a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/04/14 "You've Won A Prize" A Leti Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
YOU'VE WON A PRIZE
A Leti Production

You have allowed your ten year-old son, Cedric, to have an email account. His teacher communicates via email and the account is for use with his friends as well.  You have gone over internet rules and Cedric has been explicitly told that he is not to respond to any email that is not from his teacher or one of his approved friends.

CEDRIC - 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cedric receives the following email:

Congratulations!  You are our weekly winner!  You have won a  fantastic prize.  To claim your prize please do the following:
Reply to this email with your address and phone number to expedite delivery of your gift.  Our delivery processor also requires a credit card number in order to process delivery.  Please include a credit card number with expiration date with your reply.  You should expect delivery of your prize in ten business days after we receive your information so please do not delay.

Cedric goes in his mother's purse and "borrows" her credit card and quickly replies to the email.  Cedric then replaces the card.

In ten days when his prize does not arrive Cedric asks you for help and shows you his saved copies of the email and his reply.  You immediately check with the card processor and discover the card has been used to its maximum limit ($3000 USD.)  The card's balance was zero as you and your spouse only carry that card for emergencies.  After a few more questions Cedric admits to taking the card out of his mother's purse.  (Another specific rule is he is not to be in his mother's purse for any reason without specific permission.)

What do you do?

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie hopes that Cedric will enjoy never getting a birthday or Christmas present until he's twenty - seven years old...

And learns to like bread and water...

Stevie.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Oh dear - 10 or 90 - both generations tend to fall for this! Both generations are so trusting.

How did he know his mother's PIN is my immediate concern - has she given it him or has she been so careless as to have written it down where she keeps the card?

Once I've explained as gently as possible to Cedric how he has been duped - I'm not going to lose my temper with him just as I wouldn't with my great grandmother if she'd done the same thing (apart from using her mum's card!!!) - I'll be on to the card issuer since without the PIN or the (UK - Barclaycard Secure) passcode needed which isn't on the card, the card issued should not have paid out.

I expect Cedric to be a wailing mess as he comes to realise just what he's done and rather doubt that a spanking/ belting/paddling/switching would be needed except to help him feel that he's been punished for his theft -in effect- of his mother's card from her purse. If he'd taken money, he'd have received a very severe spanking - at least for a 10 year old; though logically he should get the same for this, I can understand him not realising this aweful outcome and will give him just enough to know he's been properly punished without going over the top - however mad I may feel inside.

It's a hard lesson for a 10 year old to learn the very hard way that one can trust nobody with certainty.

Jack

Admin
This definitely qualifies as an unauthorized charge, so I'll just contact the credit card company, and they'll pursue legal action against those who made the charges.

As for Cedric, he and I are going to have a long talk. He's losing most of his computer privileges for a while, and he's getting a deluxe session over my lap to go with it.

It's a shame that this kind of thing happens, but that's why he was supposed to check with me first.

Jack

Admin
Pi Beta wrote:I'll be on to the card issuer since without the PIN or the (UK - Barclaycard Secure) passcode needed which isn't on the card, the card issued should not have paid out.

Pi, what you're describing is, in the U.S. called a debit card. Here, credit cards have a security number on the back, to keep people from taking a picture of the front and using it, but they don't have a separate PIN.

AFinch

Sherrif
I agree with Jack, except that it is possible (though not required) to set a PIN number for at least some credit cards as well debit cards.

The charges are unauthorized and will be taken care of by the credit card company (which will likely seek legal redress against the "unauthorized user" if they can track him or her down.

Ricky and I will have a long talk followed by him getting a deluxe spanking.

Stone Man

Marshall
Put me in the Pi & Jack camps.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Pi sums it up nicely

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
We live in a challenging world.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Pi. In kid-think, the promise of a prize would make it seem logical to take the credit card, as it was done without any intention of stealing. Cedric didn't intend to make an unauthorized charge. I hope everyone checks out Leti (Trixie) and Jkher's story, Andy in Discord.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
I am sure Cedric had no intention of stealing but was acting in the way Kat describes.

While the PIN No would be needed in order to withdraw money, in real life I suspect there would be a daily limit and that the credit cad company would have got suspicious before the card total reached that figure.

However if Cedric had also divulged that Security Code on the reverse of the card then whoever had it would have been able to order goods they could use or re-sell.

I also suspect that the Credit Card provider would in those circumstances play hard ball about a refund.

As for Cedric, as he didn't steal anything while in his Mum's purse I find it hard to spank him for that in the same way as if he had actually taken money.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Pi Beta

Deputy
Our credit and debit cards have a PIN and the credit cards also use a separate security system if used on line - two different ones depending upon whether it is Visa or Mastercard. American Express cards issued by Barclaycard use the Barclaycard Visa system.

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:I agree with Pi. In kid-think, the promise of a prize would make it seem logical to take the credit card, as it was done without any intention of stealing.

True story. I gave someone my credit card number to get a 'free sample' (debit card, actually, I believe). I don't remember what it was, just something I was willing enough to consider using to pay shipping on a free sample. After receiving the sample, I had ten days to decide to cancel or I'd receive monthly shipments. The next day, I received a notice that they'd taken money from my savings to cover a bounced check. No big deal, but I went to check. That company had charged me shipping and the next three months worth of whatever. I did get it straightened out, and got the money and bounced fee refunded, but it's also made me much more suspicious.

I wouldn't consider this stealing on the part of Cedric. If he were older, I'd be very upset with him for not wondering why they needed a credit card just to ship something, but he's young enough I know he wouldn't think of that.

No, the reason I'm spanking is because he violated the rules on his use of the e-mail account, and because he violated his mother's privacy.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Credit cards are like this in Canada too, Jack - you have to have a PIN to use it anywhere...

Which renders my credit card totally useless because I don't use it very frequently and every time I do so, I forget the damn PIN and all... Rolling Eyes

Stevie.

kalico

Sherrif
Im with Pi and Jack

hugs kal

David M. Katz

Marshall
Cedric violated his computer guidelines = loss of the privilege for a week.

Cedric went in Mom's purse without permission = spanking.

Cedric unknowingly allowed a fraud to be committed = a long talk.

I will contact the card processor and get the process started to get the charges reversed. (Although under my agreements that I have I am liable for $50.00) I think I will ask Cedric to do some extra chores or take an allowance hit until a token amount of that $50 is repaid.

We have ALL learned some sad but valuable lessons.

John Boy

Sherrif
I agree with Jack.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum