You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 8/5/14 "A Ticket To A Tanning?" A Dimitri Production

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

David M. Katz

Marshall
A Ticket to a Tanning?
A Dimitri Production

Sixteen year old Jeff is the baby of the original family, his adopted brother Ryan is still 15 for rather a few months. Because of this, he is a bit indulged more than his brothers but by no means a spoiled kid. Also, when he is spanked he is a screamer; one would think he was genuinely being killed by the sound of things. This really bothers you and again, have been somewhat easier on him than you were with his older brothers.

Jeff - 16
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In your household you allow the kids to apply for their learner's permit sufficiently ahead of time that they can take their learner's test on their birthday as long as it's a day the DMV was open. Alas, Jeff's birthday fell on a Saturday so he had to wait until Monday to test out for his Learner's Permit. He was a little whiny about that but we all survived his sweet 16 without incident

Fast forward the requisite 90 days and Jeff is sitting behind the wheel of the Jeep that replaced the Envoy Darren quashed courtesy of Jeff's antics a couple of years ago. Because no one in your family is really willing to let him live that down, he makes a point of being a really good and careful driver.

That is until now:
"Dad, I got a ticket for speeding" said he.

You take the form from his trembling hand to discover that your 'good and careful driver' was cited for doing 87 mph in a 55 zone. In your Commonwealth the price for this little run is $270.00 and 3 points on the license and, being a new driver (less than 4 months), the insurance rate is already appalling.

When asked how he let this happen, you were told, "I really wasn't paying attention. I had music playing and I was talking to Ben and the next thing I know is I hear a siren behind be and I pull over. I mean, it wasn't like I MEANT to speed or anything; it's no big deal you know I didn't hurt anyone!"

Is losing the keys for a while sufficient for Jeff or is this a ticket to a tanning?

David M. Katz

Marshall
My only concern is that Jeff truly understand the seriousness of the problem. I would take his keys for a few days and also require that he be responsible for the overage in the insurance premium. Hit a teen with his car and in his pocket - a fate worse than a spanking any day.

kalico

Sherrif
scratch  I was with Katz until I got to the "NO BIG DEAL" part....I think for that he's getting the TANNING because if he thinks it's NO BIG DEAL then he is very wrong!

hugs kal

Padraig

Trailboss
It depends on how he said that. If he is contrite than only his ears will burn. But if he really thinks it wasn't a big deal, than, well...

Anyway, he will feel it in his pockets for a long time.

(here he would lose his driving licence for 1 month by law)

Last edited by Padraig on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm still with Katz.  Though I will point out, again via the loss of keys and cash, just how big a deal it is.

I'm not aware of many places in this state where there even IS a 55 mph speed limit (most places are 65).  65 is "understood" to mean if you go less than 70, people will be tailgating and honking, and that cops won't bother you until above 75.  And it isn't at all difficult, especially on a longer trip, to creep to 85 if you're not paying attention.

I would go back and teach Jeff to always be checking all mirrors for awaiting police--speed limits really aren't about safety, but revenue.  I'd also teach him to use his cruise control as much as possible--it both improves mileage and prevents similar incidents.

I don't know about PA, but here, a 16 year old new driver with a ticket couldn't just mail in the fine--he'd have to appear in Court, be yelled at by a Judge, and almost certainly lose his driving privileges (i.e. have his license legally suspended) for 60 days. I think that's more than enough punishment.

I personally think a spanking would be overkill for this incident.

Last edited by AFinch on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional thought)

Iconoclast

Trailboss
After Jeff finishes paying for the ticket and his insurance premium we will see whether it is indeed a big deal!

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Iconoclast wrote:After Jeff finishes paying for the ticket and his insurance premium we will see whether it is indeed a big deal!

Iconoclast

I want to see how his  sunny Bransom  cheers  dads deal with this before I divulge what actually happened, but as he has no income besides dear ol' dad, he will not be impacted with the actual burden of bearing those costs.

I agree, it is going to be rather a big deal indeed when I get the next insurance bill.  What we pay for teen drivers in PA is mind blowing and the way they 'rate them' is by putting them on the most expensive car in your fleet so even if you give them a 'beater' to drive the rates are still based on whatever (nice) car is in the garage.  

Besides our Classic cars, both Lyn and I have relatively new cars that were expensive.  Besides the mini-van and my work truck, I drive a Lincoln Navigator and Lyn has a Volvo XC 90. The Volvo was more than the Navi by rather a few bucks so THAT'S what the kids get rated on.

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iconoclast

Trailboss
1strappedboy wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:After Jeff finishes paying for the ticket and his insurance premium we will see whether it is indeed a big deal!

Iconoclast

I want to see how his  sunny Bransom  cheers  dads deal with this before I divulge what actually happened, but as he has no income besides dear ol' dad, he will not be impacted with the actual burden of bearing those costs.

I agree, it is going to be rather a big deal indeed when I get the next insurance bill.  What we pay for teen drivers in PA is mind blowing and the way they 'rate them' is by putting them on the most expensive car in your fleet so even if you give them a 'beater' to drive the rates are still based on whatever (nice) car is in the garage.  

Besides our Classic cars, both Lyn and I have relatively new cars that were expensive.  Besides the mini-van and my work truck, I drive a Lincoln Navigator and Lyn has a Volvo C 90. The Volvo was more than the Navi by rather a few bucks so THAT'S what the kids get rated on.

Time and overtime for Jeff to get a job!

Iconoclast

Jkher

Trailboss
I think that once kids start to drive, they have to deal with the natural consequences of that activity... it's a privlege and a potentially dangerous one, not "fun time".

I think that Jeff will have to pay for the ticket before he drives again, and share in any increase in the insurance.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

John Boy

Sherrif
I'm guessing by saying "no (big) deal" it became a bigger one. I would say he earned a tanning of some sort and he will be paying me back to pay the ticket.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
kalico wrote:scratch  I was with Katz until I got to the "NO BIG DEAL" part....I think for that he's getting the TANNING because if he thinks it's NO BIG DEAL then he is very wrong!

hugs kal

NO BIG DEAL is a sore point with me and will also be a sore point with him.

ivor

Marshall
What worries me is that he didn't notice he was doing 87. I would have thought he'd have been aware if he hadn't hit that sort of speed in the past, or was this a case where he was doing 87 and didn't realise he had entered a 55 zone?
I definitely wouldn't want a kid of that age doing 87 even in a non restricted zone.

Definitely losing the car for quite a while - how about 87 days?

And as for the 'no big deal', I suggest everyone else fit their ear plugs.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
I think losing the keys and having to pay the ticket would actually be a more appropriate punishment. As long as he understood why it was a big deal after I finished 'explaining' to him, I think that's all I'd do. Normally I would offer him a choice, but considering how new he is, I think he needs to learn that driving is a privilege, not a right.

Jack

Admin
I don't like hearing 'no big deal' myself; but, have any of you considered that kids say that because adults MAKE such a big deal about stuff? When you attack someone, they feel the need to go on defense, and kids don't have much defense to offer.

I'm not saying that's true in every case. But having had this term come up several times in the last couple of weeks and hearing the responses to it reminds me of zero tolerance.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Jeff may want to revise his idea as to the size of the deal when I announce that:

A) I'm revoking his licence for 32 days

B) I will lend him $270 at the rate of interest currently prevailing on my credit card.  How quickly he pays it back from his allowance is up to him.

C) I will continue to fund his insurance at the present rate but that any surcharge incurred will be his responsibility.

If he finds he can no longer afford to drive - so be it.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD JEFF.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in the K-Club: Katz and Kier. I also agree with Jack's assessment of how adult's react to phrases such as "It's no big deal". Most adults regularly speed, and depending on where the speeding is done, it probably isn't a big deal as far as safety is concerned. It's unfortunate that LEO's rarely enforce any driving violations except speeding, and it's also unfortunate that they are more likely to target younger drivers. Teenage drivers have to understand that while these things may be unfair on them, they are a reality of operating a vehicle.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
Jkher wrote:I think that once kids start to drive, they have to deal with the natural consequences of that activity... it's a privlege and a potentially dangerous one, not "fun time".

I think that Jeff will have to pay for the ticket before he drives again, and share in any increase in the insurance.

I agree with that but I think he should serve at least a week without the car as well even if he can find that cash straight away. He might then appreciate just what a big deal it is. In the UK he would get 3 point on his license which stays for 3 years. Reach 12 points,you are off the road so its as well to watch out for this sort of thing

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Ummmm... yon lad was doing nearly 90 miles an hour in a 55 mile zone...

That is... he was doing 140 in a 90 zone which is 50 kilometers over the limit... unless the police officer decided to be lenient and round down the speed he clocked on the radar... which, considering your son is a new and teenage driver, would be unlikely.

In Ontario, that would be considered very serious indeed. The fine would be at least $2000 (Maximum $10000)  and your car would be impounded (at your expense) for a week... his license would also automatically be suspended for that period as well.  He would receive six demerit points, which is a major violation; this would cancel his insurance policy and your whole family would be forced to obtain facility coverage which would cost nearly triple the normal rate...

On top of this your son tell you that that is no big deal and all...

It's not going to be a choice... he'll never drive again until he can afford to pay his own insurance because I simply cannot afford to pay a $2000 fine and a further $7000 a year insurance premium. I'll be forced to cut his license up and inform the Ministry of Transport that the boy no longer has my consent to drive (which he needs until he's 18).

In view of this, I don't believe that any further punishment is necessary.

Stevie.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Besides the People's Repulik of Canada (Holy HELL Steve!!), I am glad for the perspective.

Well it looks to me as if I may have been a bit hasty in my dealing with Jeffy!

The words "it's no big deal" have been spoken twice in less than a month here about things that were a "big deal" in MY eyes and I felt a need to express this to the kids.

I have taken his keys for an unspecified amount of time (I'll give them back next week) and I 'sentenced' him to 8 but, as I said, he is a screamer and I couldn't go beyond 5.  The screaming tears me apart and I can't bear the thought of him in that state.  The other boys never did that (thank God!!) and as a result they all razz the heck out of me for "letting Jeff-Jeff get away with murder" and this was no exception.  Darren said to me that, had this been him, "I wouldn't sit for a month and you know it!!"  Never mind the fact that he's never had a spanking of that quality as I'd never give it, I do understand the sentiment.

Thanks Bransom dads!!

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
It's you Yanks that are to blame for that one and all...

Too many rich Americans in fancy sports cars were doing 200+ kmh (125mph) on the 401 and not paying any attention to getting a Canadian speeding ticket...

Not long before the law was passed a US citizen was clocked at 220 (138 mph) just ahead of Cornwall and, not an hour and a half later, after he slowed down, was clocked at 170 (106) just past Coburg and all...

This is rather dangerous especially considering that the right lane is usually blocked by earnest young Honda drivers from Ohio resolutely doing 88 (55) in a 100 (62) zone... by the way - the 401 is posted at 100, but you won't get ticketed until you are clocked at over 120 (75). The OPP want traffic to move at 115  (73) or so , but want to stomp hard on people doing more than 120...

They used to disregard Canadian law... but they don't scoff any longer when they see their Maserati dragged away by Elmer's Backwoods Towing, their driver's license sent back to the authorities in their home state, and they are left waiting in a backwater OPP station for someone to pick them up...

Stevie.

(Not to mention the Texan teenager who was caught driving at 140 (88) on the 401 while drinking beer and with several guns loose in the cab of the truck... this caused a little furor and made the news and all...

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Good lord!!  I'm all for crime 'n punishment but isn't that a tad OTT?  Without me going into the garage to look at the metrified speedo of the Volvo what is the Yank equivalent of those numbers you tossed out?

As a schoolboy of the 70's when the US did its pitiful attempt at metrics I should have never forgotten those @#$^ conversion equations but like most arrogant 'mericans I've consigned that stuff to the trash heap of my brain!

Pi Beta

Deputy
Actually, in the UK, speeding at more than 30mph over the speed limit would involve a court appearance, not a standard speeding ticket. I suspect that the magistrates would impose six penalty points (which for a young driver would mean he would have to retake his driving test), a relatively small fine (probably in the range of £60-£100 since he's not earning) plus a £15 victim surcharge and probably impose a driving ban of 1 - 3 months.

Knowing that, I would not add any additional punishment other than an ear-bending.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Dimitri,

This is for you:

km=mi(0.6213)

Laughing 

Pi Beta

Deputy
David M. Katz wrote:Dimitri,

This is for you:

km=mi(0.6213)

Laughing 

or roughly 5 miles = 8 kilometres, so 50mph roughly equal to 80 kmph.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Thanks guys!!  Laughing 

I actually did go to the garage and looked at Lyn's speedo to assuage my curiosity; I am in amazement at some locality's penalties!!

I have shared them with Jeffy and I think he has a bit more appreciation of just what a "big deal" this is!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum