a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 08-10-14 Lame Rule - A John Boy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
LAME RULE!
A John Boy Production

Jonah is your twelve year old son and Isaiah, also twelve, is your neighbor and Jonah's best friend.  Both boys are very close and are seemingly inseparable. Isaiah is a very well behaved boy and tries his best to follow the rules.  Jonah is also typically well behaved but, of late, he has been vocal about challenging rules he doesn't agree with.  Jonah usually does this with you in an appropriate way.  You do use spanking with Jonah if needed and Isaiah's parents spank their son if needed as well.

Both boys are in seventh grade and, due to the way your district makes school assignments, are starting in the middle school.  There is a liberal dress code with no uniform and students are typically allowed liberty as to how they dress for school.  One of the few rules of dress at the school is that students are not allowed to wear flip-flops or any kind of sandal without a heel strap. Jonah hates this rule as he realizes he will not be allowed to don his favorite footwear and he further doesn't understand why his elementary school allowed his favorite shoes and the middle school doesn't.

It is the second day of the new school year.  The assistant principal decides to take a strict stand against any sort of dress code violations early on. Jonah and Isaiah are walking down the hall together between classes.  You have found a pair of code compliant sandals for Jonah that he likes and finds comfortable. Jonah is completely in compliance with the school's code of dress.  Isaiah has on a pair of soccer slides just like he did yesterday - the first day of school.  Isaiah does not realize his shoes are a violation nor did his parents; Isaiah is otherwise in compliance.  The assistant principal stops Isaiah and asks to speak to him.  Jonah is right there.

ISAIAH - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JONAH - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The assistant principal tells Isaiah that his shoes are in violation and that he can't wear them again and issues a warning.  Jonah decides that it is his duty to defend his friend and to speak his mind about the rule.  Jonah goes on a tirade against the AP telling her, very disrespectfully, how he feels about the shoe rule. Jonah asks why Isaiah was allowed to wear the shoes yesterday but not today. Jonah tells the AP that she needs to be worried about real rule breakers and leave the good kids alone. Jonah concludes his rant by saying, "It's a f***ing lame rule!"

Isaiah is allowed to go to class with just a warning.  Jonah is put in ISS for the day and you are sent an email explaining the problem and the school's action.

Jonah gets home and you ask him about the email.  He admits to everything but maintains he was only defending Isaiah and that the rule is "f***ing lame."

How do you respond to your son?  Is he due more punishment from you or do you consider a day in ISS to be sufficient?

AFinch

Sherrif
He's right. It's f**king lame. And so are at least half the laws on the books in our "three felonies a day" land of the free. It's STILL the rule, and that kind of disrespect will quickly earn him an awful reputation, and cause him terrible, terrible trouble.

I'm going to have a very frank discussion with him about that matter. If he "gets it", then the day of ISS will be sufficient. If he doesn't, then he'll get it--a different way.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I want to explain the source of this BOTD. I shared an incident in chat and JB gave it the BOTD treatment.

Nathaniel's friend Isaac did unknowingly wear soccer slides to school on the second day of school. He was threatened with ISS but his mother was able to bring him in some "legal" sandals to wear. That is all.

We theorized what might have happened had Nathaniel been on the scene and thus this scenario was born.
So, the scenario is "loosely" based in RL.

Jkher

Trailboss
I'm not sure if soccer slides prevent you form learning scratch

There are ways of making a point without dropping the F-bomb though, all the same, it's the school's grief and not mine.

ISS is enough in my mind.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

ivor

Marshall
What the hell are 'soccer slides' was my first reaction. Having googled them I'm now wiser but why on earth are they called that? I don't think you'd want, or be able, to play soccer wearing them.

Seems the fourth of the 3Rs (respect) doesn't get taught much these days.

Jonah needs to earn some fast or I'll be whaling on his butt the next time something like this happens.

Last edited by ivor on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The way kids charge around at that age, particularly where there are steps and staircases it is NOT a lame rule.

Jonah could have attempted a reasoned challenge to the VP rather than a rant.

Then, if there had been any doubt, the F... Bomb has really sealed his fate

Jonah can just slide his pants down ready for a good whaling.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
Honestly, depending on what time that e-mail was sent, this VP and I might be getting into it seriously. ISS is not an acceptable punishment for this kind of behavior, and if I wasn't notified about it in a timely manner, there will be hell to pay.

Having said that, and given the way the scenario describes our history, I think Jonah's getting his butt worn out. To me, he should have had 3 days detention or a paddling for his language and disrespect - ISS is not acceptable, because it causes academic harm to children. What the VP doesn't know is that Jonah apparently has a history of this kind of behavior, and so he's going to get a thorough spanking because I'm sure I've warned him plenty of times before. Only after we have a talk about proper behavior, my expectations, and I remind him that, when he runs his own school, he can make his own rules.

Also, while Jonah was totally wrong, if the VP had sent Jonah on to class and dealt with Izzy privately, the issue would never have arisen.

Jack

Admin
MemoryMan wrote:The way kids charge around at that age, particularly where there are steps and staircases it is NOT a lame rule.

I'm not sure HOW many (hundreds) of times I repeated, "no running in the hall" during my five years of teaching. However, I think that letting them wear shoes that make running less secure would certainly help slow them down.

Also, while not wanting to tread on anyone's toes, and while acknowledging that there just aren't a lot of 'new' reasons to punish a kid, may I point out that this scenario is almost exactly like Kat St. George's story Skater and the Hair Police, from his series The Boy Next Door, back in Feb 2010?

BTW - I pretty much knew what they meant by soccer slides, but we've always just called them slides around here. They're good for poolside and swats.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm pretty much in agreement with Kier. If Jonah seems to understand that his language was inappropriate, then I'll be content to allow the school punishment to stand without any further action from me. The last school district where I taught routinely had the police officers stationed on each campus issue disorderly conduct citations, which carried a $300 fine, to students who used this sort of language. Jonah needs to wise up and make his arguments in an appropriate, respectful manner.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
Seems as if my post didn't get sent this morning.

Anyway, I had written that as soon I read the mail I would stand in the principals office. Banning my son from education is something I would never accept. Of course there have to be consequences, but suspension is not on that list.

ivor

Marshall
Padraig wrote:Seems as if my post didn't get sent this morning.

Anyway, I had written that as soon I read the mail I would stand in the principals office. Banning my son from education is something I would never accept. Of course there have to be consequences, but suspension is not on that list.

Nor would I accept my son swearing at the school VP

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

1strappedboy

Sherrif
ivor wrote:
Padraig wrote:Seems as if my post didn't get sent this morning.

Nor would I accept my son swearing at the school VP

Beyond the reality that this IS *&^%$#@ lame, the use of the 'f-bomb' to a teacher is high up on my list of no-no's regardless of reason. Many of you will remember what happened last year to my Ryan when HE dropped it to the one teacher. While we resolved the matter causing the problem, he got a royal lesson in 'manners' from me.

I don't like ISS any more than I care for out of school suspension. Unless the kids are doing meaningful work it is a vacation and again in our house would have merited 4-6 strop licks just for the earning of a suspension. This little guy would be flirting with 8-10 here.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Sent me an e-mail? I would have expected an immediate telephone call to me or my other half and for him to be kept in isolation until one of us gets to the school.

There is absolutely no justification for him flying off the handle so provocatively nor for his use of the f-word. On only his second day at the school, he's really set himself up for being so very closely monitored that his life is likely to be made a misery unless he toes the line in future.

If corporal punishment is not in the school's armoury, he'll discover it is very definitely in mine. He'll also have to learn extremely quickly how to write in his best handwriting a proper letter of apology to the V.P. and another to the Principal.

When he is able to sit down, we'll have a long discussion about how to go about challenging authority without causing offence and certain backlash (in more senses than one!).

squarecutter

Sherrif
I was with Jonah right up till the use of the F bomb, especially to a woman teacher. Here he stepped over the line. and deserves what he gets. H will be paddled for that by me if the school doesn't do it as th this went beyond respectful disagreement. O ha and yes Pi I agree, a letter of apology will be in the post.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum