a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 09-19-2015 We Don't Need No Educations - A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION
A DMK Production

Your fourteen year old son, Syd, is a drummer is a garage band with his friends Nick and Roger.  They call themselves The Drunken Aliens.  drunken  alien

The Drunken Aliens are actually really good and have a little bit of notoriety in your community and have played some private parties and school dances.  They do mostly original work but do some covers of 70's bands as well.

Syd and his friends are totally obsessed with their band and their music.

You aren't feeling well and so you come home from work early.  The boys are supposed to be in school.  When you try to pull in to your garage you see:

NICK, ROGER AND SYD - ALL 14 (THE DRUNKEN ALIENS)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Obviously the boys have skipped school; something the boys openly admit to doing.  The explain that they have a "huge gig" the coming up weekend and need the practice time. Syd then adds in, "Anyway, we really don't need school.  We are going to be rich and famous musicians."

Syd and his band buddies are all still subject to spanking.  You know Nick's and Roger's parents well and you all have mutual spanking permission.

What sort of education, if any, will you be giving to the boys?

John Boy

Sherrif
I'll turn them over to the school and let their education worry about it. I'm also tempted to cancel the gig unless it was a school gig then the school can do it for me.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
I guess it depends on whether this is a first offense.

Either way, I'm going to let all three boys know that skipping school is illegal, and that parents can be held accountable for their children's misbehavior in such cases. Even musicians need an education, at least enough to read the fine print on contracts and calculate royalties. I'm also going to let them know that the world is full of people who were going to be "rich and famous musicians" who...well, I'll let Hal David tell their story...

"LA is a great big city
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week, maybe two, they'll make you a star.
Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass.
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas...."

If this was a first offense, and they get it, I'll let it go at that.
If it's happened before, Syd will be in for a vicious (sorry, Ivor, couldn't resist the pun) spanking, and I will leave it up to the rest of the boys in the band whether I deal with them myself or call their parents.

AFinch

Sherrif
John Boy wrote:I'll turn them over to the school and let their education worry about it. I'm also tempted to cancel the gig unless it was a school gig then the school can do it for me.

The problem I'd have with cancelling their gig is that doing so potentially impacts a lot of other people--if they were, for example, playing for a Bar Mitzvah or Sweet 16 or something such, that would hugely inconvenience the people who hired them, and would make it very unlikely they would EVER get another gig.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The boys probably will not be a big success in the music industry, but they might!

Nevertheless school is only preparation for real life but their gig IS real life and so their gig must take priority over school and its supposed future benefits!

In any case their preparation for a real paying gig is more educational then a day of school!

Then there is the matter of law. When I entered the U.S. Navy I swore to support and defend the constitution, NOT the Supreme court or any other court! The constitution clearly bans involuntary servitude and furthermore states that any if private property is taken for public use then just compensation must be paid. The labor of children is clearly private property and so banning it is taking it. Thus any school attendance law which does not provide for pay for the students time is illegal!

Since it is impractical for me to enforce this claim I will provide any requested excuses the school wants. (true of false)

Iconoclast

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
They don't want to go to school...

Fine, I know a local coal mine that needs some breaker boys at seven shillings a week...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Note the cane in the overseer's hands... useful for enforcing strict attention to duty...

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier.

Kat

John Boy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:
John Boy wrote:I'll turn them over to the school and let their education worry about it. I'm also tempted to cancel the gig unless it was a school gig then the school can do it for me.

The problem I'd have with cancelling their gig is that doing so potentially impacts a lot of other people--if they were, for example, playing for a Bar Mitzvah or Sweet 16 or something such, that would hugely inconvenience the people who hired them, and would make it very unlikely they would EVER get another gig.
I did say tempted, not going to. I was merely making a point. Maybe ruffle their feathers.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
Seems to me to be a school issue, but I hope they deal with it severely Evil or Very Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
I'm going to point out to the boys that they're only 14, and that they don't have any kind of gig this weekend without my (and the other boys' parents) permission. If they don't follow the rules, they're not going to get that permission.

Having said that, I'm going to sit down with them and have a discussion about the reasons they do need an education - from the fact that many famous musicians are also extremely intelligent and well-educated (Brian May of Queen is a doctor of astro-physics), to the fact that they need to be able to understand very complex contracts, fee and royalty schedules, to the fact that, famous or not, they may have to work other jobs before and after they are rich, famous musicians.

Assuming Syd is an only child, I'll remind all three boys what the penalty for illegal behavior is, but that they're getting a pass this one time. They won't get a pass on the school's consequences, which will hopefully include the paddle and detention.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Sometimes you have to suffer for your art. Tempting as it might be to find out if they can still hold top C these days the Vice Principal can find out what their high notes are. I will give them gbh of the ear drums just as I've had from them. Some clashing cymbals/symbols may be.. Now time For Syd to hit the books and work on his school notes
It is a good point though. Very few make it in top sport or music. There has to be an education if life plan A doesn't happen

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum