a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 30 Sept 2014 - The Neighborhood Range: A Mahoover Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
The Neighborhood Range
A mahoover Production

This morning your sixteen year old son Kevin came to you very embarrassed, and asked to talk to you privately. You took him into your office, and asked him what is wrong. He stammers for a while and then tells you that he has a sore on his rear, and it is hurting him too much to sit down. You tell him that you know it is embarrassing, but you need to see what is wrong, and have him drop his pants. When you take a look, you see a raised circular welt that is oozing puss, and obviously infected.  You have him pull up his pants, get a pillow to sit on, and head straight to the urgent care center for professional help. On the drive to the urgent care center, you question him about what happened. He eventually admits that he was hit with a BB. By then you are at the urgent care, so you don't probe for more details, but get him checked in and seen.
Kevin (16)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He is really embarrassed when the female nurse has him take off his pants a lie on the examining table. She drapes an absorbent sheet over him, and says that the doctor will be right in.  The doctor comes in and takes a look. He says that Kevin has an infected abscess, and he is lucky that he doesn't need to be admitted to the hospital for blood poisoning. The doctor gives Kevin a local for the pain, and then lances the abscess and cleans it out. He puts in a drain, and says that it will have to be cleaned with a cotton ball and hydrogen peroxide twice a day. While the doctor is showing you how to clean the wound, Kevin turns beet red and complains about how embarrassing this is.  The doctor also gives Kevin a shot of strong antibiotics (in the other bun), and a prescription for more antibiotics.  And sends you home saying you need to come back in a week, or go straight to the ER if it gets red, or Kevin spikes a fever.

On your way home, you talk to Kevin to find out more about how he got shot with a BB gun. He explains that last week he and his friends (all 15 and 16) wanted to go shoot cans with his BB gun. But John, one of his friends had to take care of his 7 year old brother Alex.  So the boys decided that Alex could come along. Part of the deal you made with Kevin when he got the BB gun is that he is responsible for the BB gun, and to not let anyone that hadn’t taken the appropriate gun safely classes be around when the BB gun was being used.  Alex is too young to have taken the course, but he really wanted to be with the big boys and to hold the BB gun.  Alex was about to have a meltdown, so John promised Alex that he could hold the BB gun while the cans were being set back up. While Kevin was walking down range to set the cans back up, one of the other boys told Alex to point the BB gun at Kevin, and pull the trigger as a joke. Since Alex knew the older boys were in charge, he did what he was told, not realizing it was a joke. All of the boys knew how upset the various parents would be if they found out what happened, so they dug the BB out of Kevin's rear, washed the wound, and put a Band-Aid on it. Everyone swore that they wouldn't tell anyone about what happened.
Alex (7)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When you got Kevin the BB gun at the beginning of the summer, before he could use it, he and his friends had to take the appropriate gun safety classes. While you and the other neighborhood fathers have inspected where the boys shoot cans, and determined it is a safe range for BB guns, you and the boys know that they broke several range safety rules. You do spank Kevin (usually bare, with a paddle), but since he got his license, you have also started using car restrictions. Both methods work well for you.

What (if any) are the additional consequences for Kevin? Is the embarrassment of having to have his abscess cleaned twice a day and the pain involved with the injury enough, or does he need to have his other bun brought to a bright red state?

Padraig

Trailboss
"Unfortunately" this warrants nothing but a talk. I don't see any reason to hurt my boy any further.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Obviously it was OK for 7 Y.O. Alex to shoot the BB gun, but not to touch it until everyone else present was behind him!

The boys need to be taught, that when handling guns of any type, to mainly think about what might go wrong as well as rules!

Iconoclast

John Boy

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:"Unfortunately" this warrants nothing but a talk. I don't see any reason to hurt my boy any further.
I think Ditto, but I may remove the BB gun for a while as well.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
This is a case where the natural consequences are more effective than any punishment.

BBs are not usually removed--we normally left them in place unless they were really easy to get out, and treated with antibiotics. The "digging out" had to have hurt like h__l, and probably did much more harm than good. Kevin warrants no additional punishment. Hopefully his friends have learned that this sort of "joke" isn't funny, and could have caused far worse problems (we're nearing A Christmas Story season--"you'll shoot your eye out"). Alex is 7, and was doing what the older boys he thought were in charge told him to do.

No punishment for anyone, though if I know which friends put Alex up to this, their ears are going to be burning.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Err... Not going to happen.

No son of mine would be allowed to have any type of gun at all... not even a pellet gun... no guns in the house, either...

If he wants to have guns, he can wait until I'm no longer footing the bills and all. PERIOD. FULL STOP.

Stevie.

Stone Man

Marshall
The gun will be put up for awhile. I'd also like ot know who put Alex up to this. I'm not at all angry with the little guy, but one of the older boys as violated the gun safety rules and should face some consequences.

As far as my boy Kev... bare and bent over twice a day? I'm not sure I can restrain myself from lying on a stingoor or two or more to the non-injured areas of his bottom and legs under the circumstances. What a Face

ivor

Marshall
Nothing more for Kev although I'm sorely tempted to take the gun away. I do think I should make John & Alex's father aware of what happened although really the guilty party is whoever encouraged Alex to point and shoot.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Iconoclast wrote:Obviously it was OK for 7 Y.O. Alex to shoot the BB gun, but not to touch it until everyone else present was  behind him!

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? It was okay for him to touch the gun, but not to shoot it until everyone was behind him?

ivor wrote:Nothing more for Kev although I'm sorely tempted to take the gun away. I do think I should make John & Alex's father aware of what happened although really the guilty party is whoever encouraged Alex to point and shoot.

Quit jumping ahead!

I agree with pretty much everyone else. I would probably have said something like, 'NOW, do you understand why I told you to do it this way?", but I honestly don't think he did anything wrong by letting a younger kid hold the gun for a minute, without any intention if the kid shooting it.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going to strongly agree with Kier's and Jack's comments.

mahoover

Cowboy
Kevin is going to loose the BB gun for a very long time. He will have to convince me by his actions that he is more responsible before he gets it back.
And like everyone else, I think the natural consequences are worse than anything I could do. So discussion, and I like the way Jack started it.

Now for truth in advertising, many years ago, I was the 7 year old boy. In real life, the BB gun had only been pumped once, so all that happened was a bruise. But all of the older boys were terrified that their dads would find out. They all believed that they wouldn't have been sitting for a while in that case. As far as I know, the dads never did find out.

And if the scenario is changed so Kevin wasn't seriously hurt, but I found out about him letting a 7 year old hold a LOADED BB gun, his rear would have paid the price in addition to loosing the gun. I agree that letting the 7 year hold the gun is not in and of itself a bad thing, but giving him a gun ready to shoot, and not following the range safety rules is a worthy of correction.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Kier.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
Seems like Kevins already had his "spank" (!) so to speak. He will however go without the BB gun for a while and I will also be talkng to Alex's parents about how Alex pressed his brother and his friends into letting him handle something he wasn't supposed to and am considering talking to the parents of any boy who thought it ok to suggest Alex fire the weapon after aiming it at someone even as a joke. I think when Kevins had a few more embarrassing sessions of having his wound cleaned and dressed by hi mother! he will agree with me

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Obviously it was OK for 7 Y.O. Alex to shoot the BB gun, but not to touch it until everyone else present was  behind him!

Are you sure you don't have that backwards?  It was okay for him to touch the gun, but not to shoot it until everyone was behind him?

I mean what I said: Alex should not touch the gun until he is in position to fire, with everyone behind him (instructor on the side) and then be handed the gun, keeping it pointed down range until he is done shooting!
Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum