a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 05-22-2015 Model Citizen - An Ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
A Model Citizen
An Ivor Production

You bought your 6 year old son Denny a model car for his birthday. Nothing unusual in that, except that this is one with pedals.

Denny loves it and 'drives' it as often as possible You have told him though that he can only drive it on your drive and the sidewalk and must not go on the road - or else!

You arrive home from work today and see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Has Denny been punished enough with his ticket or has he copped a spanking too?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I think he's for a little spankin'

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I see 2 cops bothering my 6 Y.O. son instead of looking for real crime! (a real criminal might effectively resist the brave cops!)

It will be a good lesson for my son that NO government officials are to be trusted!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
How cute! I think the point has been made.

AFinch

Sherrif
He's 6. I'm not sure a ticket has any real meaning to him.

I also think the police SHOULD have read him the riot act, then walked him to the door and spoken to us rather than writing a ticket. While Denny's behavior doesn't get a pass, Icono is correct that the police OUGHT to have better things to do, and better ways of doing them.

So like Skater, I think he's in for a little spankin.

Stone Man

Marshall
As to what I do now, it depends on whether or not a specific consequence had been made or implied... I'm presuming it was, as that is what I grew up with. I feel that the police have made an impact on my son, but I feel Denny has still earned a light level spanking to drive the point of the rules home to him.

Kai

Deputy
AFinch wrote:He's 6.  I'm not sure a ticket has any real meaning to him.

I also think the police SHOULD have read him the riot act, then walked him to the door and spoken to us rather than writing a ticket.  While Denny's behavior doesn't get a pass, Icono is correct that the police OUGHT to have better things to do, and better ways of doing them.

So like Skater, I think he's in for a little spankin.
Ditto.
My is that cute!
You cannot start early enough backing into a parking space. You need all the practice you can get. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm sure the ticket is a bit of a joke and it will go clean over Dennys head. I think its more likely to be a parking ticket. I would have preferred the police to deliver Denny to the door along with a talk about staying on the sidewalk. Denny will now have that chat across my lap as we deal with his disoedience and how these rules are to ensure he doesn't get crushed by a larger vehicle. Next time I will confiscate his wheels as well and he will feel a wooden spoon on his little rump

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
I don't know about the US or the UK, but a ticket delivered to a child under 12 has no meaning... although I do suppose the police could have impounded the toy car.

It is true, however, that what the child did was terribly dangerous and could have resulted in a serious car accident...

I'm going to speak to the lad about staying off the road and the car is impounded for a week or so...

Stevie...

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I doubt very seriously that the cops are giving Denny a ticket; it seems much more likely that they are pretending that's a possibility, while giving him a talking to. Perhaps the officers have got through to him, but Denny has ignored me. I agree with Skateski that a little spanking is appropriate, along with a promise that if Denny ventures into the street again, he'll only be allowed to play with his car under supervision.

Kat

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
My first thoughts are that he is safe as the cops stopped him although he should have been back on the sidewalk immediately.  But have they traumatized him!?

They have no business writing or pretending to write a citation for an infant.  They should be getting him back to whomever was supposed to be watching him.

As I heard in a movie long ago from the desk sergeant character to some rich punk -- "This ain't no laundry ticket." so they can not play with citations.  It does not look like a citation book but just a pad to get the kid's name etc to call home.  I sure hope so.

Depending on a lot of things, perhaps a bit of a spanking and lost of 'keys' for a bit (certainly not a week like Stevie said -- he's only 6 not 16!)

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm not happy that Denny is sitting on the body panels of his car: anathema to ex car factory workers such as me. Body panels are expensive and easily damaged.

Also he needs to learn to use less insouciant body language to appease traffic policemen. Otherwise he's going to be doing all my chores for years to pay off the fine.

Anyway, I'm going to whack him.

Jack

Admin
I seem to be the only one who's glad the cops have stopped my kid from playing in the street before he got hit by someone not paying attention. Personally, I'd much prefer they save my sons life than chase down a shoplifter.

Having said that, whether this is a real ticket or not (and like Stevie, I'm pretty sure a 'real ticket' to a 6-year old isn't legal), it's not going to effect him. Mr. Spanky, however, will effect him a great deal. Depending on exactly what's happening with the police, and how he reacts to it, there's a very good chance Mr. Spanky is going to come into play.

On the other hand, expecting him to keep that awesome car in the driveway is just ridiculous. He and I are going to have to load it up and take it somewhere he'll have room to drive around a bit - safely.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
I beg to differ, Jack.  My first though was about safety so you were not to only one.

I have seen cars like that and they are basically four-wheeled bicycles for little kids run on kid power.  If it has a motor then you are right that the driveway and sidewalk are inadequate. An empty parking lot would be good if one is available.

Everyone agrees that the young gentleman does not belong in the street.

Y.

Jack

Admin
Y Lee, you were glad he was safe, but because you were also afraid the police had traumatized him, I took that as conditional at best. If I was wrong, I apologize.

As for the bike vs. motor, the scenario says it has pedals - I just can't imagine it having a good turn ratio.

kalico

Sherrif
Yup like skater a spankin.....

Hugs kal

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
The situation is not clear to me.  There are two kinds of cars for kids -- with power drive and without.  The setup piece said "is one with pedals." and "to stay on the sidewalk and driveway."

I took that to mean kid powered like a four-wheeled bike.  An example is at www.fordpedalcars.com/MustangDetail-Blue.html   Please note the term "pedal" on the site.

Jack took it to mean a powered vehicle.  An example is at www.walmart.com/ip/21675098?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017262576&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40334949632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78295078352&veh=sem   This little item goes a whopping 5 mph!! and is listed for ages 3 and up!!! YIPE!!!!

The first kind would work fine on just the sidewalk and driveway (just like a tricycle) while the second would not.  Just the idea of a tyke driving a monster like that on the sidewalk is scarey!  Could one even get insurance?  And Jack is right it needs a much bigger place like a parking lot or playing field (yes, they are rated for use on grass too).

And more supervision than that Jag that Jack's 16 yo detailed last week.

To clarify my first post, I was concerned about physical safety first then mental -- even adults get shook up when stopped by cops.  So I hope this clears things up and te apology is accepted although I'm not sure it needed now.

Y.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Jack wrote:I seem to be the only one who's glad the cops have stopped my kid from playing in the street before he got hit by someone not paying attention.  Personally, I'd much prefer they save my sons life than chase down a shoplifter.

Having said that, whether this is a real ticket or not (and like Stevie, I'm pretty sure a 'real ticket' to a 6-year old isn't legal), it's not going to effect him.  Mr. Spanky, however, will effect him a great deal.  Depending on exactly what's happening with the police, and how he reacts to it, there's a very good chance Mr. Spanky is going to come into play.

On the other hand, expecting him to keep that awesome car in the driveway is just ridiculous.  He and I are going to have to load it up and take it somewhere he'll have room to drive around a bit - safely.

That was he entire trust behind my message . Denny broke a rule that was there entirely for his safety. The cops were making a bit of a joke of it. I, as Dennys's Dad. was not

Jack

Admin
Y Lee Coyote wrote:Jack took it to mean a powered vehicle.  An example is at www.walmart.com/ip/21675098?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017262576&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40334949632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78295078352&veh=sem   This little item goes a whopping 5 mph!! and is listed for ages 3 and up!!!  YIPE!!!!

Nope, I considered it to be kid powered as well. I was just thinking that I had enough trouble riding a bicycle in a 2-car driveway, so something as wide as that thing looks seems like it would be much harder.

Y Lee Coyote wrote:To clarify my first post, I was concerned about physical safety first then mental -- even adults get shook up when stopped by cops.  So I hope this clears things up and te apology is accepted although I'm not sure it needed now.

No apology required. I was simply explaining why I made the statement I started with. While I don't disagree with what you said, it's why I considered you 'qualified'.

And honestly, if I saw this scenario, I'd be asking the police what happened, and possibly questioning my son as well, because it would really depend on a lot of things like what he was doing, if there was traffic at the time, and what our neighborhood is actually like.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum