You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
THE OFFER
A DMK Production

In this scenario you are a female and have recently taken employment at a rural school house as the only teacher for a small but growing community.  You have responsibility for the education of sixteen students ranging in ages from six years old to seventeen.  You are paid a weekly stipend but your compensation mostly consists of lodging in a room attached to the school house and two free meals a day at the local inn. The year is 1895 and the sitting is the rural but growing American West.  Order is maintained by the liberal application of a hickory stick to the errant student's rear end as needed.  You do not like to use physical discipline and can usually maintain order without employing the stick.

Your best student is a young man of seventeen named William Adams.  William's father is the local clergyman  and so William has had experience with education in the past and is a good student.  William is polite and often helps you with the younger students.  William is large for his age and well built. You also suspect William has a crush on you although he has made no inappropriate statements or actions

WILLIAM ADAMS - 17
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Francis Smith is, in a word, a terror.  Francis is fourteen and a son of a local rancher.  Francis has no desire to learn but is forced to go to school by his father.  He disrupts the class and bullies the younger students. You made complaint to Francis' father who simply reminded you that the community "paid you well" to teach the kids and he considers Francis your responsibility to handle.

Today, you have had enough with Francis' antics and decide it is time to apply some discipline. You manage to get him in position and have the stick ready and are preparing to deliver a sound thrashing.  Francis is struggling against you and cursing you and making threats toward you.

FRANCIS SMITH - 14 (In Position But Struggling, Swearing and Threatening)
Picture provided by Stevie Weeks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Suddenly you hear William speak up, "Miss, I'll give him his lickin' for ya."

Do you take William up on his offer?

2 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Jack

Admin
No, but I do suggest that, if Francis doesn't settle down and stay in position, I'll have William hold him down. If that doesn't work, I'll tell his father that he's not welcome in school until he can behave, and that my responsibility is to teach the three Rs, which does NOT include how to behave. That's his job.

3 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:32 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Jack

4 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:02 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
I agrree with Jack.I suspect  William has no status as a disciplinarian and such a move could only bring trouble. William holding Francis is the better idea. Better still if the Dad could be persuaded to take the boy in hand. If William were on the school payroll as a student teacher it might be a different matter. In the UK in this period older pupils were used as monitor teachers, mostly girls,  as a kind of training for future careers in education though I'm not sure if that conferred the right to administer corporal punishment.

5 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:Ditto Jack
Ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

6 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
John Boy wrote:
Ditto

Yeah, me too.

7 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
It's 1895. There is no reason for William not to assist and, in fact, it's likely that William would already be assisting in teaching and disciplining the students and all...

I'll accept his offer with pleasure... and watch his awesome muscles rippling as they do their work...

Stevie.

8 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:09 pm

kalico

Sherrif
I'm with ditto for jack!

It doesn't I can't just that I perfer not to....so I think it is time I stood up and did my job!

Hugs kal

9 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Ditto Jack and the others who also dittoed Jack.

Francis's Father's attitude does surprise me though, unless he's trying to foster the belief that Francis and the rest of the family is superior to everyone else. History usually portrays fathers of that time as likely to take a switch, belt, harness or a whip of some sort to their errant offspring.

10 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm

pushkin

Cowboy
Big, big problem here.  She has to be absolutely sure of the relationship between the rancher and the clergyman.   It doesn't sound as though the rancher is a regular churchgoer.  If she has any sense she will not let William administer the thrashing.  That would be asking for unknown consequences.   Guns were part of the family furniture in those days (still are in some places?).

Even if she says "No thank you, William, but you can help me to hold him down", she is taking a big risk.

Unless she is very sure of her place in the community and the degree of support she has  in it, she would be wise to decline.

On this occasion, knowing that the children watching all dislike Francis as a lout and a bully and would love to see him getting it, she should back off, telling him to go and sit down but that he hasn't heard the last of it.   He will think he has won an easy victory.  But if she is worth her salt he will be wrong.

[written before reading earlier responses to this dilemma.]

11 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 am

ivor

Marshall
I'm also in Jack's camp.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

12 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 am

Kai

Deputy
David M. Katz wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Ditto
Yeah, me too.
Stone Man wrote:Ditto Jack and the others who also dittoed
ivor wrote:I'm also in Jack's camp.
Seventh son of a seventh son of a ... Very Happy

13 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:42 am

pushkin

Cowboy
Yes, of course I agree with Jack and almost everybody else.   But I am thinking "What if....?"    The rancher does not sound to me like a man you can reason with.   If the rancher is anything like his son, he is a man you have to be very, very careful with, before you end up with a mega-tragedy.

Just saying......

14 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I suspect that in 1895 teachers were educated rather than qualified.  William's readiness to assist me by instructing some of the younger children will have gained him some credence in the community as well as help him to embed his own knowledge.

Nevertheless I'm not going to take up his offer but I will have him hold Francis down while I thrash him myself because I believe that A WOMAN whipping him to tears in front of all the other children will have a far greater effect than any lickin' William could deliver.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

15 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm not sure that it's such an unusual situation to have an uncooperative father, such as Francis's, during this era. Laura Ingalls Wilder's novel Farmer Boy, based on the childhood of her husband Almanzo, describes a group of rowdy teenage boys who routinely bust up the school and assault the schoolmaster. I think it wouldn't be unusual for a young woman to seek the assistance of a man in disciplining problem pupils, but it's probably a bad idea to have one of her other pupils act in that capacity. Perhaps she should give Francis an ultimatum: either cooperate with his punishment or leave the school until such time as he is ready to cooperate. If Francis refuses to leave, then I think the older pupils are justified in helping to eject him.

Kat

16 Re: BOTD 9/2/14 "The Offer" A DMK Production on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 am

pushkin

Cowboy
Sorry to chip away at this, chaps, but....

"Today, you have had enough with Francis' antics and decide it is time to apply some discipline."

This suggests that he has been allowed to get away with bullying and loutish behaviour many times in the past.   What kind of discipline has been used before, if it is only now that she decides to 'apply some discipline'?   This problem boy should have been nipped in the butt bud long before, and it's no wonder he is kicking and struggling now.

I would love to think that William's strong arms held him down while the lady gave him a sound thrashing, resulting in a permanently chastened and reformed character from then on, but I have my doubts, based on the information given.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum