Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 8/5/14 "A Ticket To A Tanning?" A Dimitri Production

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Jack

Admin
Texas laws are finally showing some common sense when it comes to speed limits. In most of the DFW area (and, I assume, other metro areas) the speed limit is 60 mph. In a few areas, and just outside the metro areas (like between here and Dallas) it's 65. However, if you're traveling south, to Houston, once you get out of (I think Dallas county) it goes up to 75. I understand that, in the open areas of west and south Texas, it can go up to 80 or 85.

While I'm starting to feel that there might be some over reaction to the phrase 'no big deal', I do think there's a difference between a speeding ticket for 65 in a 60 and 85. I wouldn't drive 85 in most places in the area, so it certainly wouldn't be safe for someone with very little experience.

kalico

Sherrif
Yes we are 80 but only on the main freeways but when you hit the larger cities it drops down to 60 till your through them and for me from corpus to dallas that's allot of cities.... Razz 

Hugs kal

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Jack wrote: While I'm starting to feel that there might be some over reaction to the phrase 'no big deal', I do think there's a difference between a speeding ticket for 65 in a 60 and 85.  I wouldn't drive 85 in most places in the area, so it certainly wouldn't be safe for someone with very little experience.  

That's what sent me over the edge on this. Besides the fact it was the second 'its no big deal' hurled at me in a few weeks, the idea that he could be driving that fast and not realize it kind of rocked my foundation a bit.

Because everyone razzed Jeffy about causing Darren's accident he was very 'showy' about being careful. I know that he spoke those words unthinkingly because when we talked about things after he expressed a degree of shocked fright that he was driving that fast and, more to point, how easily he'd been distracted by the beat of the music and the conversation he was having with his friend that lead to him going that fast 'and not even knowing it!' The cop said that had it been just 3 mph more, he would have a court ordered loss of his license for a month and a total fine/court costs nearing a thousand bucks. The insurance situation would remain the same.

Because of this violation, he will go into the 'high risk pool'. This means, as a practical matter, that his rates go from $125 per month to $210; not quite double and he will stay there until next year. Once the first 2 points come off his record he can apply to be placed back in the 'new driver' pool with a surcharge. His new rate next year will be 'only $150/month.  Suspect 

David M. Katz

Marshall
Are you requiring him to pay you back in some way for the fine and the increased rate?

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Jeff doesn't work (even at the farm!!) so he has no 'income' besides his allowance.  I could restrict that I suppose but really at the end of the day I'm eating this one.  I suppose I could impose some additional chores of some variety but again, with Band Camp starting Monday, he's going to be pretty tied up.  Besides, that's when I had kind of planned to give him the keys back so he and Ry could get to the school and back without someone driving them.

In addition to his classic car we rebuilt together, I will permit him use of the truck out of our 'fleet'.  The kids were always allowed to use my pick up in addition to the classics we rebuilt for their use.  If the 'ask nicely' we'll let them use one of the better cars for a special occasion like proms/special dates etc.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum