a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/24/15 "Switching Gears" A Jack Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
SWITCHING GEARS
A Jack Production

Your family is visiting with your sister and brother-in-law.  They don't live too close, but you're able to get together a few times a year.  They have children the same age as yours, so it's usually a fun trip for everyone.

Your SO has been having allergy problems, so you drove to the pharmacy to pick up some meds (and have a little quiet time together).  

When you get home, this is what you find...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

...your 14-year old son, Raymond, sitting in front of an empty can of Mickey's Malt Liquor.  There are two cans there, and they're both empty.  Judging by the howling coming from inside the house - sounding very much like your 13-year old nephew - you kind of wonder if they were empty when an adult set them down.

Raymond does not want to talk about it.  A few minutes later, your brother comes out, discards a switch, and confirms your guess.  Your brother-in-law caught the two boys finishing the drinks, which he and your sister had sat down when your younger son had a bike accident.  Kevin has just been switched and sent to his room.  

Raymond isn't looking at you, but he's obviously listening close.

What does he hear next?

David M. Katz

Marshall
I love the visual of his cousin (or maybe little brother) "guarding the prisoner" with a Supersoaker.

OK, I would not be as upset about this as my brother-in-law as it was done "at home."  Had Raymond asked me then I would have let him try it.  I think the big problem here is that he did not ask and he is also at someone else's house.  So, I can see why this is a problem.

I do not think it is right that his cousin is punished (even if it is a bit more than I would have done) and Raymond isn't.

I think it will be OK for me to adopt a "when in Rome approach" to this and so the next thing Raymond hears will be:

"Raymond, go pick up that switch and then go see your uncle."

Ideally, I wish my BIL would have waited to discuss this with me before taking action but what is done is done.

Last edited by David M. Katz on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

AFinch

Sherrif
Drinking alcohol at 14 is illegal. It's also dangerous. His cousin just got switched. They got in trouble together. The only possible thing Raymond can hear is "Go pick a switch and meet me in the house".

Stone Man

Marshall
Since cell phones seem to work about everywhere, and it is likely that both my BIL and I are so equipped (and it is likely my SO and I will be returning quickly) I too would like to have been brought in before punishments had been handed out.

That said, if Raymond is equally involved as his Cous, than he will be "equally" punished by me. A taste (or more) was not requested but was taken. For that there is a consequence.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
"Polishing off" a half empty can is hardly crime of the century and I consider poor Kevin's switching to be a way OTT for the offence.

I am not going to be bounced into a similar intemperate reaction by my BIL.

Raymond and I will be having a talk, a talk that will likely involve more than words but any punishment I impose will be proportionate to the offence.

It is unfortunate that the boys will be punished unequally but I WILL be fair towards my son regardless.

The scenario reminds me of RL childhood.  I had an uncle (by marriage), parent of three older boy cousins.  His reaction to apparently ANY misbehaviour was to strip and strap in the living room adjacent to where the strap was kept in a sideboard drawer with no regard to privacy. I was quite small when I witnessed my first execution and even though my own little bottom was not immune to the sting of Dad's hand I was terrified.

I was never ever left in his charge though.  Thanks Mum and Dad.

Last edited by MemoryMan on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding an addendum)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
Never having heard of Mickey's Malt Liquor I checked it out on line. Appears to me its name implies more than it actually is. The alcohol content is 5.6% which is around and about the average for beer rather than it being a spirit. Also, the boys are said to have 'finished off' the opened bottles which also implies that they didn't drink that much and judging by how Raymond is sitting and looks he isn't exactly under the influence.

So, as this all took place at home I'm very much with MM and consider by B-I-L overreacted. However, that was with his son and is his option. In this instance I do not consider his punishment fits the crime and the two participants aren't going to be treated the same.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
5.6 would be equivalent to quite a strong beer
I think a switching ott and would have been happier if my B.I.L could have waited and we could both decide what to do  A lesser punishment for Raymond could threaten the relationship with Kevin so I will ask Ray to cut a switch and join me in another room where Kevin will not be in earshot and ask Raymond what he thinks about what he just heard and what he thinks should happen to him. Personally I think a spanking is in order but not a switching.

If the relationship is a strong one Raymond may feel he should get what Kevin got. It will also give Raymond a chance to argue is casre as only havinf had a little while Kevin guzzled the lot and also how aware he was of the likely consequences of being caught. Raymond can also tell me how many licks Kevin actually got .If I think Kevin got more licks than necessary Kevin will get less anyway but I think using the switch will at least cover to some degree the when at home point

Jack

Admin
My problem with this is that my kids have all tried wine and beer, and they all know that having any without me around is verbotten.

I'm going to ask my BIL why he reacted the way he did. Maybe he's had to deal with this issue before. If that's true, Ray will be getting the thorough spanking I feel like he really deserves. If there aren't extenuating circumstances, then Raymond will pick a switch, and he'll get (comparatively) mild dose, but still enough for him to be making some noise.

BTW - while it's not complete, I notice this one seems to break down by which side of the pond you're upon.

Padraig

Trailboss
That's true Jack. I would be more upset about the boys taking something they knew isn't their's than worrying about half a bottle of beer.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
It is not that unusual for boys to finish off someones beer. I think the best thing for me to do is to: See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil!

Iconoclast

squarecutter

Sherrif
[quote="Jack"]My problem with this is that my kids have all tried wine and beer, and they all know that having any without me around is verbotten.

I'm going to ask my BIL why he reacted the way he did.  Maybe he's had to deal with this issue before.  If that's true, Ray will be getting the thorough spanking I feel like he really deserves.  If there aren't extenuating circumstances, then Raymond will pick a switch, and he'll get (comparatively) mild dose, but still enough for him to be making some noise.

BTW - while it's not complete, I notice this one seems to break down by which side of the pond you're upon.[/quote

Jack its an interesting point. I wonder if it is the emphasis the law in our countries puts on the issue. I think in England the purveyor or seller of alcohol to minors is in trouble. No one under 18 in the UK should be sold a drink by a publican. barman or shop or drunk in areas around the Bar itself. That is not to say that shandy or porter and may be wine even cannot be consumed by minors at meals with families in restaurants or beer gardens, just not the bar area. In France most kids have wine watered down when, as many folk do, the family go out to Sunday lunch together. In the UK the law frowns much more on the delinquent teen behaviour that alcohol can produce as opposed to the mere possession of the stuff. To my knowledge no parents are ever prosecuted for allowing a youngster a bee of or a glass of wine in their own home. An Englishman's home is his castle as we say. Shopkeepers and pubs sell alcohol under license and can most certainly be in trouble if they breech that. May be British parents are, for that reason less bothered than you might be.

In the US a youth up to 21 can be done, or is more likely to be done, as I understand it, merely for being in possession. Am I right? Whether that applies to within the family home as well as in bars on the street I don't know. But it could explain why you might be hotter on it than a British Dad That is not to though that Parents here want 14 year olds helping themselves from the fridge as if it were fruit juice. THAT would bring trouble, especially if it became a habit or they got smashed on it. As a one off something like this will be an occasion for a chat and a bit of boys will be boys rather than total censure or the the hiding of a lifetime

Jack

Admin
No, in Texas, at least, I can legally allow my kids to have alcohol.

My problem (not speaking for the other US parents) is that there's a big difference between me letting them have it, and them just deciding to take what's around.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie minds the time at my sister's ('Joan') first wedding when one of the kids on the groom's side decided to go around the tables finishing off drinks when their rightful owners were on the floor dancing...

It worked okay until he got drunk enough not to notice the cigarette butt someone had doused in their drink (this was 1977 and smoking had not been outlawed yet)... the eruption was rather spectacular and all...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevie does think this same situation was used in some movie or other... but this really happened, believe it or not...

Lad was about thirteen or so...

Stevie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum