Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Jack

Admin
It's been a couple of weeks since most of your kids got back from camp.  During that time, most of your younger ones have had a bit of trouble adjusting.  As a matter of fact, of all the ones who are younger than high school age, only Van hasn't had at least one trip over your lap since the return.

12-Year Old Van Playing on His Keyboard
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You don't get into specifics about what's happened with his brothers, but the other boys usually have a general idea of when someone's suffered a sore bottom.  Instead, you just tell Van that you've noticed he's been on a very good streak and that you wanted him to know that you'd noticed it, and that you were proud of him for how well he's been behaving.

He's paying attention to you as you talk to him, but now he looks away.  He's quiet for a moment, then looks back at you.  His eyes are watery, and he looks miserable.  His lip is quivering, and, after a long, agonizing stretch of silence, he confesses to you that, a couple of times since he's been back from camp, mostly in the mid-mornings, while you've been at work, he's gone into your office to print out sheet music that he felt like working on.

While the kids do have a 'family' password to use your computer, they're not supposed to be in your office without permission.  It can be a spanking offense, but isn't a definite one.

Now Van is in tears, waiting to hear what you have to say.

2 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:22 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I thank him for his honesty and tell him that his honesty gets him a pass and then I work out with him a time where he can print music or I will get him an inexpensive printer for his room.

3 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:33 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
It's hugging time. We will talk about it and decide from there what needs to happen if anything. I am however glad he decided to tell me the truth.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:56 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Poor little guy!!  Nice to know he has a conscience.

I think a hug and thanks for his honesty are in order here.

Since they DO have access, I'll recognize two things here.  One is his honesty in 'fessing up and the other is since all he did was print music to practice from, a "thattaboy" for working on his music.

I may, depending upon the boy, either remind him of the rule that there be an adult present when he's on-line (and why) or rescind my rule that I must be there if I think he's mature enough not to do something dumb with the computer be it something that will cause issues with the unit or the probability of him surfing "unauthorized sites".

5 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 am

ivor

Marshall
Van's feeling guilty that he has got away with something not once but twice, while his brothers have been caught and spanked.

I'm sure he's been told in the past that honesty is the best policy and that is exactly what he has done.

I reckon I'll tell him that in all probability his brothers have also got away with things as it's how things work out sometimes.

Hopefully he'll feel happy at that as I have no desire to spank him, but if his conscience feels he needs one, I'll have to oblige,

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

6 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Since without his confession I had no idea he'd been in using my equipment he's behaved competently and responsibly in my office.

I'll look severely at him and ask him if he thinks he needs a spanking.  Regardless of his answer he won't be getting one.  He can sweat for a moment before I thank him for his honesty and announce a one time pass.

Printers these days are practically given away to facilitate the Great Ink Rip-off and since I approve of his reasons for needing one I'll buy a basic model to connect to the machine he was downloading from.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

7 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Ivor.

Kat

8 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 am

LLALVA

Trailboss

Jack, in BOTD 25May14, Dad's home / Three week early wrote:Very few people are allowed in your library without permission. Van, because of his interest in music, is one of those. He's allowed to have up to 5 CDs out at a time.

Was Van's permission revoked after all the cds he took that time?

Can he take a cd, but not use the computer with out permission?

If he is using his family password for the computer, I do not think he is in trouble.

I love you Van

hugs

Leti

9 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'm inclined to give him a couple of play swats, but no more so that his conscience in terms of the unauthorised use of the computeer while I'm out is concerned.

Then I need to get him to show me what he's copied so that I can check whether it is music that is out of copyright or whether he's breaking the law. If the latter, I need to explain to him why there is such a law and the potential civil penalties for those who ignore it and why, therefore, he (or probably !) should always ensure that any printed music he plays in public is a legal copy - or that he plays it from memory. It's not unknown for representatives of the MPA to attend musical events to inspect the sheet music being used.

Legal sheet music is very expensive so the temptation to copy (mainly photocoping, since the MPA would take action against a site that facilitated downloading copyright music) is massive.

I hate having to give him this warning because I don't want to stifle his enthusiasm, but feel it essential that he knows where he stands and maybe give him a special allowance just for purchasing music.

10 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Jack

Admin
Leti, my office and my library are separate rooms. Some people have permission to go into the library - most of the older kids can, if they have a good reason. It's mainly off limits, because that's where I keep a lot of my more expensive 'toys', do I don't want the younger kids going in there on their own.

The office is a different situation. There are times that I don't mind someone going in there. However, there are also times when both my desks and the coffee table are all covered with work, and I don't want anyone moving things around. That's why you're supposed to have permission to go into my office.

Pi, we have an account with a couple of online sheet music companies, primarily Music Notes, and Van has his own account -he has a debit card now, so they can buy things online.

I dealt with this the same way most of you did. I told him that I appreciated him telling me about it, and that I was very proud that he trusted me enough to believe I'd be fair to him. No spanking. I'm not getting him a printer, since this is mainly him being impulsive and wanting it now, instead of waiting a few hours until I'm home. The problem is that, even if I got him a printer, he'd have to go into my office to use it, or I'd have to change the settings on the kids' study computers, and those are too unsupervised for me to want them to be too open (those are mostly for the younger kids).

One thing I'm considering is a cheap tablet, so he can download the sheet music and read it on the same tablet. He might have to wait until Christmas for that.

11 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
You beet me on that, I was going to suggest a tablet, like my neighbor girls are using. They even have clipped it to their trumpet and saxophone when playing.

12 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I'm with Ivor.

13 Re: 28 July 2014 - The Ultimate Compliment on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
Seems it all worked out okay then. Very Happy

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: