Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Jack

Admin
Your father was a barber, as was his father before him.  You've made a living that way yourself a time or two.

As a barber, it was natural for your grandfather to bring home a strop.  Your father told you that the one your grandfather brought home was a professional model - about 20" long and 3" wide - and it was used on the bare backsides of your father and his brothers.

Your father felt that was a bit much (probably because he felt it a bit much), so he brought home a smaller strop for use in the home.  It was about 16" long and 2" wide, at least until you reached your teens, when he upgraded to the same style his father had used.  Like his father before him, he used it on your bare hide.

Like your father before you, you thought that was a bit much.

Your own sons have grown up being spanked by hand.  It seems to work for them.  You don't even spank bare, except on fairly rare occasions, when you feel the need to make a real impression. Of course, you also don't see any reason to wear your hand out on denim, so you normally spank the boys with their pants down - unless they're in pajamas or lightweight summer wear.

That started changing nearly two years ago.  Your son, Kevin, who was 11 at the time

Kevin, who's 13 now

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Kevin got in trouble during the Christmas vacation.  You try not to spank at that time, but he had been pushing the limits for a while, and he'd had several warnings.  The fact that you used the old strop to whip him probably had more to do with the stitches in your hand from that Christmas light-hanging incident, than with his actual behavior, but you had given him multiple chances and didn't feel too bad about it.

A couple of months later, when Kevin got in trouble again, your hand was fine, and you spanked him.  Afterwards, it seemed to you that his behavior had improved more when you used the strop.  The next time he earned a session, you tried the strop again.  Since then, you gradually used the strop more and more, and he hasn't had a hand spanking in probably a year now.

Generally speaking, you give at least half his age, and you have given as much as his actual age, though that's pretty rare, and between the two is most common.  You also feel the strop is effective enough that you've never bothered making him undress at all for it - jeans or not.

Today, you received a call from the school.  Kevin is in ISS, and you'll have to come in and sign him out.

It turns out that he and three other boys were caught skipping class, in the boys bathroom, smoking.  The boys were just out of sight of the door, and the person who caught them saw someone throwing a lit butt at the toilet.  When he checked it out, there were four smoldering butts.  One of the boys (not Kevin) was found to have tobacco on him, and that boy is being ticketed.  Since the other three boys weren't actually caught with it, they're not getting tickets, but they were obviously there while someone was smoking, so even if it can't be proved they actually were smoking (though it seems pretty obvious), they're all getting the three days ISS for violation of tobacco policy.

While the school district Kevin attends doesn't use CP, you've never felt the need to reinforce things at home.  Kevin is energetic and can be somewhat mischievous, but you've felt the occasional detention or lines he's received have been good enough.  On the other hand, he's never had ISS before.

When you pick him up, Kevin says he wasn't smoking, and that they lit butts were already there?  He repeats that, even though the principal said all four boys smelled of smoke when they were caught.  Kevin changes his story when you point out that tobacco tests are available at the drug store, but he won't say anything about how long he's been smoking.

You let it drop for now.  You're rather angry, because both of your parents were lifelong smokers,  Your mother died of cancer about two years ago, and your father has a number of health problems, some of which are probably due to his tobacco habit.

Is it time to change your policy on not reinforcing school punishments at home?  If so, is it time to reconsider where his pants will be?

2 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:22 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
At 13, Kev should be an 'old pro' with stroppings (Lord knows I was) Shocked  by now.

While I made a point to never be 'severe' in the application of cow hide to boy hide (again, unlike MY step father) I indeed make sure that it is sufficiently unpleasant so as to be something to be avoided.  As y'all know we did and still do employ 'trouble @ school=trouble @ home' so if Kevin's my kid he knows we are about to have a 'conversation in the den'.  Given the history of punishments as described in the scenario, I am of the thought that because of the smoking and LYING about it, this one will assuredly be on the bare at least 8 and hard enough to REALLY make an impression without going OTT.

Sorry guy, you bought this one fair and square; now get 'em off and grab the desk! Twisted Evil

3 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:37 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Dimitri

4 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:35 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:Ditto Dimitri
Ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

5 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm not convinced that punishment works well in this situation. I certainly understand the concerns about the family history, which is why I'm reluctant to rely on punishment.

Am I surprised Kevin lied in this situation? What kid wouldn't lie in an attempt to evade punishment? I need the truth from him so I can evaluate how serious this smoking incident is. If Kevin is already addicted to tobacco, the strop won't help break that addiction.

I'm going to remind him of his grandparents' smoking related health issues and death. Then I'm going to ask for an honest conversation without the threat of punishment motivating further lying.

Kat

6 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:05 am

ivor

Marshall
I'm siding with Kat.

I'm unable to get as worked up about kids smoking as others here. I'd be much more concerned if he had been smoking weed.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

7 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:36 am

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote: I need the truth from him so I can evaluate how serious this smoking incident is.

As the scenario says, he refuses to answer any questions about how long he's been smoking. He only admitted he'd smoked at all when you pointed out that you could give him a whiz quiz to check for tobacco use.

One thing that no one has mentioned directly (and I checked the scenario to make sure I hadn't left it out), is that he was skipping class when they were caught? Would you punish for that, even if you don't punish for the smoking? Did that effect anyone elses answer, is it covered by the school punishment, or is it just considered a 'lesser, included offense'?

8 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:55 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
Since I don't really understand fully what happens in ISS, I'm unsure. If they have to do lots of set work during it with little or no association time, I'm happy for that to be the punishment for skipping class.

Though I tend towards Kat's initial approach, wanting to find out whether this is a first smoke or he is a regular illicit smoker, I wouldn't want to limit my options if and when I get the answer. If a first timer, I'm more inclined to apply the strop than if he turns out to be a regular. First time, he'll have found smoking unattractive (apart from its peer pressure angle) and I'll want to use the strop to ensure it is extra unattractive in future. If a regular, I going to hold fire but instigate regular testing with the promise of the strop if whenever he fails the test.

9 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 am

Jack

Admin
Pi Beta wrote:Since I don't really understand fully what happens in ISS, I'm unsure. If they have to do lots of set work during it with little or no association time, I'm happy for that to be the punishment for skipping class.

For the record, this page gives a fairly accurate summation of ISS (in-school suspension) for our district.

I have problems with ISS, but this isn't really the place to get into them.

10 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:26 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
It is NEVER time to reinforce school punishment since I never know ALL the circumstances and am no position to make an objective judgement of its appropriateness and fairness.  I have entrusted my child to the care of the staff and (except in the case of obvious injustice) must support them in their judgement - no more or no less.

Regarding the smoking issue we will be having a talk unencumbered by the prospect of further punishment.  If it was a one off the school has dealt with it.  If it appears to me (and following this 'heads up' I'll be monitoring the situation) that Kevin has started out on the road to addiction he needs help rather than further punishment which may even serve to drive it underground.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

11 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:41 am

ivor

Marshall
Jack wrote:

One thing that no one has mentioned directly (and I checked the scenario to make sure I hadn't left it out), is that he was skipping class when they were caught?  Would you punish for that, even if you don't punish for the smoking?  

As I've never punished for in school offences in the past, I consider the reasonable way to handle this would be to make it clear that if he does anything in future that earns ISS it will also earn a meeting with the strop

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

12 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:02 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think ISS is pretty light for smoking and skipping class and I think exceptionally I would use the strop for this. I would take the smoking alone if done at home pretty seriously. It would not be top of the range for the strop if I don't usually spank for school matters

13 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:38 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote: I need the truth from him so I can evaluate how serious this smoking incident is.

As the scenario says, he refuses to answer any questions about how long he's been smoking.  He only admitted he'd smoked at all when you pointed out that you could give him a whiz quiz to check for tobacco use.

One thing that no one has mentioned directly (and I checked the scenario to make sure I hadn't left it out), is that he was skipping class when they were caught?  Would you punish for that, even if you don't punish for the smoking?  Did that effect anyone elses answer, is it covered by the school punishment, or is it just considered a 'lesser, included offense'?

I am aware of what the scenario says, but I happen to think that removing the threat of punishment is often a far more effective means of getting at the truth than the tactic used in the scenario. If my effort to draw Kevin out fails, then I'll live with the deceit, or at least the stonewalling. If Kevin is an habitual smoker, sooner or later I'll find out and deal with the problem then.

As to the skipping, I consider the school punishment stupid but sufficient. ISS is not a fun place in schools that run it properly. Students are assigned study carrels that pretty well close off their view of anyone else. They spend the day in a restrictive, very strict environment doing what many teachers call "busy work".

Kat

14 Re: 3 August 2015 - Smoldering Butts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:58 am

kalico

Sherrif
I'm dittoing Dimitri

Hugs kal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum