You are not connected. Please login or register

2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Jack

Admin
WORSE THINGS COULD HAPPEN
A Jack Production

You are passing by your son's bedroom and are astonished to see the bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then, you see an envelope, propped up prominently on the pillow. It is addressed, "Dad." With the worst premonition, you open the envelope and read the letter, with trembling hands...

"Dear, Dad. It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new girlfriend, because I wanted to avoid a scene with Mom and you. I've been finding real passion with Stacy, and she is so nice, but I knew you would not approve of her because of her piercings, tattoos, tight motorcycle clothes, and because she is so much older than I am. But it's not only the passion, Dad.

She's pregnant. Stacy said that we will be very happy. She owns a trailer in the woods, and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter. We share a dream of having many more children.

Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it for ourselves, and trading it with the other people in the commune, for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want. In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS, so Stacy can get better. She sure deserves it!

Don't worry, Dad. I'm 15, and I know how to take care of myself. Someday, I'm sure we'll be back to visit, so you can get to know your many grandchildren.

Love, your son, Joshua.

P.S. Dad, none of the above is true. I'm over at Jason's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than the school report that's on the kitchen table. Call when it is safe for me to come home!

JOSHUA - 15
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The school report shows C's and mostly D's except for the F in PE.  (How do you fail PE?)  Joshua is typically an A and B student with an occasional C.  The comments from the teachers are all in line with "needs to participate in class" and "needs to turn in assignments."

Will it ever be safe for Joshua to return home?

Last edited by David M. Katz on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected date)

2 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:45 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Yes, it is safe but we need to talk.  I need to know a lot of answers and some reasons why.

Obviously he is a bright boy based on his brilliant and grammatically correct note to me and his past performance. We need to figure out why he has dropped the ball at school.

Joshua will be on a short leash with school his main priority.  I see checking assignments and homework folders coming his way and there may be some limits on free time if it is interfering at school.  It isn't a punishment but Josh may perceive it as such but I hope not.  I truly want to help him.

I may also need to speak to some of his teachers and see if we can work together.

As far as PE, "Damn, boy, suck it up and dress out and do the jumping jacks."

3 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:13 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
well if he is talented enough to write that letter, then he needs to focus his efforts on his school work, I will be setting up a school folder and I will be vigorously checking it. He is on a low strike system that will lead to a sore bottom if he keeps avoiding his school work. I will also set up a parent teacher conference so they can keep me appraised of how he is doing. Oh and besides school this is probably the last time he sees his friends for a while.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:24 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Josh has a future as a screen writer or a novelist.

Katz is correct--the way you fail gym is by not suiting out.

I will tell him to come home so we can talk. And it will be JUST talk for now. He can do better. He's underachieving. And the question is why, and how it got far enough out of hand for that report card to have happened.

Like JB, I agree Josh will be on a tight leash, at least for a while, and he's not going to have much of a social life until his grades improve. I'll be monitoring that closely. I wish he'd done this in junior high when it doesn't count. At 15, assuming that's a semester and not a quarter, grade, that report card could impact his future in terms of where he gets into college.

I don't think a spanking for grades after the fact is much of a motivator. But I DO think that a homework folder system with strikes such as we are familiar with here is indicated, and that a sore bottom is a definite possible consequence for "failure to perform".

5 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:04 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Unlike when WE were kids, the school provides nearly continual instantaneous reportage of our kids' progress just for the asking/looking it up on line so if fault there be, it lies with mom and I for not keeping closer tabs on things.  There really is no reason for me to be looking 'in surprise' at a poor report card in this day and age.  We should have seen that he was either struggling or underperforming and corrected the situation long before it got to this point.  

He obviously has a command of the language and the ability to write and he is quite clever to give us a "sense of perspective".  I am however a bit worried about how he couched the question of "when is it safe to come home?"  That is a question WE (my brothers and I ) could have asked as kids, though we knew the answer; the sooner we returned to 'face the music' the better, as postponing the inevitable would only make it worse than it already was going to be!  An "F" in gym would have been utterly incomprehensible, that class was SO not worth a fifteener with the strop and a dozen with the crop on top of the tariff for all the C's and D's; it simply would NOT happen in our world.  I'm wondering, does he see me/his mother as ogres in the same vein I saw MY parents?  I sure do hope not and that too is something that needs addressed.  

When he does return we are going to be setting up some firm guidelines on expected performance and dealing with the other issues.  We'll also be much more attentive to the day to day school work so he can bring these grades up.  I'll need HIS cooperation in this as well; in this day and age one truly cannot expect to 'beat performance' out of a kid like mine thought they could!

On the other hand, I could simply wish him well in his new life and tell him we're looking forward to meeting the grandkids!! Razz

6 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
K Club

Kat

7 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:06 am

kalico

Sherrif
I'm dittoing JB on this one......

Embarassed I never look at my 8th graders online grades
I really don't have to she is an ALL A's and let me tell you that if she thinks she did bad EVERYONE knows affraid :

With the BOTD I will however start looking....

Hugs kal

8 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 am

ivor

Marshall
It appears something has gone suddenly and seriously wrong this semester. I need to get to the bottom of that rather than Josh's bottom initially. Once that has been done we can start finding ways to rectify the problem at which time Josh's bottom may well come into play.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

9 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:08 am

Jack

Admin
I agree with Kal to a large extent. While all my kids are required to keep homework folders, I trust most of the kids to do the keeping, with only an occasional glance from Dad to make sure they're staying on top of things. Only with the boys whom I know have trouble do I do more checks than that. With that in mind, I'm going to be more worried about why things changed so much, rather than punishing him for the change. Like everyone else, I'm going to start paying a lot more attention to his folder, and probably to his rear end if he's not very careful.

When Josh arrives home...

"Oh, Josh. Remember I told you it was safe to come home?"

"Yeah."

Dad holds up paddle.

"P.S. That wasn't true either."

I'll see how panicked he gets before I tell him I'm just joking.

10 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13 am

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack wrote:

"Oh, Josh.  Remember I told you it was safe to come home?"

"Yeah."

Dad holds up paddle.

lol!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

11 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:51 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Yes it is safe, At 15 though I want you to be as open as I am to discussing why things went wrong at school this term and how we can put it right. At 15 I think such consequences as you face will be pertinent to this end, may be by resetting your priorities and removing some of the distractions in your life till we have you back on track.

12 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Pi Beta

Deputy
Yes, he's safe. His letter will have brought a sense of perspective to the situation and I like his humour. He's obviously spent some time devising this strategy so I suspect he will also have spent some time analysing his performance o ver the past x months.

So we will sit down and I'll listen. If he's not ready to take the lead in the discussion, we'll have a very long period of silence until he initiates it and, assuming that he acknowledges his failings and the reasons for them, I'll want his take on where we go from here - carrot or stick if necessary - and what help he wants (needs, maybe) from me to get him back on track.

I'll also be wanting to know from the school why the hell they've not been in touch with me about his drop in standards. If anything, I'm more worried about the school's failings than his.

13 Re: 2 September 2015 - It Could Be Worse on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:55 pm

db105

Trailboss
This is a great BOTD scenario. After all these years, it's not easy to surprise us, but this got a chuckle out of me.

OK, I'm going to call him and tell him that it's safe for him to come back. "It's always safe for you here, son, even when you are in trouble."

Then, we'll have a talk. Obviously, as others have mentioned, at least in some ways he is a very bright boy. Surely his school performance can improve with some help and supervision. No punishment this time (making me laugh has to be worth something), but some strike system will have to be implemented.

Twisted Evil -> Evil-spanko-me: Jack's got the right idea here:

Jack wrote:

"Oh, Josh.  Remember I told you it was safe to come home?"

"Yeah."

Dad holds up paddle.

Only that last sentence won't apply, because I won't be joking.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum