You are not connected. Please login or register

8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:10 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
GOOOOAAL!
A Pi Beta Production

You are the headmaster of a school who takes a dim view of truancy. In the local paper the day after your local (Sunderland) football club was playing an evening cup match some 200 miles away from home you see a picture of some of the crowd.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Clearly recognisable in the photograph, in the front row are a couple of boys from your school David Chadwick and George Brown, both thirteen. You check the attendance register and discover that both were absent from school the previous afternoon. One had brought in a note from his mother claiming that he was absent because he was sick that afternoon while the other has a similar note but was clearly written by him. The standard punishment in the school is a six stroke caning.

What will you do?

2 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will do nothing lest the parents accuse me of interfering with their rights to decide what their children do in the evening! The boys did not get to the match by themselves, and I can't afford the loss of tuition money if their parents choose to withdraw the boys from my school!

Iconoclast

3 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:52 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
I will show them the evidence then show the fake note and then see what they have to say then punishment shall be decided.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think first I call the parents of the boys and confirm that the excuses are fake. If both are fake, then the boys receive the standard punishment. If the parent(s) of either boy collaborated in truancy, I need to give consideration to confronting the parent(s) and then asking that the child be withdrawn from the school. I can't very well punish a pupil for something his parent has authorized, but I also cannot have parents contravening the authority of the school.

Kat

5 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
When a boy brings a genuine letter the only thing I can do is either reporting the parents for breaking the law or have a talk with them. A forged letter is a completely different matter. This boy will suffer the consequences. Life isn't fair, after all.

6 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:23 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to call the parents to confirm the excuses are genuine (or not).

If they are not, the boys will receive the standard punishment for their deed (and will likely be in trouble at home too).  If they are genuine, unless the boys missed a final exam as a result, I'm going to let it go.  I refer you to "Boy Meets World", Season 1, Episode 3.  In it, Cory's dad lets him stay up late to watch the World Series, resulting in him falling asleep in class, failing an exam, and getting into trouble.  At the conclusion of the show, teacher and neighbor Mr. Feeney, is telling Cory about a time when his father refused to let him watch a game.  "As a result, the next day in school, I was well rested, fresh, and ready to learn.  What do you suppose I learned?"  "This has to be a biggy--like maybe the Magna Carta.  I have no idea."  "Neither do I--you see, education is not about obscure facts and little test scores. Education is about the overall effect of year of slow absorption of concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving, the whole process so grand and all encompassing that it really can't be threatened by the occasional late night no-hitter. It is important that a boy spend time with his father".

If parents take a kid out of school for something special OCCASIONALLY, I think said kid may well learn more from the experience, or at least have a special permanent memory, that will be more valuable than the missing  of an occasional class.

7 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:55 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
No way I would consider putting the kid out of school for this.

The boy with the legit note gets a pass, the boy with the forged not e gets the standard tariff for forgery?

You know what, on second thought, who the hell really cares? I hope they had fun. I will conveniently loose my newspaper,

8 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:00 am

ivor

Marshall
I would presume that the two are friends in which case I will confront the pair of them together and show them the evidence of the being at the match.

I will then advise the one who brought in the forged note that he is going to be caned. I will then inform the one who brought in the note signed by his mother that if he is man enough to admit that was a ruse I will split the first boy's six stroke caning between them. If he still claims he was ill then he can leave unscathed and the other will take the full six.

PS: I hope for both their sakes that Sunderland didn't get thrashed last night........

PPS: Icono, I would expect this to be a State rather than a private school so there would be no question of loss of fees.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

9 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The issue has complexities and nobody else knows I saw the report.  Looks like case for 'The Nelson Touch'.

However I'll be taking up the case of the forged note.

---- and I have knowledge.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

10 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:21 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
Undoubtedly the boys would be at a state school in this instance.

As the law stands now - but not in the time when c.p. was still allowed in schools, the parents of the boy who brought the "genuine" note (though with a clearly false reason given for his absence) could be fined £200 or taken to court for not getting approval for his absence.

The parents of the other boy, assuming that the lad wasn't a frequent truant, would not be in danger of any such action against them.

It would be difficult for the Head to "not see" the picture since it would have been seen by many of the other pupils, parents an d staff in the school, one or more of whom would undoubtedly bring it to the Head's attention.

I wrote an early MMSA story among similar lines "Following Wolves can be painful" and, in the reader responses got one from someone who said that he's been caught out similarly and had suffered a caning as a result.

11 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:53 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Since the match would kick off some 3-4 hours after school out I don't see many bringing this to my attention.

If they did my answer would be "I'll look into it"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

12 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:33 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Yup if this is down to the boys they get 6 strokes. and because the truancv is apparently aggravated by forgery they can catch up with the schoolwork they missed in lengthy detentions. If the parents are behind this I will remind them of the statutes on school attendance and warn them that the school will act on them should this happen again

13 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:50 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:I'm going to call the parents to confirm the excuses are genuine (or not).

If they are not, the boys will receive the standard punishment for their deed (and will likely be in trouble at home too).  If they are genuine, unless the boys missed a final exam as a result, I'm going to let it go.  I refer you to "Boy Meets World", Season 1, Episode 3.  In it, Cory's dad lets him stay up late to watch the World Series, resulting in him falling asleep in class, failing an exam, and getting into trouble.  At the conclusion of the show, teacher and neighbor Mr. Feeney, is telling Cory about a time when his father refused to let him watch a game.  "As a result, the next day in school, I was well rested, fresh,  and ready to learn.  What do you suppose I learned?"  "This has to be a biggy--like maybe the Magna Carta.  I have no idea."  "Neither do I--you see, education is not about obscure facts and little test scores.  Education is about the overall effect of year of slow absorption of concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving, the whole process so grand and all encompassing that it really can't be threatened by the occasional late night no-hitter.  It is important that a boy spend time with his father".

If parents take a kid out of school for something special OCCASIONALLY, I think said kid may well learn more from the experience, or at least have a special permanent memory, that will be more valuable than the missing  of an occasional class.
Wish my folks took this view. Back in summer 1970 when I was 8 the World cup football was on. It was held in Mexico and England met West Germany on a Sunday evening( our time) in the quarter final. I persuaded my parents to allow me to stay up and watch, the final whistle would be past my bedtime.  Sports historians among you will know that England took a 2-0 lead, elected to substitute their best player and by full time it was 2-2... at which point my parents, no doubt concerned I would fall asleep in class the next day, sent me to bed! I was heart-broken on both counts. Even at 8 I had a bad feeling about the Germans, or at least their football team before I upset anyone here. I was of course still wide awake when my Dad came up after the game and spotted my door open. I think he understood my feelings better than my mother

14 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
poor lad...

but thanks to modern technology you can suffer the match again or enjoy the soccer dresses...

15 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Kat wrote:I think first I call the parents of the boys and confirm that the excuses are fake. If both are fake, then the boys receive the standard punishment. If the parent(s) of either boy collaborated in truancy, I need to give consideration to confronting the parent(s) and then asking that the child be withdrawn from the school. I can't very well punish a pupil for something his parent has authorized, but I also cannot have parents contravening the authority of the school.

Kat

I think this echoes my essential look at this. I realize that the parents have 'final say' and all, but the concept of the notes being forgeries as opposed to actually being written by the boys' parents leads me to think that I may have to "explain" our policy on honesty- affraid .

This would be in addition to the standard punishment for bunking off school.

16 Re: 8/13/14 "Gooooaal!" A Pi Beta Production on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:poor lad...

but thanks to modern technology you can suffer the match again or enjoy the soccer dresses...

Thanks Padraig . I've been given many opportunities to relive the moment!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum