Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Jack

Admin
You live in a fairly conservative area, but the school district your son attends doesn't use corporal punishment.

Your 15-year old son, Kevin, is a real rabble rouser.  Several times, you've had to go to school to meet with teachers and principals about him.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You receive another call today.  Kevin's been up to his old tricks again.  This time, he was caught organizing a demonstration against the local incumbent - a conservative who (Kevin claims) uses junk science to support his views, and ignores studies showing that gun control would save lives.  Because Kevin refused to sit quietly and speak politely to the teacher, he's being sent home.  The principal is now considering whether Kevin should get detention, ISS, or suspension; but he's willing to listen to you, or consider how you react to the matter.

Do you have any input?

2 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:43 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie supports Kevin completely and will help him organise the demonstration...

He's a chip off the old block and I shan't punish him at all...

Maybe we'll go out for a nice supper instead.

Stevie. Very Happy

If the school suspends him I'll certainly consider home schooling...

We can discuss Marx and Engels in great detail and all...

3 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
There is a time an a place. Kevin is certainy entitled to his opinion but this will be the last time he does so by disrupting his school as that is not in order. I will accept the suspension on his behalf and he can catch up on outstanding project work and work round home Should this happen again I will paddle him, not for his opinion but for the going the wrong way about expressing it

4 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 am

ivor

Marshall
I can't see that using force on him in this situation will achieve anything. I'm going to try and explain to him that he will probably achieve more if he manages to express himself politely.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

5 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
What the heck is a local incumbent? ........ and where does the teacher come into this?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

6 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 am

Jack

Admin
MemoryMan wrote:What the heck is a local incumbent? ........

A politician who is already in office and seeeking reelection.

MemoryMan wrote: and where does the teacher come into this?

He was doing it in school in such a way as to be disruptive, and the teacher asked him to save it for another time and place.

7 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
There is a time and place for making oneself heard on political matters and very rarely is the classroom that place.

I cannot defend my son for disrupting class, however much I may or may not sympathise with his views. However, judging by the number of times the school has called me in, I've not managed in 15 years to teach him the right way to make his views known. I can't see that trying to impress on him via his bottom rather than his ears will be any more successful in getting the message through to him.

Here (in UK) I'd book him an appointment at the politician's next surgery at our local supermarket to put his views and concerns directly to the politician (and wire him up so that I could hear the exchange!).

8 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Because Kevin refused to sit quietly and speak politely to the teacher, he's being sent home.

Since it appears not the first time he's been outrageously disruptive we'll go out and cut a switch.  Once that has been suitably applied to his bared rump he can write letters of apology to the principal and the teacher concerned in which he will also describe his punishment and the promise he's received of repeat sessions in the case of any further complaints of disruptive behaviour.

Regarding the politics he's entitled to his views but I'll be subjecting him to some forensic questioning aimed at making him aware of some of the "pseudo science" that also underpins them.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

9 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 am

ivor

Marshall
Pi Beta wrote:
Here (in UK) I'd book him an appointment at the politician's next surgery at our local supermarket to put his views and concerns directly to the politician (and wire him up so that I could hear the exchange!).

Pi: Is that where you can honestly tell the politician to 'BOGOF'? Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

10 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
ivor wrote:
Pi Beta wrote:

Pi: Is that where you can honestly tell the politician to 'BOGOF'? Smile

Buy one get one free??? We've too many politicians already!

Seriously - give him the opportunity to tell the politician what he thinks to his (or her) face.

11 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Jack

Admin
Whether I agree with his views or not, I'm glad that Kevin is interested in politics and wants to be politically active.

The scenario should have stated whether any promises were made to Kevin the last time we had trouble of this nature. I'm going out on a limb and assuming either they weren't, or that he hasn't been in this particular type of trouble before.

Considering his age, I'm going to do two things. First, I do NOT want him in ISS, much less suspended, so I'm going to talk to the principal, and suggest that, since the district can't do it, I will be applying corporal punishment, and I'll request that Kevin just have detention and/or community service, rather than something that will harm him academically. I'll have to find out the exact situation in which he was doing the original organizing, but for continuing to be disruptive, and then rude to the teacher, unless he can convince me something entirely different occurred, I think six with the medium Lexan, bare, will make my point.

Then I'm taking him to the headquarters of the candidate of his choice, and see if they'll accept him as a volunteer.

12 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I am definitely starting Kevin in home schooling right away!

I do not know where except school he got an idea that gun control results in less crime! John Lott in his book "More Guns, Less Crime" demonstrates that increasing the numbers of persons licensed to carry guns reduces the crime rate!

Also the worst "junk science" is the so called "science" supporting "global warming" as there has been NO global warming for 17 years and the predicted increase in Hurricanes striking the US has turned out to be a decrease to ZERO for the last 9 years! In real science when the predictions made using a theory don't work out you discard the theory!

Iconoclast

13 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
We will finish up our evening out with a drunken, rousing chorus of 'The Internationale' in front of the principal's house at 2:00 AM after finishing a few drinks together...

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Internationale-ru.ogg  (cut and paste link as usual)

(In Russian and all)

Stevie Twisted Evil

14 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I like Jack's approach.

15 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:26 am

Jack

Admin
Iconoclast wrote: the predicted increase in Hurricanes striking the US has turned out to be a decrease  to ZERO for the last 9 years!  

Iconoclast

You should really, REALLY learn to check facts before parroting them incorrectly, Icono.  For your consideration, I give you Humberto, Ike, and Dolly, all of which hit Texas since 2005. I think you meant to say 'major hurricanes'.

16 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:29 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Ivor.

Kat

17 Re: 29 Oct 2014: Time to Home School? on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:
Iconoclast wrote: the predicted increase in Hurricanes striking the US has turned out to be a decrease  to ZERO for the last 9 years!  

Iconoclast

You should really, REALLY learn to check facts before parroting them incorrectly, Icono.  For your consideration, I give you Humberto, Ike, and Dolly, all of which hit Texas since 2005.  I think you meant to say 'major hurricanes'.

Yes, it was predicted there would be a large increase in major Hurricanes (over force 3) which turned out to be a decrease to zero for 9 years, so far!

Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum