a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

6 August 2015 "The Bet - 1970" a Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
Blast from the Past – 1970 – The Bet
A Kat Production

You’re the headmaster of a small private school, with pupils ranging in age from twelve to eighteen. After an unpleasant incident that involved a police investigation a few years ago, you decided that you would be the only staff member to administer corporal punishment. You rely mainly on a battered old plimsoll, reserving the cane for serious matters.
Lately you’ve been taken aback by how many times the same three boys have been sent to you. All three of them are in their second year at the school: thirteen year old Arthur Wilkes; twelve year old Andrew Watson; and thirteen year old Albert Westin

Wilkes - 13, Watson - 12, & Westin - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The three share not only the same initials but a penchant for mischief, which has got completely out of hand in the past few weeks.
A little birdie (but one that is completely reliable) has told you that the boys have a bet going to see who can tally up the most whacks during the term. During the course of the day, all three will appear before you for minor mischief that would normally earn only two or three whacks of the plimsoll.

Will the cane make an appearance today, and if so, what can the three expect?

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
I think it is time to change the protocol.  Instead of three whacks, an hour of detention or doing clean up.  Perhaps an essay or two.

Nothing macho about these things.  <veg>

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I agree with Y on this one. Bore them to death; there's no 'brag factor' to be had and this MAY nip the run of behaviors.

If, however, they are determined to see who can 'win' that little side bet by means of escalating their mischief I can certainly up the ante by letting them know the next visit will result in 6 of the VERY best. I don't care HOW macho they wish to be; that is a punishment to be avoided indeed!

AFinch

Sherrif
I agree with Y Lee and Dimitri.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Yep I have to up the ante a bit. After they get the whacks 6 each this time I am going to tell them that the next time they appear it will be for a caning. For now they can all serve a double detention as well

ivor

Marshall
Aw!

It's pretty obvious my plimsoll isn't making much of an impression so my options are as others have stated. I can either cease cp or start using the cane, but it would be rather unjust to apply the cane to just this trio. Or there is one other option - raise the number of strokes and see how keen they are then.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
...........which has got completely out of hand...............

This fits the criteria for a "serious matter"

Two with cane this time with the promise of an escalating number of strokes on any further visits this term.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
I'm honestly not sure what my options are for 1970. However, seeing that this is 1970, I think I'll be more likely to try an attempt at escalation before I change my entire policy.

The three boys have already made a number of trips to my study, so I have no trouble telling them that their 'hard-headed, repeated insubordination' has earned them extra, beyond the immediate offense. Based on stories I've read, I think I'll try three of the cane for each of them, and see if that will help them decide to cancel their wager.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'm sure that betting is against the school's rules and would be seen as serious - mainly concerning betting for money, but the rules won't make that distinction.

I'm going to give them the "normal" punishment but then...

"Boys; it's been suggested to me that the three of you might have a bet goping on as to which of you can get the most whacks this term. Remembering that betting is strictly against the rules and carries a certain six strokes of the cane, tell me, have you made such a bet amongst yourselves?"

I suspect they will each deny it, realising what the consequence would be, to which my follow up will be that I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open and that if I get the slightest inkling that there is a bet going on between them, they know what will be in store for them each and every time until the bet is cancelled!

There is a possibility they will admit that they do have a bet going on - though I suspect they'll claim it was a challenge rather than a bet. In that case I'm pretty sure I can find a dictionary that equates bet to challenge and will bring the six stroke caning into play immediately (though if they use challenge as their term I might just let them off with 4 the first time with six thereafter!).

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
There are two approaches discussed -- escalating CP and avoiding CP.

Escalating CP is self defeating to my mind.  Cane these boys and they'll boast and show off to their mates who are just babies who only have been slippered.  The ratting birdie may have been correct about competition between them but collectively they are also in competition with the rest of the class.

Playing games with dictionaries varying definitions is quite self demeaning and would make me a cause for ridicule as well as setting a terrible example.  Equating bets and competitions will lead to 'we can't race because that forbidden by the school rules."

Give each a different non-CP punishment and you wreck their game.  Let them argue about which is worse -- a detention, a couple of hours work with the grounds keeper or a five hundred word essay.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Y Lee Coyote wrote:There are two approaches discussed -- escalating CP and avoiding CP.

Escalating CP is self defeating to my mind.  Cane these boys and they'll boast and show off to their mates who are just babies who only have been slippered.  The ratting birdie may have been correct about competition between them but collectively they are also in competition with the rest of the class.

Playing games with dictionaries varying definitions is quite self demeaning and would make me a cause for ridicule as well as setting a terrible example.  Equating bets and competitions will lead to 'we can't race because that forbidden by the school rules."

Give each a different non-CP punishment and you wreck their game.  Let them argue about which is worse -- a detention, a couple of hours work with the grounds keeper or a five hundred word essay.

Y.

Nailed it, sir!!!

Zac

Wrangler
I remember once hearing a boy in my class who had previously been to boarding school saying how a group of them had had a competition to see which of them could get slippered most (whether that meant slipperings or strokes of the slipper I am not sure) during a term. I think he might have one. Looking back on it I wonder if he joined us because it was strongly suggested it was better he continue his education elsewhere. This would have been in the late 70s

Getting into character, do I even need to do anything? The stake is probably trivial and if they want have a competition like this then on their heads, or rather bottoms, be it. So I just give them the usual slipperings, and by now they are probably getting the maximum strokes for their offences, and send them on their...until the next time.

Alas that won't do Sad This is encouraging bad behaviour which has gotten out of hand and that can't be allowed. The slipper has clearly become no deterrent - and if punishment does not have some deterrent effect then what is the point of it? - so I may either have to use it less or more or move onto the cane.

I have made a note of their individual tallies of whacks. I decide I will call stumps on this competition as soon as they are all have the same number of whacks so that none of them can  win the wager. The next part works best if I can even up their tallies when they are all together. My inclination would be to summon then all in the middle of their next games or PE lesson but it would be better to do it now before they can get up to any more mischief and earn themselves anymore whacks.

Then I come out with line about their conduct over recent weeks being disgraceful and unacceptable. I bring up the number of time I have had to slipper them, taking care that I mention the exact number of strokes of the plimsoll each of them has had, before going into the "I am clearly not getting through to you" routine as prelude to upping the ante and telling them I going to cane them with the hope that "this will finally get through to all of you." I will have them change into PE kit for their caning. If any of them have been caned before, which is probably unlikely, they will get one stroke more the stroke than any of them have had before, otherwise 3 strokes, maybe four if I think they are taking it too well, it has to be sufficient to prevent them from thinking about collecting any more canings.

After this from now whatever they do will earn them detentions rather than slipperings, at least until the end of term. For that to work I will have to start using the slipper much less in general which might not be a bad thing as I have must have devalued its currency by using it so much.

Of course, any gambling in jurisdiction is not going to be tolerated, not if I don't my cut!(as I am still paying out on that last book I ran on the Grand National because of Foinavon).

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum