuses.  You offer to ride with Levi but he refuses saying it is "lame" to ride with your parents. The situation quickly deteriorates into a verbal argument between Asher and Levi.  Asher is now full on crying and begging to leave and Levi is angry and has become obstinate and says this is "the lamest trip ever" and asks to just go back to the pool until time to go home.  Nothing seems to be working to salvage the trip and the boys finally both admit that they never wanted to go to Disney World in the first place.  Asher is now reduced to sobs and refuses to continue and Levi is displaying his best pubescent teen 'tude.

Asher - 9
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Levi - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What do you do?  BTW, there is a hairbrush back at your room in the resort.

John Boy

Sherrif
This is a hard one. A lot of money was spent on this trip but if the are miserable and making everyone miserable. It is not something a spanking will fix except maybe us because we didn't think it through that the might not enjoy the surprise trip.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

LLALVA

Trailboss
Lets all have a time out and go back to the room, We can see what our options are for the next day and decide as a family what we want to do.
Levi can ride alone if he want to and Asher can be with his mom and me and have joy, I am sure he likes Toy story at least.

Smile

LL

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
This scenario would never happen to me because Hell would freeze over before I took a child of mine to a place like Disneyland which worships empty consumerism... Stevie has only once been to Canada's Wonderland  thirty years ago and would not return to the place under any circumstances whatever.

Asher does not like rides and is terrified by them... I can sympathise with him and would, I hope have been a little more sensitive to his wishes:  realising he would not be happy in a theme park either. We will return at once to the hotel and get the boys into the pool - which they both seem to enjoy - and then take them to a supper which, hopefully, they can both enjoy.

Tomorrow is another day - there is a lot to do in Florida besides Disney World... we will quietly discuss an agenda in the morning after a nice breakfast and a good night's sleep...

The holiday is not spoiled... just a slight glitch... perhaps I'll be more sensitive next time, however.

Stevie.

Padraig

Trailboss
We will return to the pool.Hopefully Asher will find a friend of his own age there with whom he can enjoy the park tomorrow.

David M. Katz

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:
Tomorrow is another day - there is a lot to do in Florida besides Disney World... we will quietly discuss an agenda in the morning after a nice breakfast and a good night's sleep...

The holiday is not spoiled... just a slight glitch... perhaps I'll be more sensitive next time, however.

A wonderful response to which I will say DITTO.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I'm finding the bellicosity of the boys something of a head scratcher for me. When I married Lyn and the boys Disney Florida was where WE spent our honeymoon as a new family unit. Everyone had a wonderful time regardless of age and I think these kids are displaying a decided lack of appreciation for the trip, especially given what the whole Disney "experience" costs.

If they truly didn't want to go/be there the time to chirp up with that info is before we left home. While I'm not a particular fan of the hairbrush I think I can utilize it to send a message that communicates my displeasure with the 'tudes I'm seeing.

AFinch

Sherrif
Mostly I agree with Stevie. There are lots of other things to do in Florida.

Having been at Disney California on opening day, and having visited both the Florida and California parks so many times I could be a guide there, I can't imagine any kid not being able to enjoy Disney. The scenario just doesn't "compute" for me.

I can't imagine how a spanking is going to make this any better. I can easily see myself telling the boys that a small fortune has been spent on a vacation FOR THEM, which they don't appear to appreciate at all. I'm going to put them on notice that if things don't change markedly for the better tomorrow, this will be the last family vacation they'll ever have. If they can't at least pretend to have a good time, next time, their mother and I will take a deluxe trip to Europe or some other non-kid-friendly place, and leave them home with an elderly babysitter.

ivor

Marshall
It is horrible when a surprise falls flat. Even worse when it has cost a lot of money to deliver.

Seems like we don't really know our own kids.

I don't see a spanking will achieve anything. We need to find an alternative agenda to make this vacation worthwhile. Maybe there is a kids club back at the hotel that the kids can join while we go off to enjoy Disney without them.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm sure I'll be able to find a Mickey Mouse or Pluto hairbrush in one of the stores. What a Face 

But tomorrow my spouse can hit the parks whilst I have some poolside, and elsewhere, fun with my boys.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
The problem comes out in the second sentence: this is something my spouse and I always wanted to do. Apparently we weren't too interested in what the kids actually wanted. The fact that we did no family planning and made this a surprise has probably just made the situation worse.

I'm going to assume that I actually do care about what my kids wanted, and that somehow I just missed the fact that Asher doesn't like rides.

For now, we're going to a quiet location where we can all have a soda and snack and calm down. Then we're going to look at a map and our options. I don't think Asher is doing anything wrong. He's scared of some of the rides (it doesn't say why he's not interested in the younger kids rides, so maybe we just haven't found a good medium for him yet). Levi is going to be told, privately, but in no uncertain turns, that he can lose the attitude or lose his pants and boxers, while gaining a very sore backside.

My plan is to either find something we can all do (shows? Star Tours? Sea World?) or split up, with one of the adults riding rides with Levi, while the other accompanies Asher with what he wants to do. And maybe tomorrow, I can find a place that watches kids, so my spouse and I can do what we want.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I agree with Jack - my spouse and I are the culprits here - taking the kids where WE wanted to go without any regard for their interests and sensitivities. Back to the pool and then investigating other options in the vicinity for the rest of our stay.

We can then plan for another trip to Disney for when the children have flown the nest and WE can go and enjoy ourselves.

squarecutter

Sherrif
1strappedboy wrote:I'm finding the bellicosity of the boys something of a head scratcher for me.  When I married Lyn and the boys Disney Florida was where WE spent our honeymoon as a new family unit.  Everyone had a wonderful time regardless of age and I think these kids are displaying a decided lack of appreciation for the trip, especially given what the whole Disney "experience" costs.

If they truly didn't want to go/be there the time to chirp up with that info is before we left home.  While I'm not a particular fan of the hairbrush I think I can utilize it to send a message that communicates my displeasure with the 'tudes I'm seeing.
I too am baffled. I think we make the best of a bad job and come home early. The ingrates don't deserve to laze round the pool

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with most of the answers. The best we can do as a family is have a major reset and try again tomorrow with a different plan.

Kat

Kittykat

Deputy
What nine year old wouldn't want to go to Disney? I can't see that being realistic at all lol. Either way, we the parents screwed up. However, the kids don't get to be brats just because of it. We can go over to Orlando Studios if they want, or SeaWorld, or something else, but they can suck up one day to stay in Disney.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Kittykat wrote:What nine year old wouldn't want to go to Disney? I can't see that being realistic at all lol.

At that age, I wouldn't have wanted to go there had it existed at the time - nor at any age since then, for that matter. I didn't like the travelling fairs that came to my home town and the more scary rides. I wanted to be outside, in quiet and peaceful places - exploring, finding out, learning about nature.

AFinch

Sherrif
Pi Beta wrote:
Kittykat wrote:What nine year old wouldn't want to go to Disney? I can't see that being realistic at all lol.

At that age, I wouldn't have wanted to go there had it existed at the time - nor at any age since then, for that matter. I didn't like the travelling fairs that came to my home town and the more scary rides. I wanted to be outside, in quiet and peaceful places - exploring, finding out, learning about nature.

And I sense from your answer that you've still never been, Pi. There are very few scary rides at Disney. It is mostly outside, and there are areas, such as Tom Sawyer's Island, that are quiet, peaceful, and safe to be explored by kids alone (parents always agreed to meet us somewhere at some specified time). It is NOTHING like a travelling fair.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Kittykat wrote:What nine year old wouldn't want to go to Disney?

Err... I can tell you right now of a nine year old who had no desire whatever to go to Disneyland and all...

Stevie.

P.S. My sister "Joan" was very annoyed with me when I told my parents that hehehe  Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum