Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Jack

Admin
Ben, is your 16-year old son, and the two of you live alone together.

You've tried alternate punishments with Ben, but a good, school style punishment (though usually with less clothing) seems to work best for the two of you.

Now that football is over, Ben is getting really serious about the track and field events, and is trying to stay on his weight lifting schedule. The problem is that Ben is an only child, and he likes to work out at times that aren't convenient for you. You've told him numerous times that he needs to either have a friend over, or wait until you can spot him.

You just walked in on him like this.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"But Dad, I wasn't doing military press, so I don't need anyone to spot me?"

Does he not need spotting right now, or is it something else he needs?

jackson1

Kid
Since this is a safety issue and presumably the consequence was known, time to fetch the paddle.

AFinch

Sherrif
I don't know enough about free weights to comment intelligently. If he's just lifting to his weight, or chest, though, and not over his head or chest with him supine, where even I can see it's a safety issue, I'm going to settle for a reminder.

John Boy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:I don't know enough about free weights to comment intelligently.  If he's just lifting to his weight, or chest, though, and not over his head or chest with him supine, where even I can see it's a safety issue, I'm going to settle for a reminder.
I agree with the doc

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
But, son, you are forbidden to work out by yourself and that's final... this is a safety issue and I'm not willing to bend on the issue. You could injure yourself seriously and there'd be no one to help you...

Trousers down and bend over... or alternatively, we can advertise all your workout equipment on EBAY and all...

Stevie.

David M. Katz

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:But, son, you are forbidden to work out by yourself and that's final... this is a safety issue and I'm not willing to bend on the issue. You could injure yourself seriously and there'd be no one to help you...

Trousers down and bend over... or alternatively, we can advertise all your workout equipment on EBAY and all...

Stevie.

DITTO and all.

7 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I understand Ben's thinking. Unless I hear from others of the danger he faces doing what he was doing I'm inclined to let it go with clarification of exactly what I must be present for.

Fenz

Cowboy
(answer in bold, the rest is just my yakking)

hmm.. best guess? bicep curls.

If he's doing a bicep curl and gets caught short, he can drop the dumbbell onto the weights mattress without too much trouble. Though you still can have a spotter stand in front of him with hands under the curl bar.

In general, exercises should always be spotted if they require a weight to be passed over the head (such as the bench press) or if they require a weight to be placed at the neck or shoulder (such as the squat).

In fact, simply having a spotter is not necessarily enough to ensure weightlifting activities are done safely; the spotter also needs to be familiar with their role and be able to assist enough with the weights being lifted. The main goal of a spotter is to keep the weightlifter safe (ensure proper technique, protection from dropping, protection from straining) and prevent them from injuring themselves or others, and perhaps to protect the equipment too. A spotter can also be your 'cheerleader', a source of motivation, confidence, and improvement.

To do without a spotter, it really depends on your level of experience, how much relative weight you are lifting, and where you are in the day's workout (energy depletion).

Hopefully Ben did not increase his weights without a spotter. For now, just a verbal reminder that I would prefer him to have a spotter (even better if it's me and not some friend), no matter how safe he believes it to be.

Side note, never spot anyone doing power exercises as it can be dangerous to both you and the lifter...

ivor

Marshall
I'm sure there must be certain things he can safely do on his own so perhaps you need to clarify what is permitted.

Alternatively if you don't trust him to just do those then I'd suggest you get a lock for the door of the room in which the equipment is kept.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

10 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:01 am

bottomspank

Wrangler
Hmmm. I think I'm gonna trust Benny on this one. He wasn't doing a bench press or anything over his head. He looked like he was just doing some lateral raises for his shoulders and traps. In those circumstances, I think that's okay.

But maybe some clarification on the rules is in order.

11 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:15 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think a warning this time . IF I I havent said no weights at all without me or a competent person around then their would be no discussion

12 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:40 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier on this one.

Kat

13 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm with Kier too - a reminder

...............then, looking at his physique I'll ask him if he minds taking a spanking for breaking the rules. Laughing

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

14 Re: 2 Feb 2015 - Other Uses for a Weight Bench on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:35 am

Jack

Admin
I think my big problem here was terminology. I'm not positive if Ben does or does not need a spotter for the exercises he's doing. On the other hand, I feel like he does need someone around to help out if there's an accident. And, since Ben is a teenager, I'll probably have to remind him that they're not called accidents because we plan on and expect them.

If he was doing light stuff - dumb bells, for instance - I probably wouldn't worry (so much). As it is, I think I'm just going to remind him that I've been in more accidents than he has, and that I know how hard it is to think straight and do what needs to be done when you're in shock and/or serious pain. Maybe the two of us can sit down and decide which exercises he can do alone, and which he needs a partner for, or maybe we need to talk to his coach.

Either way, I'm going to remind him that the paddle is still in the same place, and the time to discuss rules (or his interpretation of them) is before he's caught breaking them.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum