a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

4 June 2015: A Post Too Far - A Jack Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
A Post To Far
A Jack Production

Fifteen-year old Sean is friends with your thirteen-year old son, Parker.

Sean and Parker horsing around together

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sean is big into music, and he's very good at it. He sings, plays guitar, plays piano, and one of his favorite activities these days is making music videos. Since Parker is huge into making videos and the software and stuff involved, the two of them have been spending a lot of time together.

While you don't know the details, Sean recently got into some fairly serious trouble, and he was grounded from his computer and phone.

This evening you received a phone call from Sean's father. He's asking if Parker has recently uploaded any videos to Sean's Youtube account.

You hope not, since you didn't know that he had Sean's password, and because he's not supposed to be uploading anything without you okaying it.

When you tell him you don't know, he explains that a new video has appeared there, when Sean was supposed to be restricted from all computer activity. He claims Parker must have uploaded it. It's no problem if Parker did, but if Sean's lying, he's going to be in (more?) serious trouble.

What's your next step?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to ask Parker. If he says it wasn't him, I'm not going to do anything (other than call back Sean's dad, and let him know the results of my very limited interrogation.)

If he did it, and he knew (and we know he does) he wasn't supposed to upload anything without prior approval, he's toast.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I concur with Kier.

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:I concur with Kier.
I shall ditto, but this better not be real life. Cool Cool Cool Cool

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto kier

Hugs kal

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Ditto kier

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
Joining the Kier club

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
The lad next door to me records himself singing his own rap music, but you don't have to be musical for that.

Anyway, as for Sean and Parker, why not just whack them - lest they've done anything wrong..

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Kier's answer seems reasonable to me.

Kat

LLALVA

Trailboss
scratch I am curious, this happened a very long time ago, but was this a RL situation? If so, what happened?

I love you

Leti

Jack

Admin
LLALVA wrote:scratch I am curious, this happened a very long time ago, but was this a RL situation? If so, what happened?

Is this a total coincidence, or did this pairs recent trouble remind you of it?

Let me remind you that this was two years ago, when Sean and Parker would have been 15 and 13. 16 and 14 (I was thinking of this being two years ago, but the date I posted was just a couple of days after Parker's birthday, and I'm pretty sure Sean has a spring birthday).

Yes, this was an actual situation, and I do remember most of the details.

While I didn't want to get Sean in trouble, I also feel the need to support a reasonable request from another parent.  Also, while Mr. Strouse was checking on his own son, he told me that Parker may have violated our rules, and I felt the need to follow up on that.

When I first asked Parker, he admitted to doing it.  I then asked him if he thought I should restrict him from using the computer for a while, or if he thought a couple of swats with the paddle would be enough to get his attention.

He got panicky then.  We argued for a moment, but his 'I wasn't uploading to my account,' was pretty clearly not going to impress me, and he started trying to change his story.  I finally ended up calling Mr. Strouse back.  The two of this talked it over and....

Actually, let's make this a follow up BOTD.

(Note: in the original, I said Sean was grounded from his computer and phone, but he was really banned from computer use and most screen time - it does make a difference in this.)

You have talked to your son, Parker, who's story changed a bit when he realized he was confessing to violating your rules.  You call Mr. Strouse, and the two of you agree to get the stories from your own kids, then compare them.  Both boys are told about the upcoming comparison, and told that, if the stories don't match, they'll be singing a tune they won't enjoy.

With a few minor variations, the boys' stories match.  It turns out that the video had been made before Sean was grounded, and that Parker had just finished editing it today.  Parker showed it to Sean (watching it was technically a violation of his restrictions, but probably excusable), but then they decided to upload it, and just say Parker did it.  Sean got on the computer and logged into his Youtube account (violation), though Parker did the actually uploading (a violation of his own).

Answering as each respective father, what happens now?

db105

Trailboss
And the video is completely innocent, I gather... Boy! What a silly way of getting in trouble. Maybe one paddle swat each.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Jack

Admin
I wanted to wait to see if anyone else would answer, but I don't want to leave Leti hanging for another 18 months, so...

It wasn't the upload of an innocent video that bothered me, Daniel, but that he'd deliberately lied to me about what happened. I can kind of understand a knee-jerk false response to a question, but this kind of planned thing to cover before...

On my end, Parker got himself worn out (a regular session with Black, I believe). I specifically remember telling him that he has his phone and computer because I trust him to use them per our agreements. If he's not willing to do that.. so I took the phone and put a password on the computer.

I did talk to him the next day, we reviewed why I was upset with his behavior, and what I expected of him, then returned the phone and removed the password.

In Sean's case --- his dad sees restrictions like this as a parole in the old/chivalric sense. Because Sean wasn't willing to follow his restrictions while having some freedom, he was grounded to the house for the remainder - which I think was four days. Sean was actually offered a choice to start his grounding over from 7 or to do just 4, but with a paddling. After he chose the paddling, his dad told him it would be at the end of four days.

I do like this part - Sean was supposed to be grounded through Saturday, then free to roam on Sunday. Saturday morning, his dad came in and told Sean he was very happy with the way he'd behaved since the trouble - not pouting or having a bad attitude or constantly griping and complaining. Because of that, while Sean did have to take the paddling, he was allowed to finish the grounding on Saturday morning instead of Saturday night.

LLALVA

Trailboss
Thanks Jack!

Good that Sean was let out earlier Smile

Hugs

Leti

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum