a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/12/15 "Lord Algernon's Little Indirection" A Stevie Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
LORD ALGERNON'S LITTLE INDISCRETION
A Stevie Production

You are the Earl of Glossop in the year 1890, and consequently you have a large household of servants, some of whom are young and attractive females.

Your 16 year old son and heir, Lord Algernon, is not quite your pride and joy... he is ill behaved, arrogant, and performs very badly in school... the only thing positive about him is his appearance - he is quite a handsome lad. He is also, as you are well aware, rather sexually precocious for the era, and you've had to speak to him sharply several times lately about his propensity to flirt in an inappropriate manner with the chambermaids.

That evening, the butler, Griggs, begs your pardon after dinner and informs you that one of the young women who works in the kitchen is in the family way... and she insists that Lord Algernon is the responsible party.

Upon your taking Lord Algernon to task, he freely admits having illicit sexual relations with the girl and further states that he doesn't see what the fuss is about: after all, she's only a servant...

What will you say to that, and, will you punish him for it (remember that it is 1890 and there are not many limits as to how you can punish the boy.)

Lord Algernon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think the first task I have is to insure that the girl and her baby are taken care of but in such a way that will not bring disgrace to the family. (Perhaps the new groom I just brought on would accept "responsibility" and then do the honorable thing by the young lady? I would pay him well for his "services.")

Will punishing Algernon make the girl un-pregnant? I will probably take him the stables and thrash him with a riding crop just for my troubles. I will then ship Algernon off to a secluded boarding school on the continent. (Someplace that still utilizes the cane and birch.)

AFinch

Sherrif
If it's 1890, and "she's only a servant", I'm probably going to take Little Lord Algernon out to the pub and stop at a brothel on the way home by way of congratulations, before referring everyone here to The Marriage of Figaro, which predates this scenario by at least 100 years. Victorian morals were very much a public thing--privately, they were apparently both quite adventurous and accomplished. They just belived in "polite fiction" instead of shoving everything down everyone else's throat.

If it's today, I'm going to a lot less tolerant. He'll be in for the hiding of his life, before being shipped off to a boarding school where the cane is still employed, even if I have to send him to Singapore to find such a place.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I am going to remind my young "Gentleman" that because she is a servant we and he have great responsibilities here. Does he really want to be responsible for the destruction of a poor girls reputation and likely chance of either a livelihood or a husband. Does he want the mother of his child to be a gin-soaked whore. 

Then I will ask a Footman to make a back for him while two more servants bare his behind and hold him in position. I will then flog him unmercifully with a cane and he can be greatful it was not a birch.

He will then be sent to stay with an extremely boring Aunt for the rest of the hols and his allowance cut. I will make an English Nobleman out of him yet. Oh and the child will be adopted by the family and the matter swept under the carpet

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie made a huge mistake with this picture. Can anyone spot what the indication is that the boy is certainly no a member of the aristocracy and all?...

Stone Man

Marshall
Good answers Gentlemen. I could not do better... or as well.

ivor

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:Stevie made a huge mistake with this picture. Can anyone spot what the indication is that the boy is certainly no a member of the aristocracy and all?...

I'd say the suit doesn't look to be of aristocratic quality and it also looks as if his valet hasn't done a very good job on polishing his shoes. But surely no aristocratic young gentleman would be seen out and about with his jacket unbuttoned?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'll make him go into the military, and hope that a convenient skirmish on some foreign soil will rid me of him forever. As to the maid, I'll take Katz's approach.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Not having been around at the time, I can only guess (and I'm resisting the urge to defer to Ivor's experience, so he doesn't have to go through the trouble of traveling to Texas to beat me).

From my understanding of the times (which agree largely with Kier's), I'll offer to pay her off and send her on her way, else I shall dismiss her as a lying (promiscuous female) and have her charged with attempted extortion.

On the other hand, if I had to give up my desire to become a member of the clergy to uphold my family duty or some such, then I'll go with Kier's second choice - I shall birch him until he can't walk, then, while he recovers, I'll find a school for him, where they can beat some good qualities into him.

pushkin

Cowboy
StevieWeeks wrote:Stevie made a huge mistake with this picture. Can anyone spot what the indication is that the boy is certainly no a member of the aristocracy and all?...

I've ogled and ogled and I honestly can't see what Stevie is getting it.   The lad looks averagely well dressed, and certainly far better than the Earl of Emsworth, the pig fancier immortalised by P G Wodehouse.

Please tell us, Stevie, so that we can have the pleasure of disagreeing with you.

pushkin

Cowboy
I shall take the girl aside and ask her what makes her so sure that the progenitor of her child is my son and not myself.    This is not the first time this little misunderstanding has happened.

(Pushkin, acting totally out of character)

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
That suit was almost certainly purchased second hand and has been repaired on the cheap.

Buttons on the jacket and the waist coat have been replaced and they do not match...

1) Servants in the Manor would have made the repairs if Lord Algernon had happened to lose a button or two... this would, of course, have occasionally happened and I don't believe that would have meant replacement of a suit even in a household as wealthy as Algernon's. There would certainly have been seamstresses on the staff, especially since many of the more formal outfits would normally have to be taken apart to be laundered, then sewn back together again.

2) They would have replaced ALL the buttons if they did not have spares to match... no servant who wanted to keep her place would produce sloppy work like that for members of the family... or even for servant uniforms which would be seen in the front of the house, either.

3) Algernon was a bit of a clothes horse... he would certainly have objected to mismatched buttons... though it's likely that Master Percy wouldn't have cared.

Stevie...

P.S. This episode will feature in the next episode of Minder.

pushkin

Cowboy
I have to point out to Stevie that Lord Emsworth, an aristocrat with impeccable pedigree, constantly resisted the demands of his formidable sister Lady Constance to burn the disreputable clothes to which he was so attached and which were almost falling apart.
Stevie must make allowances for the idiosyncrasies of the somewhat inbred English aristocracy.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum