Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Jack

Admin
Your 12-year old, Jagger, is a huge football fan. When he started middle school this year, he was a bit bummed to learn he couldn't play. He even tried out for towel boy or manager, but was told he had to take regular P.E. this year.

Despite the set back, Jagger has been to as many of the games as he could manage. You increased his allowance a bit, so he could afford to attend most of the home games and still get concessions. The one thing is that you were pretty strict with what he does while he's at the game. You know that he's mostly interested in watching, but you also know that kids have gotten in trouble for messing around other parts of the school that are supposed to be off limits.

The two of you discuss it, agree to some limits, and he's been doing just fine.

You thought.
Jagger, 12, is the one receiving

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last night, you needed to stop and get gas, so you left a bit early, and ended up arriving before the end of the game. You were just waiting in the parking lot, when you saw Jagger walk into the parking lot from outside. You called to him. He looked like a deer in the headlights, but he said good-bye to his friends, and the two of you left.

He was silent most of the way home, until he finally broke down and explained that the game had been really boring, so he and his friends just went over to 7-11, because their drinks were cheaper than the concession stands, and a couple of the guys had wanted Slurpees. He even still had his drink glass with him.

Whatever his reason, it was definitely a violation of the rules. Are you going to make a point of explaining that to him?

2 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
I can't really anser this because no 12 y.o. who wants to play would be left out in our club. I know our club system is fundamentally different to the school based leagues at your side of the great water, but it wouldn't have happened as long he isn't injured. We play real football, by the way (soccer to all Americans).

O.k., our system is far from perfect and I sympathise with your system a lot, but at least in our club Jagger would have been able to play at least part time in any match of his age group.

Anyway, that doesn't solve the BOTD, but I don't feel to punish him. Embarassed

3 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Not the crime of the century. I'm going to discuss why I've made that rule. As a non-football fan, I can see where watching a game in which one isn't personally invested could be less than a lot of fun. And having paid outrageous concession prices at numerous places, I could see wanting to go to 7-11 for something that is both better and less expensive.

If the boys were just tossing a football and not causing trouble, I think a "word to the wise" is sufficient. If it's a repeat behavior, or they WERE causing trouble, I'd up the ante past just words.

4 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think it will be sufficient to discuss the rule and why it is there. Perhpas I do need to allow a trip to 7-11 since the drinks have got to be cheaper?

I will warn Jagger if there is a repeat performance of violating the rules that he will be grounded during the next home game and not allowed to go.

To echo Pad's point: here if you want to be on the team you are allowed on the team regardless of skill. The only thing that will keep you off of a team at school around here is grades or drugs. You might not get much playing time but you can be part of the team.

5 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:56 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
I guess I will ditto the K Klub

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

6 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:58 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
John Boy wrote:I guess . . .

Way to commit there, JB. Razz Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

7 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:46 am

ivor

Marshall
He broke your rules, but it's hard to say "I'm not allowed to go there" when his friends can. I know he should have done but it doesn't seem like crime of the century.

So, I reckon a reminder is called for and when we get home those shorts are coming down for the midway number (that's 9) of fairly firm spanks to his butt. After though I'll tell him that in future he is allowed to go to the 7-11. Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

8 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:05 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The  scenario implies the rules agreed were geared to not wandering round other parts of the school campus causing problems.  

He didn't.  

He left the school premises displaying some financial acumen about managing his allowance, and was returning on time.

Where's the problem?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

9 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:55 am

Jack

Admin
Padraig wrote:,,,in our club Jagger would have been able to play at least part time in any match of his age group.

Pad, that's the problem - you can't start playing football for the school until you're in 7th grade (12 at the start of the year), which means it doesn't match his age group.

MemoryMan wrote:The scenario implies the rules agreed were geared to not wandering round other parts of the school campus causing problems.

He didn't

You're right, that is kind of implied by the reason for the rules, but the scenario states that he flat out broke the rules by leaving the stadium. I thought that implied that the rule was he stayed at the stadium. I can see where there would be some confusion between the two, but where it said, 'He broke the rule', should take precedence in this case (unless your answer is you decide he didn't break the spirit of the rule, I suppose).

10 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:
Padraig wrote:,,,in our club Jagger would have been able to play at least part time in any match of his age group.

Pad, that's the problem - you can't start playing football for the school until you're in 7th grade (12 at the start of the year), which means it doesn't match his age group.

Ah, I missed this point too. Yes, that would be correct. I assumed it was a skill based decision and not a grade based one. Yes, Jagger will need to wait a year.

Although some schools here are experimenting with some teams and clubs for the younger set loosely based on an intramural type of model. In other words a Mrs. Smith's homeroom vs. Mr. Brown's homeroom sort of thing.

11 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Jack wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:The  scenario implies the rules agreed were geared to not wandering round other parts of the school campus causing problems.  

He didn't

You're right, that is kind of implied by the reason for the rules, but the scenario states that he flat out broke the rules by leaving the stadium.  I thought that implied that the rule was he stayed at the stadium.  I can see where there would be some confusion between the two, but where it said, 'He broke the rule', should take precedence in this case (unless your answer is you decide he didn't break the spirit of the rule, I suppose).  

The "spirit" is what I fastened on.  I have a problem with ironclad rules for sensible kids of a reasoning age.  A few may be essential but in general I see them as guidance open to commonsense interpretation.  Stretching them provides a teaching opportunity, normally by discussion, but if the violation is extreme or repeated then more extreme corrections are called for.

In the scenario I don't see nipping out to the 7/11 for a drink a problem, but if I had any evidence they had been out just wandering round town I would have taken different view and his butt would have been at serious risk.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

12 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
By using the store for his purchase, he's "saving" money - money that, presumably, I give him so effectively he's saving me money in that I'll not need to give him as much in future when he goes to games.

Should I punish him for saving me money? No.

Should I punish him for having different restrictions placed on him than his friends and not wanting to admit to his friends that he's being treated like a "baby" compared to them? It would be very harsh to take that line. We'll talk and amend the restrictions.

13 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Jack

Admin
MemoryMan wrote:I have a problem with ironclad rules for sensible kids of a reasoning age.

Yeah, but Jagger is 12 Razz

14 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:43 pm

kalico

Sherrif
part of me says bust him by not letting him go to the next home game just because the BOTD sounds like we had a very good chat about it and he really should have known but I guess I can understand not wanting to have to say no with his friends, so I will agree with y'all and just have a strong talk and say if there is a next without a call your getting your butt busted plan and simple. oh and I'll make sure he has a cell just so he can call.

My seventh grade daughter and her friends have all decided that they are now wanting to go to the Friday night football games for the high school (I go to the high school as I have some friends who sons play and I like to see the kido's play) and the Saterday am games for their middle school. I'm fine with that but I have the same rule, you stay at the game and DONT LEAVE.

hugs kal

15 Re: 8 Sept 2014 - Homeward Bound on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Count me in the K Klub!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum