a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/21/15 "Tennis Anyone?" A mahoover Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Tennis Anyone?
A mahoover Production

You live in a 30 year old subdivision with a pool and tennis courts.  The pool and tennis courts are maintained by the homeowner's association dues, so everyone in the subdivision has access to them.   Your 12 year old son, Adam is an avid tennis player.

Adam - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The tennis courts were built when the subdivision was first opened, and are showing their age.  Roots have gotten under the courts, and over time both courts have become unplayable.  Adam worked with the other tennis players in the subdivision to lobby to get the courts repaired.  At the last annual meeting of the homeowners association, after much debate, a special assessment was passed to get the tennis courts repaired.  About a third of the people at the meeting didn't want to pay more to repair the courts, while the rest supported fixing the courts.  The special assessment ended up being a little less the 1/4 of the normal annual homeowners dues.

The tennis courts are in such bad shape that the way they are being "repaired" is to breakup the existing pavement, re-grade the area and lay new pavement.  The work is about half way done.

Court repairs
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You get a call from one of your neighbors complaining that Adam was messing around with the construction equipment last night after the work crew left for the night.  This neighbor is one that is always grumpy, and led the fight against the special assessment to repair the tennis courts.  In the past, you have told Adam to stay away from his yard, which Adam has done.

What happens to Adam?

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am not going to do anything based on this person's word.

I will ask Adam about it and, based on his answer, will react accordingly.

If Adam confesses to doing this and if no other rules like curfew were violated then I am still not inclined to punish Adam UNLESS he has been specifically warned to stay away from the equipment.  I can understand how a twelve year old would be very intrigued about the equipment and would want to explore it.

Regardless of Adam's response we will now have the rule that the equipment is off limits.

My gut tells me though that Mr. Grumpy is simply looking for revenge for the assessment.

Side note: I hate HOAs and would never choose to live in an HOA community.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
What am I going to do? Nothing because even it the allegation is true, that's what boys do!

Iconoclast

Jack

Admin
Boys also shoplift, smoke, and drink at times, Icono and I don't want my kids doing those things either.

I agree with David. And even if Mr. Grumpypuss was right, what was Adam doing - driving the equipment?

Stone Man

Marshall
David covered the situation well.

AFinch

Sherrif
I, too, agree with David.

ivor

Marshall
I don't understand the housing set up as it isn't one that I know, but that doesn't affect the response.

I'd want to talk to the contractors and see if they have had any damage to their equipment. Then I'd talk to Adam and see what he admits to doing - or probably that should be done the other way round as I'm not trying to trap him into lying.

If all he has been doing is looking then I don't see a real problem. I can't believe he'd be doing anything that would impede the restoration of the courts.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ditto David

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
Innocent till proven guilty. I will talk to Adam , talk to this character to check his evidence, and check with the workers to see if they think their machinery has been tampered with. I cannot think why Adam would want to do anything that would hold up the repairs to the tennis courts. He may ha wanted to check progress or even look at the diggers etc. I will advise Adam to steer clear and not give this man any excuses to make troublebut will be doing nothing on the say so of this curmudgeon. I will suggest to Adam though that if there is anything to confess he do so now

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
K Club is unanimous. I'm with Katz.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
Maybe he was sitting on one of the rollers pretendig to drive. Don't think he is in trouble, until anything is broken. But I will tell him to stay clear off the machinery.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm going to whack the boy. Us grumpy neighbours should stick together. Twisted Evil

mahoover

Cowboy
I think David nailed it, so ditto David.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum