Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Jack

Admin
This is your 16-year old son, Micah, in his school uniform.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Micah is a junior at Bransom Christian Academy.  Besides being a Christian school, BCA also maintains good educational standards, and they're fairly strict with discipline.  It's what you think a school should be, and you're happy with it overall.  

One thing they do, when there are serious problems, is to call a parent in to help deal with the situation.

And after ten years of a fairly good record, it's become your turn to be called in.

You didn't think anything of it this morning, when Micah told you that he needed to go into school a bit early.  At least, you didn't think anything of it, until you received a call from the principal before you could even leave for work.

It seems there are actually two problems.  First, it turns out that Micah had decided things were a little drab, and he was going to 'volunteer' to help decorate the tree.  He even found a ladder to make sure he decorated things evenly.  The problem was, he wanted to be modest and draw the attention to his contributions, not himself.  When he heard someone coming, he tried to jump down off the ladder.  What he managed to do was kick it over one way, while catching his jacket sleeve on the tree, pulling it over.

The school would have called you sooner, but some time was spent making sure Micah hadn't been injured.

He only wished he had been.

The tree was only damaged slightly, and it was an old tree.  They had spare ornaments, so that wasn't a problem.  The support arm of the ladder was bent a bit, but nothing serious.  The serious part is that the ladder fell into an interior window, breaking one of the panes.  When they had to replace one last year, it ran $227.34, because of the way it's framed.

The second problem is the 'decorations' Micah had chosen for his enhancement effort.

The principal actually considers the decorations more serious than the damage, since the tree is in the front entry of the school, where parents and younger students would have seen it.

After the situation has been explained, the principal (and Micah) are waiting to hear your idea of a fair solution.
Bonus Question:

Would it make any difference, if the principal tells you that he knows a man - a part-time teacher and the parent of several students - who owns a business, who hires a lot of high school and college kids, and who says he always needs extra help around the holidays.

2 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:56 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie thinks it's funny and is going to tell the headmaster not to be such a stuffed shirt and all.

Perhaps it's time to find another school and all... Maybe The Darwin Atheist Academy would be a better fit for our family... Very Happy

Stevie.

3 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:00 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Such a fuss over water balloons....

Seriously, I'm going to make sure Micah knows why this was neither funny nor appropriate for the venue. He'll make an apology to the principal, and submit to whatever school punishment is specified.

With respect to the generous offer of the part-time teacher, Micah will be working to pay for the damage he accidentally caused.

4 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Eh, I dunno!  On one hand, I don't see this as the crime of the century yet it is utterly inappropriate ( particularly if there are much younger ones who could see this) so that ups the ante for me a bit.  If this was really one of mine, he'd probably be sentenced to 10-12 of my very best strop strikes and be responsible for paying for the glass.  Given our bonus question, yes; I'd let him work it off via someone other than I, though I'd still probably have initially told him that because of the cost of the glass it would be the complete dozen but announced at the 6 that he'd work it off.

I think we'd also have a discussion as to why it's inappropriate to hang rubbers on a tree that can be seen by 'littles'!

5 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:23 am

ivor

Marshall
I'll align with Kier on this one. As Micah has a very good track record at the school I see no reason to add to whatever punishment they decide to impose for this prank. He is definitely going to pay for the repair whether he opts to do that by working for my friend or finding another job with someone else  is up to him.

Last edited by ivor on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : resolve a couple of spelling errors)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

6 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:51 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Well obviously I'm going to be billed for the window though I do see the actual breakage as an accident. Micah will be contributing to that and we will discuss that at home. It is how the breakage came about that will cost Micah.  If the school decide on swats I have no problem but I won't add to that at home. I am quite sure the Principal will do a thorough job

7 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 am

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Hmm. scratch Tricky one, this.

8 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
Except for the "decorations" this was basically all an accident but I think that Kier's response is reasonable.

9 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
The glass is covered by insurance ( whether mine or the school's we have to find out). Otherwise it was a school prank and it's the school's business to deal with.

10 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:Except for the "decorations" this was basically all an accident but I think that Kier's response is reasonable.

Breaking the window was an accident, but it's an accident that only occurred because he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing. That is, if he hadn't been breaking the rules, the accident wouldn't have occurred.

This was based on a RL situation, and the Dad in the scenario was harsher than any of you have been. Of course, that might have been because of something I left out of the scenario - the condoms used as tree decorations were 'borrowed' from a drawer in Dad's bedroom.

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago, and the principal talked to me about Micah working for me, when I went in that day. As I indicated, I almost never have enough help during the lead up to Christmas, when the college kids are taking finals, so I was happy to help him. He's not especially into comics, but he's smart and worked hard.

He and I talked a few times, and I found out that he did get a pretty serious paddling, and his dad agreed to it being bare. His dad didn't follow up on the corporal punishment, but he was grounded, except work and home, and I was asked to send a copy of his times home with him. From a couple of things he's said, it sounds like Dad threatened corporal punishment if he got into any more trouble or tried to skip out on his grounding, but nothing came of that, as far as I know.

I did write a check for him, to the school, to clear him, and he's still working there, earning money for himself now.

11 Re: 24 Dec 2014 - Decorating the Tree on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Real life sounds like a really good solution to me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum