Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Jack

Admin
You are vice-principal at a middle school that still allows corporal punishment. Your normal response to a situation requiring it is one to three swats with a standard paddle. You prefer it, because it's fast and finished, with minimal interference in a boy's education.

Roy Quill is thirteen years old, an eighth grader, and captain of the swim team.

Roy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You've just caught Roy running in the hallway. You have personally given him several reminders that it's technically a paddling offense. You've even helped him figure out his problem (his locker is on the far side of the building between his sixth and seventh period classes), and what to do about it. Yet here he is - running again. You warned him that, next time you catch him, he was getting swats.

The problem is, Roy has a swim meet after school, and the speedo he wears for competitive swimming is brief enough to show lingering redness. Is that your problem or just his?

2 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:17 pm

db105

Trailboss
Well, I'm only going to give him one swat. Do I think I can limit it to the area covered by the speedo? If not, I'll tell him we'll have our chat tomorrow.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

3 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:24 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
His problem. He's been given several warnings... so he get the full three...

Stevie.

4 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
He can make the choice.

Kat

5 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
It was quite unfair to set up a situation that a student is caught between several regulations and must violate one in order to function.  As the problem was identified -- insufficient time to access his locker between classes without either running in the hall or being late for class or not having something or missing something.

The staff member who was instructed to make necessary adjustment is due for a reprimand.

And the publicity of a student's unfair red butt is most certainly my problem as well as his.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

6 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Y Lee Coyote wrote:As the problem was identified -- insufficient time to access his locker between classes without either running in the hall or being late for class or not having something or missing something.

The staff member who was instructed to make necessary adjustment is due for a reprimand.
Y.

The scenario says that you, the vice principal, have helped Roy identify the problem and what to do about it, which suggests that the solution lies within Roy's own power. For one thing, he could visit his locker and take what he needs for both classes, thus eliminating the time-consuming return trip. It ain't rocket surgery Razz; it just requires a little advance planning on his part and carrying an extra book (or whatever materials are needed).

I must be missing something in the scenario about a staff member making an adjustment.

Kat

7 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:23 am

ivor

Marshall
Surely he can't be the only boy in the entire school who has a 'problem' due to the siting of his locker? And if you've shown him how to overcome the problem, then it is down to him if he doesn't do that.

I agree with Kat - his choice as to when. But if he does opt to take the licks beforehand we might find a staff member making an adjustment at the meet Embarassed

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

8 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:04 am

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:
Y Lee Coyote wrote:As the problem was identified -- insufficient time to access his locker between classes without either running in the hall or being late for class or not having something or missing something.

Y.

The scenario says that you, the vice principal, have helped Roy identify the problem and what to do about it, which suggests that the solution lies within Roy's own power. For one thing, he could visit his locker and take what he needs for both classes, thus eliminating the time-consuming return trip. It ain't rocket surgery Razz; it just requires a little advance planning on his part and carrying an extra book (or whatever materials are needed).

I must be missing something in the scenario about a staff member making an adjustment.

Kat

Thank you, Kat - I wish we had a like button here. That was also exactly the solution I had in mind (and what I had to do under a similar situation).

9 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:10 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Two swats, he can choose when.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

10 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 am

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
I would possibly agree with Kat et al that sure he could have the extra book in each class.  That would be fine if they are both nice neat academic classes.  How about one being a chem lab which requires a batch of protective gear but prohibits having baggage because it is a safety hazzard while the other one is an art class which requires a shit load of stuff such as sketch books, drawing supplies and paints.

The resolution to the problem is longer class breaks or an assignment of a locker on the same side of the school neither of which the lad can accomplish as those are staff functions.  The former is an unlikely school wide change while the latter is reasonable solution.  Was his change request refused?

Not to mention the need to heed the call of nature as well.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

11 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Y Lee Coyote wrote: That would be fine if they are both nice neat academic classes.  How about one being a chem lab which requires a batch of protective gear but prohibits having baggage because it is a safety hazzard while the other one is an art class which requires a shit load of stuff such as sketch books, drawing supplies and paints.

We're getting very hypothetical here, and well outside of what the scenario implies. However, I'll take up the challenge. In my experience, schools provide the safety equipment for science labs. If, however, the school requires the student to bring his own, then I'd think a kid might make a special arrangement to leave his equipment with the teacher.

I took art in high school and the supplies we brought ourselves were pretty portable. A sketch book weighs only ounces, making it easier to carry than a textbook. Paints, charcoal pencils and so on usually have their own cases, which present few challenges for carrying.

YLC wrote:The resolution to the problem is longer class breaks or an assignment of a locker on the same side of the school neither of which the lad can accomplish as those are staff functions.  The former is an unlikely school wide change while the latter is reasonable solution.  Was his change request refused?

Actually the locker issue is not likely a practical school wide change. Schools often give locker assignments on the basis of staggered lunch periods so that students don't disturb classes when they go to their lockers during lunch. However, a resourceful student who has a particular need for locker access on the opposite end of the school can get around the problem by arranging with a friend to have access to one another's lockers. This worked well for me throughout high school.

YLC wrote:Not to mention the need to heed the call of nature as well.

This shouldn't be a problem every day. On days that it is a problem, the student should go on to class and then ask the teacher to excuse him. Teachers have a legal obligation to provide students access to the toilets and to the nurse.

Kat

12 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Pi Beta

Deputy
His problem! I've done everything I reasonably can to help him sort this and, clearly he hadn't disagreed when last I'd warned him again!

His choice - 2 now or 3 in the morning.

13 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:01 pm

pushkin

Cowboy
I would lose my pupil cred if I let him off, and anyway I'd be breaking a promise, which would set him a very bad example.   So it's swats for sure - but postponed until the next day.   He might swim a bit faster if I told him that the number of swats was undecided, depending on how the meet went... Cool

I will point out that with a bit of forward planning he wouldn't have needed to get to his locker between periods.

Push (written before reading the earlier comments)

14 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:19 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'll give Roy the choice if he prefers to wait till tomorrow. He may prefer to get it over with

15 Re: BOTD 1-25-16: Swim Meet Today at 1:52 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum