a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/3/16 "Clearing The Table" An Anonymous Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
CLEARING THE TABLE
An Anonymous Production

The year is 1890 and you are the husband and master in an affluent household in the upper middle class area of Maryleborne.

The lady of the house has just brought a new page, eleven year old Simon, to you.  The lady says she caught Simon eating food from plates in the dining room.  The food was leftovers after the family and guests had finished dinner.

The lady catches Simon in the act:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Simon's excuse is that the cook told him to clear the table and he was simply doing as he was told.

What do you do with this page?  (Remember the year is 1890.)

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Even in 1890, I figure the boy must have been hungry to eat someone else's leavings and so I leave directions to the housekeeper to see to it he is adequately fed unless she wants to find new employment. Later, in private, I tell the 'lady' of the house my opinion of her for shaming the boy instead of handling matters with the domestic staff herself, as that is surely her responsibility.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
I need to get to the bottom of the page, to do which, strangely, I have to turn it over. Over my knee that is for a sound spanking with the lady's hairbrush.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think in the era concerned much of the disciplining of junior servants was done by senior servants, The question would have been whether to retain Simon or turf him out whence he came. I will ask Simon whether he is being well fed within my House and if not asking serious questions of my Housekeeper, Cook, and Butler. Servants were not paid much but they were usually better off for a roof over their head and food to eat. Also what might they be planning for the leftover food that made what Simon did such a heinous crime.  Any physical discipline will be carried out by senior servants and unless shown to be inherently dishonest Simon will keep his position. I don't see that being the case with a hungry 11 year old boy

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ivor wrote:I need to get to the bottom of the page, to do which, strangely, I have to turn it over. Over my knee that is for a sound spanking with the lady's hairbrush.

Rolling Eyes  Twisted Evil  Laughing

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie will not reply later after seeing what others have to say...

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
StevieWeeks wrote:
3) Theft of food was a serious matter when there were servants in a household and anything of this nature needed to be clamped down on or the householders were likely to be robbed blind. The destination of the food was not important - most likely it would have been served to the servants in any case - but there is a point that, even if it were destined for the dustbin, there was a value to it - cook would most likely have been the owner of 'kitchen stuff' as a perk and probably have been in receipt of a weekly stipend from the dust removal men for it.

Stevie.

I'm finding it very hard to imagine how taking the food left on someone's plate after a meal could possibly be theft. Giving such food to the servants for their meal strikes me as an appalling thing to do, but if it's the way I run this household, then I'm sure I'd have the poor child's skin flayed off and then discharge him from service -- or even turn him over to the authorities on the charge of theft. I hope I enjoy my meals, though I suspect sooner or later, one of the servants will start adding a bit of arsenic to them, which will explain my sudden gastritis.

Kat

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I was brought up in austere times - just after the Hitler war - when no food could be wasted and we were taught to leave nothing on our plates. Even today I can not bear to see food thrown out. I just take what I can eat from the buffet or carvery while fat people pile their plates and leave much of it.

Here some people put plates of bread outside their houses for the djinns. I assume the djinns empty the plates or the people would give up the practice. So we have to believe there really are djinns - and they need their daily bread.

Anyway, as for the page, I'm going to whack him.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Emlyn Morgan wrote:I was brought up in austere times - just after the Hitler war - when no food could be wasted and we were taught to leave nothing on our plates.  Even today I can not bear to see food thrown out.  I just take what I can eat from the buffet or carvery while fat people pile their plates and leave much of it.

Here some people put plates of bread outside their houses for the djinns.  I assume the djinns empty the plates or the people would give up the practice.  So we have to believe there really are djinns - and they need their daily bread.

Anyway, as for the page, I'm going to whack him.

Ahh Emlyn I thought you were going to praise the Page for not letting food go to waste!

Jack

Admin
I really don't know enough about this era to answer properly. I'm going to guess that the boy was probably sneaking treats rather than doing his job properly, which probably requires a light correction (possibly even verbal).

Pi Beta

Deputy
I suspect it would be either a severe thrashing followed by dismissal (back to the workhouse?) or possibly just the latter - both way over the top in my own thinking, but that isn't the question.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I want to think that I am the exception to the way things were.

I will realize Simon's dire state and so I will adopt him and give him a life where he no longer has to rummage through table scraps to survive.

Padraig

Trailboss
I'm a bit at loss of words here. I think it might be different if he just scraped off the leftovers on peoples eating plates or if he took food off serving plates (here I don't know how to name the difference).

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Notice that he's helped himself to the leftover wine...

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
People overthink botd's set in the past, assuming there is some sort of "right" answer that comes from channeling historical attitudes; but if everyone in any era were always in lockstep, then changes couldn't happen. I can't imagine myself punishing a child for eating leftover food, even in Victorian times.

Padraig makes a good point. The way I understand the scenario, Simon is taking food left on plates rather than taking unserved leftover food. I can see that eating food not served would be a different matter, as it's probably destined to reappear at the servants' dinner or some other meal. Even so, if this family can afford a large domestic staff, then a few bites of food shouldn't cause concern.

Kat

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
StevieWeeks wrote:Notice that he's helped himself to the leftover wine...

Has he? He's not holding the wine glass. If the person sitting at the head of the table was wasteful enough to leave food on his plate, he was probably wasteful enough to leave wine in his glass.

Kat

17 Wine? on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Justinek

Dude
It is understandable if the boy has eaten from left food if he was extremely hungry but IF he has drunken wine I think an elder male servant should cane him.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Kat wrote:People overthink botd's set in the past, assuming there is some sort of "right" answer that comes from channeling historical attitudes; but if everyone in any era were always in lockstep, then changes couldn't happen. I can't imagine myself punishing a child for eating leftover food, even in Victorian times.

Padraig makes a good point. The way I understand the scenario, Simon is taking food left on plates rather than taking unserved leftover food. I can see that eating food not served would be a different matter, as it's probably destined to reappear at the servants' dinner or some other meal. Even so, if this family can afford a large domestic staff, then a few bites of food shouldn't cause concern.

Kat

Kat I do understand where your coming from but I also think trying to get into the times is important, Its a bit like political correctness. Do you censure a book written 150 years ago for attitudes that were normal then but barely acceptable today. Pertinently do you excise the word "nigger" from every historical novel. For that reason also, if corporal punishment is warranted it generally comes with greater severity than in the modern era

I think here though that many well to do Gentlemen of the time if not their wives would take a more paternalistic and Liberal attitude within their household and this would include their retinue of servants. If not, only the desperate ones would stay. I also agree served leftovers and unserved food are entirely different things

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Kat wrote:People overthink botd's set in the past, assuming there is some sort of "right" answer that comes from channeling historical attitudes; but if everyone in any era were always in lockstep, then changes couldn't happen. I can't imagine myself punishing a child for eating leftover food, even in Victorian times.
Kat

There may not be a "right" answer in botd's set in the past but there is a "probable" answer based on historical circumstances.

In this scenario I wonder why the lady of the house is arraigning the boy before her husband.  In those times the lady herself was usually responsible for the hiring and firing of servants and the overseeing of their duties.  She presumably has already decided not to dismiss the boy, nor has she tasked a manservant to thrash him.

Is she perhaps taking advantage of the knowledge that her husband delights in spanking little boys?  Also perhaps she enjoys watching?  Surely the bed is going to creak tonight. Wink

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
MemoryMan wrote:There may not be a "right" answer in botd's set in the past but there is a "probable" answer based on historical circumstances.

I've made an attempt to explain why I think some people are unnecessarily limiting themselves in responding to historical scenarios; I can see that I've failed to make myself clear. I'll continue to respond in the way I hope and believe I would react to the situation, regardless of the era. Everyone else, of course, is free to do as he or she chooses.

Kat

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Kat wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:There may not be a "right" answer in botd's set in the past but there is a "probable" answer based on historical circumstances.

I've made an attempt to explain why I think some people are unnecessarily limiting themselves in responding to historical scenarios; I can see that I've failed to make myself clear. I'll continue to respond in the way I hope and believe I would react to the situation, regardless of the era. Everyone else, of course, is free to do as he or she chooses.

Kat

Point taken. My choice will be to remain a time traveller.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum