a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/12/15 "Scout On Fire" A Padraig Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Scout On Fire
A Padraig Production

Your ten year old son Mickey is a keen scout and had been practising fire making for quite a while now, but so far in vain.

Today you smell smoke coming from the winter garden / sunroom. When you enter you see Mickey proudly but carefully nursing his first successful fire.

Mickey - 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is he in trouble? Will his seat be on fire shortly?

Jack

Admin
If I know he's been practicing for a while, then there's no way he's going to be in trouble for succeeding. On the other hand, I might need to have a talk to him about where and when he practices something like this.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Fires are fascinating. When we were boys our gang used to light grass fires on waste ground. We used matches! Part of the fun was beating the fires out before they spread out of control.

Was it Persepolis where Alexander burnt the palace down for the fun of it? The Nazis burnt the content of palaces around Leningrad - for warmth in bitter winters. Both utterly reprehensible crimes.

Anyway, I'm going to whack Mickey.

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm with Jack. If I know he's been practicing and has finally succeeded, he isn't in trouble. If he's "playing with fire" indoors without my prior knowledge, he's about to get burned.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Um... I can't believe that I ever allowed a child as young as this to practise making fires without close adult supervision.

Full stop.

He's toast... figuratively... because I don't want it to become literal and all.

Stevie.

See story for details...
Playing With Fire.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I agree with Jack and Kier. Very Happy

ivor

Marshall
I'm with Jack & Kier. I consider this to be the time for a very strong warning that if I catch his doing this again in the house then he should be prepared to have a fire lit on his backside.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto jack and kier....

Eldo

Cowboy
I am unsure if mickey has been introduced to the big leather strap before, but he certainly would be now.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Having really struggled myself to light a fire from first principles (no matches etc.) I'll be congratulating him on actually managing this without help.

How much of a safety talk we'll have will depend upon the contents of the room in which he accomplished this, but it's a talk we'll have but, however, one that I hope he will lead and tell me just what precautions he had taken and why. I'll only get somewhat upset if it appears that he's been extremely foolhardy in his choice of venue. Indeed, if he's managed this feat on the hearth, ne can do this again next time I want a fire lit there!

1strappedboy

Sherrif
We just got in from Sunday Liturgy and the kids are demolishing their baskets before we head up for the Egg Hunt and I popped in here to check things out and after they heard me laughing my butt off, who should in to see "what's so funny, dad?" but the firebug himself-Darren.

I asked HIM how would YOU handle this one?  After all you all know how we handled HIS little experiment with fire as a little one!!

Before I share his answer, I must admit that the older, more 'mellow' me is inclined to agree with Jack.  I really shouldn't splash 'cold water' on his efforts if he has honestly struggled to acquire/master this skill.  We may later discuss the propriety of where/when and adult supervision but that will happen later.

Darren looked up at me and said, "You were right to bust me and I'd do the same to this kid!" without the slightest hesitation and then walked back up to continue wolfing down Easter goodies. Rolling Eyes

Jack

Admin
1strappedboy wrote:Before I share his answer, I must admit that the older, more 'mellow' me is inclined to agree with Jack.  I really shouldn't splash 'cold water' on his efforts if he has honestly struggled to acquire/master this skill.  We may later discuss the propriety of where/when and adult supervision but that will happen later.

My whole answer was based on the fact that, if I had a problem with him doing it, I should have said something long before he finally succeeded. Because I didn't say anything forbidding it, a reasonable person could easily assume I was condoning it.

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:I agree with Jack and Kier.  Very Happy
Ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
Jack wrote:
1strappedboy wrote:Before I share his answer, I must admit that the older, more 'mellow' me is inclined to agree with Jack.  I really shouldn't splash 'cold water' on his efforts if he has honestly struggled to acquire/master this skill.  We may later discuss the propriety of where/when and adult supervision but that will happen later.

My whole answer was based on the fact that, if I had a problem with him doing it, I should have said something long before he finally succeeded.  Because I didn't say anything forbidding it, a reasonable person could easily assume I was condoning it.

Thanks, Jack. I went and re-read the scenario, because my first thought was I would not have been letting him do this without adult knowledge or supervision. But since I have not questioned him in the past, I will be praising him for his perseverance and then going over fire etiquette with him again.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Jack.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:I'm with Jack.  If I know he's been practicing and has finally succeeded, he isn't in trouble.  If he's "playing with fire" indoors without my prior knowledge, he's about to get burned.

I think that is the line to take

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum