a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 3/6/15 "Fallen Frat" A mahoover Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Fallen Frat
A mahoover Production

You are a the president of your frat at a large land grand university.  Aaron, the treasurer of the frat has come to you with a problem.  The frat had a party on Saturday, and the money from the door doesn't match the number of tickets sold at the door.  Aaron has investigated, and is pretty sure that a sophomore Greg took about $150 from the till.  When you confront Greg, he admits he took the money.  He says that he took it because his father just got laid off, and he needed it to pay his tuition for next semester.  The money won't affect the frat's finances one way or another.  Also, if Greg had come to the executive committee, there is a precedent for loaning a member tuition money in similar situations.

Now you need to take this to the executive committee and make a recommendation on what to do.  One option is to report it to the campus police, which would also cause Greg to be kicked out of the frat.  Another option is to just kick Greg out of the frat.  A third option is to handle the matter inside the frat, and let the executive committee come up with a just punishment.  If you want to recommend the third option, there is a precedent:  When you were a sophomore, you were caught smoking weed in the frat house.  You ended up getting 10 swats on your bare ass in front of the entire frat.

You and Aaron
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Greg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Are you going to recommend one of the three options above, or come up with another solution?

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
If he lets me lick him all over I'll pay back the $150 myself and all... Twisted Evil

AFinch

Sherrif
It's theft. It's serious. But....

If you go to the police, he'll not just be kicked out of the frat. He'll likely be kicked out of school and face criminal charges, effectively destroying the rest of his life in a world in which background checks are the norm and "redemption" only makes for a good TV show title--it doesn't exist in this real world.

He is supposed to be your "brother"--he's not a pledge. Kicking him out of the fraternity would seem to be a non-starter to me if I'm buying into the concept of brotherhood (which is the etymology of fraternity after all).

Which leads to a different sort of punishment. Given that there is precedent for making a loan had he but asked, given that the event won't impact the fraternity one way or the other, and given that Greg's behavior has been juvenile and irresponsible, I think a juvenile punishment is appropriate. Greg can take a bare paddling to tears in front of his brothers or he can repay the money and resign from the fraternity. That seems a most generous offer given that we, the fraternity, have the power to destroy his entire life.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think Kier has the right approach.

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:I think Kier has the right approach.

Me too! Kid treatment would seem appropriate under the posted circumstances. Besides, Greg is one cute kiddo!

mahoover

Cowboy
The advantage of submitting the BOTD is that you can write up your answer before anyone else Smile I basically agree with Kier but had a little different slant.

I don't want to ruin Greg's life, so it comes down to either kicking him out or coming up with a just punishment. If I thought he was likely to do something like this again, I would recommend kicking him out, but hopefully we picked well when he pledged, and this was more panic and embarrassment than a normal behavior. So I am going to recommend that he be required to pay back the money with interest by working around the frat house for minimum wage. Also I am gong to recommend that he get 15 swats in front of the entire frat. I will discuss with the executive committee if it would be better for his punishment to be more private, but since the rest of the frat will figure out something is up when he is working off his debt, we should be upfront about what happened.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think this is more serious than smoking. I am going to recommend to the Frat executive committee that while the frat understands Gregs unfortunate circumstances he should have known he could have asked for help. I dont know frats but this is what they sare about. Now the exec should put the offer to Greg, 15 swats before the rest of the house or expulsion. No need to involve the police

Jack

Admin
What worries me is all the concern and uproar these days, not just about hazing, but about anything that smacks of it.

I consider the police a non-starter.

I would recommend a public apology and allowing him to pay back the money by doing chores for the frat, but that would cause things to drag on and could interfere with his drinking and studying. I'm going to share my nervousness and my reasons for it, but I do think a long, hard paddling would be the best way to deal with this, if Greg agrees.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I agree with the doc and with Mahoover's requirement to work the debt off.

Bearing in mind today's climate and the danger of bringing down the wrath of the law and assault charges perhaps some written agreement to accept them may be in order.  

Whilst the swats need to hurt perhaps being public they could be more symbolic than severe.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with Kier, but I think the swats have to be reasonable. Fraternity paddles are very heavy. There is a reason why most schools that permit cp have strict limits on the number of swats that can be given. There is a pretty clear line between punishment and assault.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
Nope, ain't me... Crying or Very sad

But I'm with the consensus.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
AFinch wrote:It's theft.  It's serious.  But....

If you go to the police, he'll not just be kicked out of the frat.  He'll likely be kicked out of school and face criminal charges, effectively destroying the rest of his life in a world in which background checks are the norm and "redemption" only makes for a good TV show title--it doesn't exist in this real world.

He is supposed to be your "brother"--he's not a pledge.  Kicking him out of the fraternity would seem to be a non-starter to me if I'm buying into the concept of brotherhood (which is the etymology of fraternity after all).

Which leads to a different sort of punishment.  Given that there is precedent for making  a loan had he but asked, given that the event won't impact the fraternity one way or the other, and given that Greg's behavior has been juvenile and irresponsible, I think a juvenile punishment is appropriate.  Greg can take a bare paddling to tears in front of his brothers or he can repay the money and resign from the fraternity.  That seems a most generous offer given that we, the fraternity, have the power to destroy his entire life.

I think he should pay back double after he finds a job.

Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum