a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10-15-2015 Paul And The Pig - A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
PAUL AND THE PIG
A DMK (Iconoclast - Autumn Parade Inspired) Production

You have a ten year old son, Paul.  You live next to a pig farm.  Paul visits the farm regularly and has befriended one of the new piglets.  Paul is devastated when he realizes what the pigs, including his piglet friend, are destined for.

Paul asks you to do something but you try to as gently as possible explain how farm life is and how it is the meat shows up in the grocery store. Paul will hear none of it and runs out crying.  

Unknown to you he steals his favorite piglet in a effort to rescue it and runs away with it.

Paul makes it as far as the city when he is spotted and you are called.

Paul - 10 (With Piglet)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What happens to Paul (and the pig)?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm sympathetic. But cute little piglets grow up quickly to be swine, and they aren't suitable pets. If his bud were a pot belly pig, my answer would be different. (I'd make an offer for said piglet and we'd keep him as a pet. I always loved Arnold on Green Acres).

As it is, we'll talk. I'm going to tell him that, no matter how good his intentions were, taking the pig is stealing. I'm going to remind him that he's way out of bounds, and that he worried all of us by running away. I'm going to remind him of Uncle Remus' best words of wisdom (You can't run away from your problems. Ain't no place that far.). I'm going to remind him he jeopardized his own safety by running off, and tell him how sad we'd be if anything had happened to him. We'll have another gentle conversation about the Circle of Life, and we'll discuss whether Paul wants to become a vegetarian. Ultimately, we'll go home, and return the piglet. I'm sure the farmer will understand.

I don't see that spanking an already traumatized kid will accomplish anything other than proving I'm a bully.

Jack

Admin
I think it's cruel of the farmer to let the boy make friends with animals meant for slaughter, and I surely hope that I didn't know about it.

I might not do it right now, but I am going to make sure Paul knows how badly he's screwed up, and how much trouble he should be in. Since I won't be spanking him, I won't him to really understand why the things he did was wrong. I agree with Kier that having to let the pig go is going to be bad enough.

IvyLiz

Dude
I may have a rich imagination, but since I don’t have kids I can’t begin to fathom the sick feeling a parent would get if their child vanished! I feel like the world would probably seem like it had stopped spinning and you’d get that rushing in your ears and get dizzy and have that sick feeling in your tummy. I hope that he was found before I realized he was missing, but, really; am I that oblivious to my kid’s whereabouts that I wouldn’t miss him until someone called and said he’d been found? The scenario doesn’t say, but dang it I’m stuck on this part. I think I’m so traumatized at this point that I’d be hugging him to bits.

However, tomorrow I’ll probably be very angry. I’ll keep the anger in check knowing his heart was in the right place even though his actions were misplaced. I’ll sit down with him and have a serious discussion about: the ways he could have been hurt, the definition of stealing, and how very much I love him. Then more hugs.

Wilbur goes back to the farm.

AFinch

Sherrif
IvyLiz wrote:I may have a rich imagination, but since I don’t have kids I can’t begin to fathom the sick feeling a parent would get if their child vanished! I feel like the world would probably seem like it had stopped spinning and you’d get that rushing in your ears and get dizzy and have that sick feeling in your tummy. I hope that he was found before I realized he was missing, but, really; am I that oblivious to my kid’s whereabouts that I wouldn’t miss him until someone called and said he’d been found? The scenario doesn’t say, but dang it I’m stuck on this part. I think I’m so traumatized at this point that I’d be hugging him to bits.

However, tomorrow I’ll probably be very angry. I’ll keep the anger in check knowing his heart was in the right place even though his actions were misplaced. I’ll sit down with him and have a serious discussion about: the ways he could have been hurt, the definition of stealing, and how very much I love him. Then more hugs.

He's 10, not 4.  While I wouldn't expect him to be running around after dark, by 10, I WOULD expect him to have some independence, and not require constant watching.  Granted, the world is a different place today (it's actually safer, despite what the media says), but as a 10 year old, I came home from school, talked to my mom for a minute, and went out and played until dark.  I knew what my boundaries were supposed to be, but if I'd done what Paul does in this scenario, I wouldn't have been missed until I didn't show up for dinner.

John Boy

Sherrif
ditto Jack

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto jack and the general consensus

Hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
This one has got me stymied Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:I'm sympathetic.  But cute little piglets grow up quickly to be swine, and they aren't suitable pets.  If his bud were a pot belly pig, my answer would be different.  (I'd make an offer for said piglet and we'd keep him as a pet.  I always loved Arnold on Green Acres).

As it is, we'll talk.  I'm going to tell him that, no matter how good his intentions were, taking the pig is stealing.  I'm going to remind him that he's way out of bounds, and that he worried all of us by running away.  I'm going to remind him of Uncle Remus' best words of wisdom (You can't run away from your problems.  Ain't no place that far.).  I'm going to remind him he jeopardized his own safety by running off, and tell him how sad we'd be if anything had happened to him.  We'll have another gentle conversation about the Circle of Life, and we'll discuss whether Paul wants to become a vegetarian.  Ultimately, we'll go home, and return the piglet.  I'm sure the farmer will understand.

I don't see that spanking an already traumatized kid will accomplish anything other than proving I'm a bully.

I cant top that. It is correct but it is also sensitive. The trouble is animals are on farms either to work or produce. A pig sadly is a little limited in his purpose or use to us

Jack

Admin
AFinch wrote:
IvyLiz wrote:I may have a rich imagination, but since I don’t have kids I can’t begin to fathom the sick feeling a parent would get if their child vanished! I feel like the world would probably seem like it had stopped spinning and you’d get that rushing in your ears and get dizzy and have that sick feeling in your tummy. I hope that he was found before I realized he was missing, but, really; am I that oblivious to my kid’s whereabouts that I wouldn’t miss him until someone called and said he’d been found? The scenario doesn’t say, but dang it I’m stuck on this part. I think I’m so traumatized at this point that I’d be hugging him to bits.

He's 10, not 4.  While I wouldn't expect him to be running around after dark, by 10, I WOULD expect him to have some independence, and not require constant watching.  Granted, the world is a different place today (it's actually safer, despite what the media says), but as a 10 year old, I came home from school, talked to my mom for a minute, and went out and played until dark.  I knew what my boundaries were supposed to be, but if I'd done what Paul does in this scenario, I wouldn't have been missed until I didn't show up for dinner.

As a current parent, I pretty much agree with Kier. Because of my situation (11 kids in the house, and more than that here after school every afternoon), I do have pretty strict rules (pretty strictly enforced) about how to come and go, where they can go without getting specific permission from me, and when they have to be back; but, if a kid signed out properly, he could be gone at least several hours (on a non-school day) before I realized anything was wrong.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I find it difficult to accept that it has taken him this long to realise the realities of pig farming. I'm in general agreement with what has been written above and certainly wouldn't spank an already upset lad, though I suspect his tears when we're reunited will be a mixture of relief, shock and fear.

Time to get a puppy (or two) for him to take responsibility for!

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Kier.

Kat

1strappedboy

Sherrif
There was a time I would have rolled my eyes and said, "oh brother" with regard to this sort of thing. I have had in the intervening time an opportunity to learn that many non farming kids really have NO idea where meat comes from. They may realize pork of from pigs but they don't "really" get it. As an old farm boy, I had to come to terms with reality relatively quickly and the I feel for Paul: Gramps always told us to never "name" the livestock but I couldn't help it when I was first on the farm and was equally devastated when 'Wilbur' became chops, ham and bacon.

All that being said, I think that while I won't punish him for trying to spare the pig, I do have to support/reassure/explain to him the proverbial 'fact of life' in a manner that he can come to grips with. He can return the pig to the farm and apologize for its theft. Hopefully he'll enjoy his bacon enough to overcome his squeamishness at how/from where it is procured.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum