a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 07-12-2015 You Worry Too Much - A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
YOU WORRY TOO MUCH
A DMK Production

Your thirteen year old son, Carter, is a soccer fanatic.  He loves the game and is very good at it.  He plays for a local league and is a star player.  Whenever Carter has free time he enjoys practicing his skills.  There is a park about a half mile away from your home where Carter could practice (and does go there sometimes.)  There is also a practice field maintained by the league that is available that you often drive Carter to. Despite those options, Carter seems to prefer to practice his skills in the street in front of your home.

When Carter is involved in his practice he is aware of nothing else.  The street is not very busy but drivers typically ignore the speed limit.  The street has several blind spots.  In short, you feel the street is not a safe place for Carter to practice.  

You have made Carter aware of your concerns and told him to not practice in the street.  Two weeks ago you caught him in the street with his ball and reminded him of the rule.  Just a week later you again found Carter playing in the street and promised a spanking if he ignored your rule again.

Today you arrive home from work and see:

CARTER - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You remind Carter of your rule and of the promised spanking.   Carter responds, "You worry too much.  The street is safe.  Only one car has been by since I have been out here and he honked his horn and I moved out of the way. I'm not a little kid anymore."

Well?

AFinch

Sherrif
I probably DO worry too much.

But I've also told Carter he isn't to play in the street. And there are two good alternatives to playing in the street for his practice. We've had a serious discussion about this at least twice, and I've promised a spanking if he does so again, but here we are.... This is now an issue of direct disobedience, with a safety component. The time to renegotiate is BEFORE you break the rules.

Three strikes and you're out (wrong sport, but whatever). Carter has earned a spanking, and he's going to get one.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Like youths everywhere, Carter knows that he is invincible.  A spanking will insult him that you think him a littler kid; a strapping will not change his mind.

My is tough love.  A visit to hospital and rehab center and even the morgue might make him understand you are worried for good cause.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

AFinch

Sherrif
Y Lee Coyote wrote:Like youths everywhere, Carter knows that he is invincible.  A spanking will insult him that you think him a littler kid; a strapping will not change his mind.

My is tough love.  A visit to hospital and rehab center and even the morgue might make him understand you are worried for good cause.

Y.

How do you propose to gain entrance? In a world where allowing your child to walk two blocks to a city park is "child neglect" resulting in said child being placed into foster care while CPS "investigates", and the same world where HIPAA rules preclude me accessing MY OWN medical records, no one is going to let a stranger, especially a 13 year old stranger, into a hospital, rehab, or morgue as a "learning experience"

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Having made the promise, I don't see I have much option in this situation other than to spank him. The street is not a safe place to practice soccer, so I don't feel I'm worrying too much. Not only is it unsafe, but it is a real nuisance to drivers. I think perhaps Carter might take me more seriously if I take away his soccer ball for a week -- and this is going to be the punishment next time I catch him in disobedience about this issue.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto kier

Hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
On the basis that a spanking has been promised, it is going to have to be delivered.

However, castration might prove a more effective answer Laughing

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I am torn. I watch a lot of football and some of the best players ever learned their skills on the streets as kids. It forces players to learn the kind of expert control of a football needed in the top flight due to the tight spaces and also in the past in poorer parts of the big cities there were few other choices.

Sadly times have changed, The kids of Bogota and Brazilia still play street football and their technical skills are often way superior to ours. The traffic and planning regulations and landscaping in our towns make it difficult.

A pity Carter needs to be taken in a car to a practice area. That takes the spontaneity away. But , if I'd promised Carter a spanking for this then, sadly I will have to follow through on it. I doubt it will change anything though, I also wouldn't want to seperate Cate from his ball. It is still a much healthier thing he is ding than playing consol games indoors despite the traffic

Jack

Admin
Have I explained the reasons I'm worried to Carter? If I have, then he's getting spanked, and we'll discuss again both the reasons that I worry, and the fact that worrying is pretty much part of my job description.

If I've not gone over the reasons I worry about this, then I'll take him along and point them out. After all, if 99 cars honk and wait, and only 1 runs over him, he's still run over. In this case, he's still getting spanked, but it'll be relatively mild, since he is old enough that I should have given him reasons, not just demands.

Jack

Admin
squarecutter wrote:The traffic and planning regulations and landscaping in our towns make it difficult.

This is the important thing to me. I live in a small development, on the far corner from the entrances. Cars can't come through here fast, because they HAVE to make a turn. Also, the streets are straight, so there's good line of sight.

When I was a kid, we didn't play in the street in front of my house, because it was busy. However, some of my friends about a block over, had a circle in front of their house, and we played in that a lot, even thought it was right off the busy street, because the only people who'd normally use it lived there, and were getting ready to pull into their drive ways (and knew there might be kids there).

That's the reason I tend to side with the adults in scenarios like this - kids aren't stupid, but they don't have the experience to make informed decisions.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum