Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Jack

Admin
This morning, your 9-year old son, Kenny asked permission to go over to his cousin's house. You consented, and he ran to get his bike.
Kenny taking off like he was trying for escape velocity.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A couple of hours later, you call to see if Kenny's staying for lunch. Your nephew hasn't seen Kenny all day, because they haven't been home. After some thought about his route, and a couple of phone calls, you find that he's at another friend's house.

What happens next?

And remember Dad (or Mom), "You told me I could go play!"

2 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:27 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am guessing Kenny went to visit his cousin and found they were not home so he sought out another friend.

In kid think he thought he had permission.

Unless this has been a problem with Kenny before I think this one can pass with just a discussion of the rules in that he should have checked back with me or at least called with the change of plans. (Does he have a cheap cell or would a friend's parent let him use a phone?)

3 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:07 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
He asked for permission to go to his cousin's house. He didn't ask if he could go out and play. When his cousin wasn't home, he should have come home, or at least called and said where he was. The issue isn't really "disobedience" so much as discourtesy, and leaving his dear old dad worried when he wasn't where he was meant to be.

Unless this has previously been an issue, I think a "word to the wise" will do. If it has been a problem before and he didn't think to call, or worse still, sought to mislead me, I'm going to wear him out.

4 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 pm

mahoover

Cowboy
I'm with David on this one.

5 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
I am on the lines of agreeing with Kier.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

6 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 am

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy Im going to ditto miss Leti and Jb as they both have it....

hugs kal

7 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:01 am

ivor

Marshall
I'm I the Kier camp, unless there is any proof that he knew his cousin was going to be out as then it would become a very different matter.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

8 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 am

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I had a little lapse once. 1924, I think it was. Crying or Very sad

9 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:50 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think Kier has this. I will make it clear that I need to KNOW where he is

10 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:53 am

1strappedboy

Sherrif
If this is one of my kids, he's toast!  They were all given phones with a generous allotment of time and they know that if there's ANY change of pre-requested plans/permissions they are to call home and let one of us know about it/get authorizations.

Actually, this is more Lyn's rule than mine but we try to present the proverbial united front when it comes to law enforcement.

11 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Because I am not into micromanaging my kids lives I think Kenny did no wrong, just as he says!

Iconoclast

12 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Jack

Admin
Icono, do you seriously not see a difference between micromanaging their lives and being able to get ahold of him if you need to?

Dmitri - you gave phones to 9-year olds? (Mind you, that's not as surprising to me as it would have been even a few years ago, but still....).

I'm with the rest of the group. Unless this is something he's done before, Kenny is getting off with a stern reminder of the rules. However, there may be a couple of smacks for that 'you told me I could play' comment, since he knows darned well that's not what I said.

This isn't really a real life situation, though my Kenny was the inspiration.

Yesterday, Kenny asked me if he could 'go bike riding'. When I asked, he admitted he was going to go see if anyone was home and playing. I told him that was fine, but he needed to be home in one hour, unless he ended up hanging around some place. He called me after about 30 minutes to say he was at Uncle Dean's.

No trouble there, but it did give me the idea, when I needed a BOTD last night.

13 Re: BOTD 29 Sept 2014 - A Little Lapse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Put me in the Kier Kamp. Kenny asked to go to a specific location. Once that changed He should have called me to ask if it was OK for him to be there instead. I will let him stay.

We will talk about this once he gets home.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum