Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

12-17-2015 If A Spoonful of Sugar Won't Help the Medicine Go Down Then What? A Kat Prod

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
If a Spoonful of Sugar Won’t Help the Medicine Go Down, Then What?
A Kat Production

Your six year old, Taylor, is usually a sweet kid; but when he gets sick, he turns into a little monster. Right now he is being treated with oral antibiotic.

Taylor
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Though you paid the pharmacy extra to add cherry flavoring to the stuff, Taylor still insists it tastes horrible. When it’s time for a dose, he refuses to cooperate. He runs from you; he clenches his teeth; when you hold his nose to make him open his mouth, he spits the medicine right back out at you. You’ve tried to be patient because he really does feel miserable, but nothing works – not even small bribes, such as money for the piggy bank or candy. What is the next move?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I think next comes a couple of 'stingoors' (Trademark Cappy)

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The next step is easy: Just ask the doctor to shoot the antibiotic into Taylor's butt!

Iconoclast

mahoover

Cowboy
My father was a doctor, and when I was 5 I refused to take an antibiotic. He explained that I needed to take the medicine and this was one of the cases where there wasn't a choice about taking the antibiotic. I could either take the teaspoon full, or he would take me in to the office and give me a shot. It only took one shot for me to learn to take the oral medicine.

I will explain to Taylor that is a case where he needs the medicine, and he will get it one way or another. Hopefully it won't take a trip back to the doctor's office.

In other words ditto Iconoclast Smile

AFinch

Sherrif
Hot button question for me--I used to restrain myself, only with great difficulty, from going off when I heard a parent say: "If you don't behave, I'm going to tell the doctor to give you a shot."

It would depend on why he's getting an oral antibiotic whether a one time injection would even be a good alternative. Since cherry flavoring is being added, it's likely it's amoxicillin. Pretty much the only case where a single shot would be reasonable would be for strep throat, in which case, with a recalcitrant kid (or less than reliable parents), I'd opt for long acting penicillin intramuscularly (i.e. a shot in the butt).

Like Mahoover's dad, I will explain this is not negotiable. He's going to take the medicine one way or another. I remember being Taylor's age and knowing I was going to get a shot. I locked myself in the bathroom to avoid the inevitable. Sooner or later, you have to come out. And when I did, I got a spanking AND a shot (though after the spanking, I don't think I even felt the needle). I'll share that story with Taylor in a "a word to the wise is sufficient" manner. The rest will be up to him.

ivor

Marshall
Sounds a bit like trying to give pills to a Kat cat!

I'm going to have to go with the Doc's advice.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Not being sure if this is available in another form or not (antibiotic suppositories?), I might call and ask. The scenario says that 'not even candy' works, so I'm going to assume I already offered him a butterscotch or a spoonful of honey to take after the medicine. If that's true, I will try the simple explanation that he has to take the medicine if he wants to get to feeling better, and that I am willing to spank if he continues to make sure a fuss about it.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Over this side of the pond "medicines" (apart from such as cough syrups) are history. Antibiotics all seem to be available in either tablet or capsule form.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Padraig

Trailboss
Yes and no, MM. We're talking about child medics and especially antibiotics. While a lot of medics are available as suppository, that doesn't work with antibiotics. And if the child is too young to swallow pills savely there is just the choice between juice or shot.

Nevertheless at 6 he should be old enough either to take pills (I didn't manage to swallow pills until I reached my double digits or so) or to see reason. I really don't want to spank for this because I don't want him to connect medics with punishment.

mahoover

Cowboy
AFinch wrote:It would depend on why he's getting an oral antibiotic whether a one time injection would even be a good alternative.  Since cherry flavoring is being added, it's likely it's amoxicillin.  Pretty much the only case where a single shot would be reasonable would be for strep throat, in which case, with a recalcitrant kid (or less than reliable parents), I'd opt for long acting penicillin intramuscularly (i.e. a shot in the butt).

Dad was clear that the shot I got wasn't a one time thing, that I would have to take each dose orally or I would have to get another shot.  With that being said, there is a huge difference between a non-doctor parent today and a family practitioner in the late 60s.  With how medicine has changed over the last few decades, I don't think Dad's solution would work as easily today.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I didn't want to get too specific about why Taylor is taking antibiotic or which one he is taking because I'm too lazy to research that properly. Laughing

I'm not a big fan of threatening a child with a shot if he doesn't take the oral medicine. Assuming that a shot is a possibility, I still don't like the idea of creating a connection between punishment and a shot. It's a bit like the parents who point to a police officer and tell their kids that the cop will arrest them if they misbehave. You really don't want to foster the idea that shots are punishment or always avoidable, just as you don't want kids to think they can be put in jail for childish misbehavior.

A six year old should be able to understand why taking his medicine is necessary, and I'm sure I would have explained that to him. I'll go with Kier's answer.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Somewhat off topic here, but I was lucky enough to have a doctor who had GREAT 'bedside manner' with kids, and he could give shots without you really noticing them. I think that helped a lot, and I don't remember having trouble taking pills or syrups either. My personal dread was that, even for minor scrapes or cuts, Mom wanted to paint it with Mercurochrome, and that stuff BURNED!

squarecutter

Sherrif
We are gong to have a long chat about it I will tell him that big brave boys take medicine without fussing and also he has to know that the alternative is a shot in the butt, not to be mean but because he has to have the medicine. Moreover I will tell him I will spank his behind if he spits the stuff out again. Its nasty. The trick is to put the spoon right back in his mouth, so like a pill he barely tastes it.

I am wondering if I can smuggle this stuff into his pudding though if it now tastes of cherry that may not help

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:Somewhat off topic here, but I was lucky enough to have a doctor who had GREAT 'bedside manner' with kids, and he could give shots without you really noticing them.  I think that helped a lot, and I don't remember having trouble taking pills or syrups either.  My personal dread was that, even for minor scrapes or cuts, Mom wanted to paint it with Mercurochrome, and that stuff BURNED!

Lucky you. My family had a doctor that I always think of as "Fish Eyes". My mother had a knack for finding doctors and dentists that sucked. One of his kids was a year older than me and so we had some high school electives together. She was salutatorian of her class, as the valedictorian that year was a really brilliant kid and National Merit Scholarship winner. Fish Eyes told her how disappointed he was in her. This was the hot topic on the bus taking a group of us to Waco for a speech tournament. I still remember her friends trying to console her on the bus. I guess I'm lucky I only had to suffer him as a doctor. Let's just say he was very cold and impersonal. I wanted Dr. Kildare (either Lew Ayres or Richard Chamberlain would do).

Kat

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
I'm of the talk school for at six he should be able to understand that the medicine will make him get better.  Even though it been disguised it still might taste bad (remember kids taste differently than adults) so a follow up reward of stuff he loves like chocolate ice cream.  No way punishment as connecting medicine and punishment a very bad thing.

Long ago I wrote about The Beaver's worry about his doctor being a pill or a shot type.  You can read at << www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/SSC2001.htm#5 >>.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:
Jack wrote:Somewhat off topic here, but I was lucky enough to have a doctor who had GREAT 'bedside manner' with kids, and he could give shots without you really noticing them.  I think that helped a lot, and I don't remember having trouble taking pills or syrups either.  My personal dread was that, even for minor scrapes or cuts, Mom wanted to paint it with Mercurochrome, and that stuff BURNED!

Lucky you. My family had a doctor that I always think of as "Fish Eyes". My mother had a knack for finding doctors and dentists that sucked. One of his kids was a year older than me and so we had some high school electives together. She was salutatorian of her class, as the valedictorian that year was a really brilliant kid and National Merit Scholarship winner. Fish Eyes told her how disappointed he was in her. This was the hot topic on the bus taking a group of us to Waco for a speech tournament. I still remember her friends trying to console her on the bus. I guess I'm lucky I only had to suffer him as a doctor. Let's just say he was very cold and impersonal. I wanted Dr. Kildare (either Lew Ayres or Richard Chamberlain would do).

Kat

My pediatrician retired when I was just barely old enough to switch to a regular doc. I remember he treated me for tonsillitis one time. The thing is, he was also my mom's, aunt, and uncle's pediatrician.

He had a bedside manner that probably wouldn't be tolerated right now. After he had my bottom bare, he'd talk to me about how I'd been behaving. Then he'd say 'you mean you haven't had to have any spankings lately?'

'No.'

'Not even little ones like this?'

smack.

"No," me laughing about now.

"Okay, it's over, you can pull up your pants."

And it was that easy - also kind of fun for a spanko kid.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum