a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/3/15 "Inclined To Be A Bit Scatterbrained" A Stevie (No Poo) Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Inclined To Be A Bit Scatterbrained
A Stevie Production

You are a single father with a sixteen year old son named Alastair, who is generally a good kid, although inclined to be a bit scatterbrained and thoughtless at times. You have warned him on several occasions to be more careful when he is using his IPhone since he tends to be a bit oblivious when he is texting one of his friends... last week he walked into a telephone pole while doing so and came home with a nasty cut on his forehead.  

One Saturday morning, you are doing some chores around the house while Alastair is out doing some shopping at the local mall, which is within walking distance and does not require the use of the car. The telephone rings and you receive a call from one of the neighbours, who is just a little agitated.

It seems that Alastair was texting while walking home from the mall, and stepped right in front of your neighbour's car against the traffic light; the man had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting your son and was badly shaken by the incident...  his car skidded for some distance before coming to a stop in the nick of time. He parked his car and called you to let you know what had happened... apparently Alastair was not even aware that he'd had a narrow escape from a serious automobile accident (since the car was equipped with anti-lock brakes, there was, of course, no telltale screech from locked wheels).

The door slams and Alastair walks into the room... still texting and completely disregarding his surroundings...

What do you do?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alastair crossing the street with his Iphone

David M. Katz

Marshall
Looks like that phone will be mine for the next week.

He may be scatterbrained but I don't want his brains scattered.

Jack

Admin
I take the phone.

I'm going to tell Al about the phone call I just received, and he and I are going to have a long talk.

I think this is a situation where we're going to have to agree on something for it to be effective, but I'm going to be VERY intolerant of any attitude right about now.

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to ask him about the phone call I just received. Then unless I hear something from him to change my mind (doubtful), I'm going to take his phone and set him to research The Darwin Awards. Without intervention, it appears he'll all too soon be a recipient.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
AFinch wrote:I'm going to ask him about the phone call I just received.  Then unless I hear something from him to change my mind (doubtful),  I'm going to take his phone and set him to research The Darwin Awards.  Without intervention, it appears he'll all too soon be a recipient.

I agree, Kier!

Iconoclast

Padraig

Trailboss
There are apps that show you the ground in front of you while using the phone. It seems, there are more people around with that kindof brain.

Anyway, his phone gets a rest for a while, though that will probably kill him instantly

David M. Katz

Marshall
Padraig wrote:
Anyway, his phone gets a rest for a while, though that will probably kill him instantly

So true. My kids would rather have an arm sawed off than not have their phone. Al will probably start begging for a spanking as soon as I ask for the phone.

Stone Man

Marshall
Padraig wrote: Anyway, his phone gets a rest for a while, though that will probably kill him instantly

So true.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I can talk to him, although perhaps a text might work better. I can even take his phone for a while - - but at the end of the day he's just proved himself to be a normal teenager.

Hmm!  How about some extra insurance??

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Fenz

Cowboy
To be honest, I'm sort of guilty of this. I don't walk into traffic (okay, maybe sometimes, but please don't take my phone) but I do stop and stand at the side of the road using my phone Very Happy (texting, checking email, etc). The funny thing is that sometimes the cars will stop right in front of me (but these are mostly the.. umm concerned older folks), as the drivers will assume that I need help getting across the busy road.

In this case, since we have probably talked to death about this particular issue when he came home with an injury from walking into the telephone last week, I'll send a text to Al (since he is ignoring me Sad), "Hello son, welcome home. How was your trip to the mall? Anything happened on the way home?"

We'll talk about the interesting conversation I just had with Mr. XYZ, how he nearly ran Al over...  I shall graciously allow him 5 mins to get his affairs in order, send his last texts, tell his friends about his mean psycho dad, then say goodbye to his phone. After that, the phone is mine for the week. Yes, I'm serious, it's coming with me even if I have to surgically remove it from his person Very Happy

Arguing will eat into the 5 mins.. I'll probably tell him that if this happens again, I'll pass his iphone to his younger brother and he can use the simple cell from now on. It can make calls, maybe send texts and comes with a torch and radio, SOS button too. More than sufficient. Less of a distraction. And I still can contact him. Problem solved.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'll let him know immediately about the call I've just received - snatching the phone from his ear or hand if necessary to get the urgency of my message across.

I'm inclined to the view that his electronics should be replaced by a simple mobile telephone with no gimmicks, no text ability, such as are available to those with poor eyesight and arthritis and let him explain to his friends why he's got an "oldies" phone.

I will also see whether he can still remember the use of a fountain pen and paper, since I'll insist that he writes a letter to the neighbour apologising for the shock he's given him - and check it to ensure he doesn't use any text shorthands, rewriting it as many times as necessary to make the letter perfect in spelling and grammar!

He will get his original phone back when he convinces me that there is no way that he'll never again use the phone in such a carefree way.

I don't want to have to see him in a hospital bed with serious head injuries that leave him with permanent personality changes.

squarecutter

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:I'm going to ask him about the phone call I just received.  Then unless I hear something from him to change my mind (doubtful),  I'm going to take his phone and set him to research The Darwin Awards.  Without intervention, it appears he'll all too soon be a recipient.
 I think that an excellent approach

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I can't add much to the excellent answers already given.

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum