a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/9/16 "Dressed Appropriately?" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
DRESSED APPROPRIATELY?
A DMK Production

You have a twelve year old son, Eric.  Eric is spanked if needed. Eric has a best friend, also twelve, Matt.  Eric and Matt have a strange competition going on.  Both boys have challenged each other to wear shorts year round; regardless of the weather.  So far, both Eric and Matt have made it a little over ten months, since they started their competition, without benefit of long pants.  

You haven't given much thought to the contest as there is no violation of school dress code and you assume Eric will put on pants if he gets cold enough.  Your SO is less than happy about Eric's attire especially since the days are now cold but has, so far, let it pass with just some mild complaining.  As far as you know, Matt's parents feel as you do about the issue. Today was the first snowfall of the season (snow is rare in your area) and schools were closed.

Matt kept up the contest.  Here is Matt when he dropped by your house earlier:

MATT - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your SO finally intervened and told Eric of he wanted to go out and play in the snow that he needed to dress appropriately.  Your SO went to check on Eric a bit later and found this:

ERIC - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Eric was sent in and banished to his room.  You are now home and your SO explains what happens and says you need to deal with Eric's disobedience.

What do you do?

Jack

Admin
Is he frost bitten? Was he complaining about being cold? Then quit making a big deal out of it.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Worse than my mother.  She would say: "I'm cold; go put on a sweater."  To this day, I still have not got myself a sweeter. <sigh>
ten
As Jack said.  Basically, he's old enough to notice that he is cold and come in.

But it probably time to talk to both lads about pausing the bet should the temperature and wind chill start to get dangerously low.

Y

P.S.  I note that he wearing a hat, gloves, coat and boots.

P.P.S. I hope the couch is not lumpy because I may be needing it tonight.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Padraig

Trailboss
Countless boys have worn shorts all year round for decades if not centuries an survived. But it is hard to stand up against motherly instincts. If she will not accept that I think we parents have to declare a truce, like it or not, boys. No spanking, though...

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:Is he frost bitten?  Was he complaining about being cold?  Then quit making a big deal out of it.

Right Jack!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
It appears that, again, the services of Em's attorney may be needed, but, as far as this scenario:

Was he simply told to "dress appropriately" or was he specifically told no shorts? I am going with that the direction was left vague. I can see how Eric felt he was dressed appropriately (coat, hat, gloves, heavy socks, boots) and so he gets a pass. Even if he was told "no shorts" I think the time served in his room will suffice as penalty enough.

We, as parents, really need to be selective about our battles. I do not see this as something worth getting all worked up over. As Jack said, he wasn't frostbitten or complaining. As Pad points out boys and bare knees and the cold have been a thing for a long time. I see no reason that he and Matt can't carry on with their challenge.

Time for the SO and me to have a serious chat.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Jack on this.

Kat

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'll join him in shorts outside for a snowball fight!

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm with Jack as well. And I guess I had the same mother as Y Lee--"I'm cold, go put on a sweater". This is a battle not worth fighting.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Pi Beta wrote:I'll join him in shorts outside for a snowball fight!

Yep!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
Seems to me Matt is cheating wearing 'shorts' of that length.

I can understand SO's concern but unless Erice told him/her to s.o. then I can't see any reason for a spanking.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
AFinch wrote:I'm with Jack as well.  And I guess I had the same mother as  Y Lee--"I'm cold, go put on a sweater".  This is a battle not worth fighting.

Not off topic, but not on scenario either:

I don't remember how old I was, but we were living in the house where Mom still lives, so I was at least 9.

I'd asked to walk to the library, which was just over a mile from our house. Mom agreed, but told me to ask my sister if she wanted to go. I did, she did, so we got ready.

"Go get a coat."

"I don't need one."

"It's cold out there, you need a coat."

At this point I should mention that Mom had slept in, then done housework, I'd already been outside.

"I'm not cold."

"You get a coat on, or you're not going!"

"Fine, I'm not going."

"You already told your sister you were taking her, so you're going. Now get a coat on, before I spank your butt."

There's actually a lesson there, and I've shared it with other parents. It was NOT freezing cold - probably in the 50s. If she'd let me do what I wanted, and I had gotten cold, then I would have remembered that Mom knows what she's talking about. If she just hadn't argued, then I probably wouldn't remember it at all. Instead, she argued, lied and cheated, and then was wrong (I had to carry the stupid coat the whole way and back), so what I remembered is that Mom doesn't know anything, but she'll do anything she has to to get her way.

What lesson do you want to teach your kid?

Pardon the digression.

kalico

Sherrif
I agree with jack.....

I figure he is old enough to know when he is cold and seek out warmth ...he can have a nice hot bath after playing in the snow with a cup of hot cocoa and that will warm the boy up nicely......

Hugs kal

Last edited by kalico on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack

Admin
kalico wrote:that will warm the boy up nicely......

For some reason, my boys are afraid to ask me to warm them up nicely Twisted Evil

squarecutter

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:Countless boys have worn shorts all year round for decades if not centuries an survived. But it is hard to stand up against motherly instincts. If she will not accept that I think we parents have to declare a truce, like it or not, boys. No spanking, though...

I think certainly in the UK this used to be true. Indeed A lot of boys a generation or two back got their first longs at about the age of 12. My school uniform had grey shorts all the way to 11. Only one or two of my class wore longs though no one got in trouble for doing so. The times were changing

I am going to tell my Spouse that cold knees will not kill him. The chest and head for me is the key area. And Jack. If a kid feels cold enough playing outside he will come in and warm up or change his pants and I will politely tell my spouse that.
Its the best wayfor a kid to learn his Mom may have been right after all

kalico

Sherrif
Razz I can't imagine why Jack

Hugs kal

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Back when Stevie was a little lad and all... (I think the year was 1965)

I'd been born in Canada of course, and my parents had been living here since 1953...

A family with two boys of about my age moved into our townhouse complex - just arrived from Manchester in the UK - fresh off the boat and all in the late summer...

The pair had been kitted out with clothing in the UK by doting grandparents; of course, with clothes entirely unsuitable for Canadian weather...

The lads spent the month of August bathed in perspiration caused by their heavy woollen clothing - I never knew it was possible for an eight year old who bathed daily to have body odour as badly as that - and gasped with relief when the temperatures finally dropped towards the middle of September...

The pair expressed the feeling that shorts were healthier than long trousers - of course, in 1965 Canadian boys habitually wore long pants - so that they would continue to wear shorts all through the winter (Stevie suspects that they'd been told there was no money for replacement clothing)...

They continued to wear their totally unsuitable British clothing until after Christmas... the poor lads must have been very cold towards the end of December.

Not long after school started in January the temperature dropped below zero Fahrenheit (-17 C) and the boys showed up to school in their shorts and sweaters... the teacher was very worried about them and they weren't allowed to go outside for recess that day.

Next day, they had proper clothing - not sure if the school laid down the law or not - and they didn't show up in shorts again until the spring... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevie...

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I don't think I'd want my recess outdoors in zero degree weather, even with long trousers. Brrrrrr!

Kat

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:I don't think I'd want my recess outdoors in zero degree weather, even with long trousers. Brrrrrr!

Kat

Kat and I grew up very close to each other, and we were only a grade apart. As far as I remember, we stayed inside for recess if it was just cold weather.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:I don't think I'd want my recess outdoors in zero degree weather, even with long trousers. Brrrrrr!

Kat

Kat and I grew up very close to each other, and we were only a grade apart.  As far as I remember, we stayed inside for recess if it was just cold weather.  

My childhood school district had cut a deal with the gas company: in exceptionally cold weather (meaning cold by Texas standards), the school was subject to a gas curtailment and had to close. We got more days off for gas curtailment than we got for road conditions. Laughing I do remember some "indoor recesses" because the school deemed it too cold for us to be outdoors. I'm not sure how low the temp had to drop for that, though.

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum