a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/8/15 "Every Dog Has His Day" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY
A DMK Production

Wade is your thirteen year old son.  Wade is still subject to spanking if needed. Your family has two dogs, Shadow and Sebastian.  Recently Shadow became very ill and things were touch and go for a while.  The good news is the vet says Shadow will make a full recovery but he is still very weak and needs to take things easy.  Wade enjoys hiking in the hill country near your home with the dogs.  It is still too soon for Shadow to accompany Wade as the dog still needs to recover.

You and the vet have explained this to Wade.  Wade seems to think Shadow looks and acts fine and feels like the dog is back to his old self.  This morning Wade headed out for a hike and took BOTH dogs with him.  About a mile in to the hike Shadow started falling behind and got very weak.  Wade stopped and has Shadow resting.  Wade has called you on his cell and has explained the situation and has asked you to drive up the trail in your truck and collect him and the dogs.

WADE - 13 (With Shadow and Sebastian)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What happens?

db105

Trailboss
After taking care of the dog, I will have a talk with Wade. I'll praise him for calling me when he saw Shadow was in trouble. However, we'll also talk about the choices he made and how he doesn't necessarily know more than the vet about a dog's health issues, and about the possible consequences for Shadow. I believe he'll end up agreeing that a spanking is in order.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Jack

Admin
This is direct disobedience. However, I also have to wonder how Shadow would have felt about being left behind.

I am going to calmly talk with Wade, and I'll ask if he now understands that other people do have some knowledge and experience he might not have, and that sometimes he might need to listen to them. I'll ask him what he'd do if I wasn't available to come get the dog. I'll also ask him if he can give me a reason I shouldn't wear him out for disobeying me.

I doubt he'll try hard to come up with one.

The truth, however, is that he's had a scare, and I think that's enough for this time.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Dogs and other animals, are very good at hiding how sick they are since, in the wild, any sign of weakness means that one is an immediate target for predators, so it's not entirely surprising that Wade misread the signs. Indeed, it may not have been his original intention to take both dogs but Shadow showed his usual enthusiasm to accompany him.

Having taken both dogs, he's now done the right thing and I'd be reluctant to punish him because that might induce him another time to try to hide his errors. He could, after all, have tried to return home and done Shadow more damage or tried to carry Shadow back, risking damage to the dog and himself.

I'm content that he's learned his lesson - indeed, I suspect all I need to do is to ask him where he went wrong and he'll probably tell me more than even I might bring up.

Indeed, if I do punish him, it will be for going hiking in unsuitable footwear with no ankle protection!

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm with the consensus.

Wade was unwise at the outset but took exactly the right action when the chips were down.

He will have learned far more today than any punishment could teach.

I can just visualise the accusing look in Shadow's eyes when he saw Wade preparing to go out with Sebastion

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

kalico

Sherrif
DITTO......

hugs kal

Stone Man

Marshall
Wade has demonstrated both the immaturity of a thirteen year old and the maturity of a thirteen year old in one incident. Having made a serious mistake, Wade didn't think of himself, instead taking appropriate action to help his dog. Once I have them all home and the dog recovering, I'm sure Wade will be ready to talk.

Presuming Wade has been behaving himself lately, I think the talk will be all that is necessary this time.

I will, however, give him a couple of stingoors to remind him that I will always be behind him. Razz

ivor

Marshall
I'm with Pi for the reasons he stated. I don't see this as a punishable offence although I have to say he would have been more sensible to test out Shadow's abilities over a shorter, easier walk before going on a cross country hike.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
What bothers me here is that Wade seems to have acted much younger than a 13 yer old, more like an 8 or 9 year old. He surely understood Shadows need to take it easy. I give him credit for not ducking the issue and calling me straight away but that cannot entirely save him from going over my knee. I twill be mild in comparison it the chewing out he getsas I need to drive it home that he can't disobey becausde he thinks at 13 that knows better than the vet or his parents what Shadow needs right now

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Like Ivor, I agree with Pi's well reasoned answer.

Kat

Murray Campbell

Cowboy
Ditto the dittos.

Jack

Admin
(Somewhat) Off topic, but...

Pi Beta wrote:Dogs and other animals, are very good at hiding how sick they are...

The very first pets I had, after getting my own place, were Black Cat and Cocoa. They were have Siamese litter mates. Their mother was tiny, but both of them were slightly above average size. Cocoa (whose original name was snowball - she never had Siamese markings, but she went from solid white as a kitten, to develop chocolate point coloring) was especially talkative, and also very smart - she had a lot of personality.

I remember one time, not long after Cathy and I had separated, so probably late '97, when Cocoa had been acting really weird all evening. I asked Steve, and he said she'd been unusually quiet since he got home from school, so I bundled her up in a towel, and had him drive me to the 24 hour, emergency vet.

As soon as the doctor saw us, she was acting perfectly normal.

That's when the doctor had told me that, unless they were in 'their den' and only with people they knew and trusted, dogs and cats would do everything they could to hide their symptoms, for exactly the reasons Pi said. He had Steve and I describe what she'd been doing, and checked her out. I'm not even sure what had been wrong now, but he got her fixed up.

It's just that I still remember her being all 'nope, no problem - take me home now, please', as soon as we got to the doctor's office.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum