BOTD 11-19-2015 Pete's Part - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Pete's Part
A Kat Production

Pete
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You allowed your 11 year old son Pete to take a role in a community theater production of The Sound of Music. The director has requested that parents drop the kids off and pick them up rather than staying for rehearsals. Now, just two weeks before opening, you receive a call from her. Pete has begun causing problems at rehearsals: he doesn’t follow directions, he wanders off so that he misses cues, he is disrespectful when corrected, and he is disruptive offstage. To demonstrate her complaints, she sends you some video of the last rehearsal, where you can see for yourself that Pete is definitely being a brat. Replacing him is pretty well impossible at this point. She asks you to intervene. How will you sort Pete out?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I'm thinking of a short production of "the sound of spanking" starring Pete's behind

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm pretty much with Skater. Had the director contacted me earlier, Peter and I would have talked. If he'd decided performing wasn't for him, he could have been replaced.

At this point, he's made a commitment and it's too late to replace him (on Broadway he'd have been gone the FIRST TIME he acted up). It appears he's able to adequately perform his role when he isn't being a brat. I'm going to suggest to the director his behavior might improve markedly with me or my partner in the audience. If she is agreeable to that, I'm going to let Peter know that if I have to intervene at rehearsal, he isn't going to like what happens. And while no one else will watch, EVERYONE else will know.

John Boy

Sherrif
The show must go on and so his pants must come down.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
How do you solve a problem like Peter?

Pete's room is alive with the sound of spanking.

AFinch

Sherrif
Or, an Addams Family reference--the sound of one hand clapping.

db105

Trailboss
Consider yourself spanked!
Consider yourself red-bottomed and teary-eyed!
You have earned this so bad!
It's clear we're going to have a "talk"!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

ivor

Marshall
When the hand spanks, when my butt stings,
Then I'm feeling sad
And try to remember above other things
In future - not to be bad.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
To be honest, unless Pete has problems like this at home, my reaction is going to be a bit different. My problem is that this woman let this build into a problem, and has now called me, expecting me to correct her errors. I can see how he's acting on a video, but what made her feel like she needed to video the behavior before calling me? For that matter, if she's let this go on for this long, how do I know Pete's even the only one doing it?

Before doing anything else, I'm going to have a talk with Pete, tell him what happened and ask what's been going on there. I will probably remind him that he made this commitment, that it's too late to back out now, and that it's very important for him to save the playing around for outside the play. A lot of people are depending on him, and he needs to live up to that. Further, since parents aren't coming to rehearsal, he will probably be VERY embarrassed if the director calls me again, and I end up being the only parent there. More than that, if I have to come sit through rehearsals to make sure he's behaving, I'm going to be very unhappy with him.

(Real life explanation: If you remember my dad's last step-son, Trent, you may remember that his mom was using me as an executioner. She would tolerate all kinds of behavior from him, then send him to me for punishment when she got mad at him. It was no help to Trent at all, and it only hurt my relationship with him. That makes me pretty uncomfortable with acting out against Pete without more information).

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Oh! Ivor Laughing Laughing Laughing .................. Act I; scene I

Subsequently I'll dispense the doc's prescription.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote: My problem is that this woman let this build into a problem, and has now called me, expecting me to correct her errors.  I can see how he's acting on a video, but what made her feel like she needed to video the behavior before calling me?  For that matter, if she's let this go on for this long, how do I know Pete's even the only one doing it?

This is recent behavior, according to the scenario, so let's not assume she allowed it to build. She has tried to correct it a few times before calling, which seems reasonable to me.

She didn't create the video specifically to document Pete's behavior but rather to create a visual aid to her rehearsal notes. That the video captures some of Pete's misbehavior is incidental.

Does it matter if others are involved when you can see for yourself that Pete is? Perhaps if others are involved, she has also called their parents.

By all means, I'd hear Pete's side of this; but even if he has some legitimate issue with the director, crew or cast, I'm going to address his poor behavior. He's going to have to rise to the level of Charles Darrow if he's to escape a well-earned spanking.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:Does it matter if others are involved when you can see for yourself that Pete is? Perhaps if others are involved, she has also called their parents.

Yes.

In any given scenario, we each bring some personal history and prejudice to it. In some scenarios, the writer feels he's probably given enough information, but other people might feel they need more, possibly because of said personal history.

Honestly, I wouldn't have this problem in real life, because I would have been able to talk to her and clarify any doubts and answer any questions I had.

The other problem I think I have is a clear definition of what 'bratty behavior' really means.

No, I guess what my real problem comes down to is that I'm not comfortable spanking because of what some undefined problems posited by someone I don't know. I still think I'd give a lecture and warning this time, but spankings are certainly on the table if any further problem occurs.

ivor

Marshall
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:Does it matter if others are involved when you can see for yourself that Pete is? Perhaps if others are involved, she has also called their parents.

No, I guess what my real problem comes down to is that I'm not comfortable spanking because of what some undefined problems posited by someone I don't know. I still think I'd give a lecture and warning this time, but spankings are certainly on the table if any further problem occurs.

Mmm....  I would have thought the problems were pretty well defined. scratch

"Pete has begun causing problems at rehearsals: he doesn’t follow directions, he wanders off so that he misses cues, he is disrespectful when corrected, and he is disruptive offstage."

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:The other problem I think I have is a clear definition of what 'bratty behavior' really means.  

Kat wrote:Pete has begun causing problems at rehearsals: he doesn’t follow directions, he wanders off so that he misses cues, he is disrespectful when corrected, and he is disruptive offstage. To demonstrate her complaints, she sends you some video of the last rehearsal, where you can see for yourself that Pete is definitely being a brat.

I'm unsure how I might have defined his behavior more clearly except through giving a series of specific examples, which would have "shown" rather than told --  but at the cost of creating a story rather than a scenario.

As I've said in the past, I'm not looking for some right answer or universal agreement in the replies with scenarios I write. I think it's certainly possible to make a case for something other than a spanking, or even a punishment. I just don't see that case as resting on lack of information or ambiguity about Pete's actual misbehavior. Perhaps you'd disagree that the misbehavior I list in the scenario is serious enough to warrant a spanking or other punishment; for instance, someone might see it as a kid just being a kid in a setting that is not as structured as many activities an 11-year-old is used to. Someone might also question why the director requested parents not to remain present, which is something the scenario doesn't say. Even with valid reasons, (parents sometimes have an inhibiting effect; not all parents can come, making some kids feel bad; some parents are too aggressive in discipline, creating an awkward tension between her rules and those of the parents) one could argue she needed to have more adult supervision and more structure, such as activities for when kids are not on stage. One might have argued she needed to communicate a clear set of expectations, including consequences for failing to meet them, to both the kids and their parents.

I find it very difficult to write a scenario that closes all loopholes. I'm not sure that's even a good idea; agreement in the answers is a bit boring. I guess what I want to create usually are scenarios in which the kid's behavior isn't in dispute but the best way of addressing the issue leads to a vigorous (and I hope civil) discussion.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Oh, I definitely agree with you, Kat. I wasn't trying to argue that others were wrong, just that I, personally would not be comfortable spanking in this situation - not because of any specific act that might or might not deserve a spanking, but (as I said in my first post), because this just reminds me too much of a situation I've been in before.

You make a couple of interesting points of how else the director might have responded, and I didn't really think of those. What I was really thinking of was teachers and coaches (and parents, for that matter) I've known who set no limits on behavior, then get mad and throw fits. I guess my reaction is more from wanting to know that Pete really knew he was doing wrong, than from him thinking he was playing and suddenly having the hammer lowered on him.

And yeah, it would be boring if everyone gave the same answer all the time.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:What I was really thinking of was teachers and coaches (and parents, for that matter) I've known who set no limits on behavior, then get mad and throw fits.  I guess my reaction is more from wanting to know that Pete really knew he was doing wrong, than from him thinking he was playing and suddenly having the hammer lowered on him.

Fair enough. Very Happy If you are going to deal with kids, you have to recognize that they aren't miniature adults.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
Its a pity its got this far.Pete needs to save the acting for the stage. I'm not spanking yet but I am putting Pete on notice not to mess this up for everyone or else and I wouldn't mind a reason why. Pete now has a chance to persuade me that I and my paddle don't have to turn up to the next rehearsal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum