a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 01/15/15 "Stanley's Stuffies" A Late Chat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
STANLEY'S STUFFIES
A Late Chat Production

Your son, Stanley, has his fourteenth birthday tomorrow.  Stanley is still subject to spanking but he has had a great year of behavior.  Stanley's last spanking was a week before his thirteenth birthday. You and your SO have discussed not needing to utilize spanking with Stanley any longer.

Stanley has always loved stuffed toys and stuffed animals.  (Stuffies, plushies, etc.)  He has a very large collection and they sit all over his room.  You and your SO have no idea Stanley still plays with his stuffies nor that his collection is very special to him. Stanley has said that for his birthday he wants the theme of his room changed to something "more manly and adult." This can be achieved simply with a new rug and some new curtains and bedding. You and your SO decide that you will re-theme Stanley's room and give him a "man cave" complete with a new flat screen TV as his birthday gift.  Your SO is going to take care of the changes today while Stanley is at school.  He will come home to an early birthday surprise.

This is Stanley this morning before he finished getting ready for school and he is happily having fun with some of his collection of stuffies.

STANLEY - TURNS 14 TOMORROW (With just part of his collection)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As soon as Stanley leaves for school your SO sets to work.  As part of the room makeover all of Stanley's stuffies are boxed up and stored in the garage waiting for the next yard sale or charity toy drive.  Your SO simply assumes that part of Stanley's request for a "manly" room would involve removing the stuffies. The new rug, curtains, bedding and TV are installed and all is ready for Stanley's return from school.

Stanley comes home and is immediately thrilled with his new man cave but then he suddenly realizes his stuffed toys are gone.  He has what can only be described as a melt down or tantrum on your SO.  He begins screaming and crying and cursing and demanding his stuffies.  Your SO is not even able to get a word in to explain what happened to the stuffies. You walk in from work right in the middle of Stanley's tirade.

What happens?

Pi Beta

Deputy
How could we be so unaware of his needs? Are we unaware that some may be collectors items for "The Antiques Roadshow" in 50 years time and worth an absolute packet. They are his and his to decide what to do with them - not me, not my SO. We have no right to dispose of them without his agreement - I'm sure that many will have been given to him by relatives and some bought with hsi own money.

He gets them back immediately and we have as long a talk as necessary to calm him down coupled with may apologies for completely misunderstanding and misreading him.

Jack

Admin
In the first place, this was a very kind and thoughtful, but pretty stupid idea. He's the one who has to live in the room, so he should have been consulted. I think it would have been hard for me to be excited about the same gift, without losing my stuffies.

I am going to cut off the tirade, and believe me, I can do it. I will let Stan know that the stuffies are safe, and that we can go get them right now. Once the source of his upset is gone, I'm going to point out that the way he reacted was ridiculous, and all he had to do was ask. At the bare minimum, he owes my SO a major apology.

After the stuffies are back, and apologies are made (on both sides), we can kick back and see what he really thinks of the room.

Padraig

Trailboss
I can understand his reaction. I was upset for days if not weeks when my mother threw away my one and only special stuffy.

Nevertheless, as a parent, I think there's nothing to add toJack's approach.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie's dad quietly disposed of 'Teddy' when he (Stevie) was seven years old and Stevie did not make a fuss about it...

A fourteen year old boy should not be messing around with stuffed animals... it's about time they were thrown out... he's not a baby and all...

Stevie.

John Boy

Sherrif
I agree with Jack.

JB and his Minion say you're never too old

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Fenz

Cowboy
Minions are awesome.

And here is what SO needs. 

Idiot.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I also think Jack has the right idea here.

JB, my "ancient" owl also agrees with you.  I have had him since I was five years old.  You're never too old.

Yes, he is hand made. I wanted an owl and apparently in 1969 no such stuffie existed so my mother had a friend make him. He is showing his age and he has been repaired a few times over the years.

ivor

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:Stevie's dad quietly disposed of 'Teddy' when he (Stevie) was seven years old and Stevie did not make a fuss about it...

A fourteen year old boy should not be messing around with stuffed animals... it's about time they were thrown out... he's not a baby and all...

Stevie.

Nice idea Stevie, but in view of what Pi said about the stuffies being potentially valuable, why not keep them and throw out Stanley? Evil or Very Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm with Jack.

Stanley is fourteen for goodness sake.  The moment he asked to have his room redecorated in a more manly fashion was the moment we should have started discussing exactly what he wanted and how best to display/store the stuffy collection littering the place.

His outburst at the disappearance of his treasured collection is understandable but not excusable.  He will be taken to task for that but not punished.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think the first question should have been does that mean getting rid of the stuffies. I will reassure Stanley that the stuffies can be retrieved. As I recall teen dens they used also to be teen hangouts but may be Stanley doesn't mind his friends seeing the stuffies. Only if Stanley said anything really unpleasant to his mother will I consider any form of punishment. Perhaps though Stanley isn't growing up quite as fast as we thought

Jack

Admin
StevieWeeks wrote:A fourteen year old boy should not be messing around with stuffed animals... it's about time they were thrown out... he's not a baby and all...

Stevie, you might want to keep in mind that this site is administrated by a man who not only operates comic book stores, but who has a collection of comics and action figures, and who has Batman and Captain America posters on his bedroom walls. He is NOT a person who thinks chronological age means you're no longer allowed to enjoy something.

Murray Campbell

Cowboy
I go with Pi Beta on this one, OK it was supposed to be a surprise for Stanley and surprises are fine up to a point, in this case I feel Stanley should have been consulted first, it is after all his room. You and your SO could have had a good time going over a particular theme with him for his bedroom. You were lucky Stanley was thrilled with it, but what if he hadn't been and wanted something different.

StevieWeeks wrote:A fourteen year old boy should not be messing around with stuffed animals... it's about time they were thrown out... he's not a baby and all...

What about Radar in M*A*S*H? He still slept with his teddy bear, then there's Lord Sebastian' Flyte's teddy bear Aloysius in Evelyn Waugh's novel Brideshead Revisited.

BTW I still had all my toy cars until I was 17, I sometimes played with them too.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I don't see any reason to make this overly dramatic. I'll just tell him the stuffies are safe. When he realizes they're not gone for good, I'm sure he'll apologize to his other parent.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:I don't see any reason to make this overly dramatic. I'll just tell him the stuffies are safe. When he realizes they're not gone for good, I'm sure he'll apologize to his other parent.

Kat

I think Stanley already took that choice out of your hands Razz

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:I don't see any reason to make this overly dramatic. I'll just tell him the stuffies are safe. When he realizes they're not gone for good, I'm sure he'll apologize to his other parent.

Kat

I think Stanley already took that choice out of your hands  Razz

I can't prevent Stanley's dramatic reaction but I need not contribute to the scene by feeding it. At his age, drama is the norm. At mine, it takes too much out of me.

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum