a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 01-20-2016 Awards Banquet - A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
AWARDS BANQUET
A DMK Production

Leo is your fourteen year old son and played on his middle school's football team.  Leo was notified that he would be honored at the football awards banquet as Outstanding Academic Athlete.  This award is given to the member of the team with the highest grade average.  Leo did not seem happy about the award and even asked to not attend the banquet.  You told Leo it was important that he go and you and your spouse and all four of Leo's grandparents will be attending. Leo has been very down and seems to be dreading the banquet.

You are headed out of the house to attend the banquet when Leo stops and breaks down and says he has something to confess.

LEO - 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Leo's weakest subject has always been math but this year it has been his best.  In fact, Leo's math grades are what earned him the award.

Leo starts crying and says he cheated on all of his math tests.  He says he texted the pertinent formulas and information to his phone and then, during the test, he would glance at his phone.  Leo was never caught.

The program is set, the trophy is engraved, and the grandparents are in route.

What happens?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
OK I hope someone gives me a solution where Leo doesn't have to come clean in front of everyone.. help

AFinch

Sherrif
Tongue planted firmly in cheek....

We tell Leo to go through with the banquet, and keep his mouth shut.  We encourage him to go to law school, and plan a career in politics. At the age of 35, he will run for President--makes no difference which party--they're all the same anyway.

Math isn't required for lawyers or politicians anyway--except for billable hours. And cheating on your income taxes. And there are programs for both those things.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Let's see if I got this right.  

All term I have not noticed Leo's spectacular jump in his math grades enough to question them.  

For two weeks I have not noticed Leo's increasing decline in his demeanor.

For two weeks I have not tried to understand this but just have been a stubborn adult with an excess of pride in myself for raising a wonderful kid to show off to my parents and in-laws.

And now -- at five minutes to midnight on the count down to disaster clock -- you expect me to have a solution.

The school has some blame in this also for ignoring a sudden and spectacular  change of grades in one subject.  Either there is a great new idea to share or something rotten and not in Denmark.

It would be terribly traumatic for Leo to accept the prize.

Y.

P.S.  How about a bomb threat?

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
This is a situation for which there are no good solutions. I could force Leo to make his confession to the school authorities and take the consequences, thus creating a huge mess, which won't endear Leo to them; or I could force him to go through with the banquet, accept the award and live with a bad conscience.

I think the simplest thing will be to keep Leo from the banquet. I can send a message that we've had a family emergency (which is true). I'll have to call the grandparents and tell them the whole truth about Leo's non-attendance.

I'll punish Leo at home for the cheating. In a way he has suffered enough, but for the sake of his conscience, he needs a concrete punishment. We'll say nothing to the school. We'll put the trophy away, but it will always be a tangible reminder to Leo that cheating is not only wrong but can bring unforeseen consequences.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
I reckon Kat has the right solution.

Only the immediate family will know the truth. Leo will have to live with that which I suspect is going to be sufficient punishment for him since his conscience wouldn't let him carry on with the result of his cheating.

The only problem here is that the school authorities may get suspicious when his grades drop back next semester, but by then I doubt there is anything they could do.

In the meantime perhaps I can spank him for looking a mess with his tie tied like that???

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Sleeping on it, let this idea come to mind.

We go to the horrid affair and when presentation time comes, Leo drops the bomb shell.

"I can not in good conscience accept this award.  Others have worked harder and have achieved more. Thank you."

He never touches the trophy and declines further comment.  If he is mobbed, we leave.

Things can be sorted out in the light of day including further explanations and punishments.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

squarecutter

Sherrif
Kat has the only possible solution I can see. As bad as Leo feels, I think his punishment has to fit the crime and will have to be severe and painful.

The next Math report will be a stinker but so be it

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Kat wrote:This is a situation for which there are no good solutions. I could force Leo to make his confession to the school authorities and take the consequences, thus creating a huge mess, which won't endear Leo to them; or I could force him to go through with the banquet, accept the award and live with a bad conscience.

I think the simplest thing will be to keep Leo from the banquet. I can send a message that we've had a family emergency (which is true). I'll have to call the grandparents and tell them the whole truth about Leo's non-attendance.

I'll punish Leo at home for the cheating. In a way he has suffered enough, but for the sake of his conscience, he needs a concrete punishment. We'll say nothing to the school. We'll put the trophy away, but it will always be a tangible reminder to Leo that cheating is not only wrong but can bring unforeseen consequences.

Kat

I'm ambivalent on this one; in a way I'm a bit proud of Leo, he didn't have to "come out" to me but has shown he has a conscience and is ashamed of himself to the extent of not wanting a reward he knows he has not really earned.  

Unlike all those involved in sports and business doing it for self aggrandisement and/or riches he has cheated to try to avert failure.  Although unsure of his memory he had made a crib, but then having referred to it has gone on to apply those formulea to a degree that has surprised him.

How do we deal with the mess?  Kat has the best idea.  I'll counsel Leo regarding the probable knock on effects if the school finds out and we'll keep it in the family.

Punishment?  Only if Leo feels it will help him to put the affair behind him.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
Leo might have been cheating to get the formulas, but he was still doing the work, and that is important. However, I can udnerstand he feels unable to accept the award.

I think we'll deal with this as a family. If it's almost time to leave for the banquet, I'm not sure I'd have time to come up with any good ideas, so we might just not make it. I'm pretty sure Leo will be one sore, sorry boy by the time the night is over, but I'm also sure he'll feel less guilty, and then we can work on having him earn those grades next year (maybe he just needs to work on test taking anxiety, if all the did to improve his grades was bring the formulae).

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Leo is going to have to study math every day, without fail, until he can make his lie the truth! Right now Leo needs to get ready to go to the banquet and accept the award, even though he will need to earn it later.

Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum