You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/6/16 "The Book Worm" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 2/6/16 "The Book Worm" A DMK Production on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:33 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
THE BOOK WORM
A DMK Production

Your twelve year old son, Randy, loves books and is an avid reader.  Luckily for Randy, a local branch of the county library is a short bike ride from your property.  Randy can typically be found at the library at least every other day returning books he has read and selecting new books.

You operate a small farm and Randy does have a few reasonable chores to help maintain the farm.  Randy typically takes care of his chores with little intervention from you.

Today is a Saturday and Randy says he wants to go and spend time at the library.  You tell Randy that he may go to the library but he needs to complete his daily chores first. About an hour and a half has passed and so you go to see how Randy is doing with his chores (he should be almost finished.)  Randy is no where to be found and the chores have not been touched.  Randy's bike is missing and so you are certain you know where to find your son.

You take a quick trip to the library.  Randy's bike is in the rack out front and you go inside and find:

RANDY - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Randy tells you he decided to go to the library first and do his chores later.  

Your response?

Jack

Admin
I'm really restraining my impulse to wear him out here and now.

Unless any of his chores are time sensitive, then I'm going to let him select his books, we'll put his bike in the truck, and we'll go home. He's lost his bike for a few days, and I'm taking the books until he gets his chores done. When they are done, I'll ask him who's in charge, and give him a chance to convince me he doesn't need a thorough paddling.

If any of his chores were time sensitive (animal care, for example), he's getting a deluxe session as soon as we get home.

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
That will depend upon what chores he has. If they involve feeding the animals, he is in deep, deep trouble. Otherwise, knowing that our local library shuts at noon on a Saturday, I'll give him ten more minutes in the library, chuck his bike in the back of the pick-up and him into the front seat and read him the riot act about the need to negotiate first about when he does his chores, not try to do the negotiating when it's too late. Depending upon his response he'll get a final warning or a bottom warming.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I am so happy that Randy likes books instead of video games or other MUCH worse things he could be doing, that I will simply have him do his chores after he is done at the library!

Iconoclast

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Jack

ivor

Marshall
I'm more or less in line with Pi.

If the chores involve things like feeding the animals then I'd be concerned to find out why he didn't do them. It would also seem to be the first time he has neglected his chores in favour of the library.

Could it be that he is deciding a farming life is not for him?

I'm not going to spank or wear him out if it is indeed the first time. We need to chat on the way back to the farm and I'm sure when we get there he'll set to and do his chores. He'll also be fully aware of what will happen should he duck out of them again without discussing thing with me first.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Time management is a great skill and since Randy is dependable and generally makes a good job of satisfactorily fitting his chores into his life I can't see why I've suddenly become so prescriptive about them and started checking up on him.

Anyway, he's disobeyed me so I'm going to take him home and leather him. Not because he needs or deserves it, but because that's the kind of Dad I am.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
An hour and a half and he should be "almost" finished? That seems to me an excessive amount of chores for a twelve-year-old kid. I'm going along with Pi, and maybe rethinking what I'm asking of Randy. He's a child and should be able to enjoy his childhood. Chores teach responsibility. I think they also make kids feel they're an integral part of the family, with shared ownership of the home. They do need to be in proportion to their age and other responsibilities.

Kat

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
I'm going to answer this one reasonably, I'm afraid...

Stevie has to go back nearly two hundred years (the 1850s) to reach an ancestor who actually farmed... this probably makes me uniquely unqualified to exactly judge how serious an infraction this is and all...

I do get the point about animal related chores and not causing suffering to them, such as being unfed, unwatered, or unmilked... if this is the case then there will be punishment involved... probably not a spanking because this would be of dubious legality in Canada on a twelve year old.

Otherwise, I'm personally hardly likely to chastise my son for reading. We'll have a discussion. and I am going to try to determine whether or not the boy wants to continue with farming; if not I may actually put the farm on the market and retire on the proceeds. Land is highly priced in this area and I would probably end up with enough to do so pretty comfortably; small family farms are disappearing in the Niagara region and are all either being developed into subdivisions or converted to boutique vineyards...

We will discuss the need to continue maintaining the family farm until the decision is finalised - and I will stress the fact that I cannot run the farm by myself. I will also stress the fact that he is going to have to make his own living; even though I shall be able to help him out a good deal the proceeds from the sale of the farm will not be sufficient to allow both of us to live on them forever. The scenario does not state that I have other children or a wife, so I'm assuming single parenthood of a single boy.

Stevie.

10 Re: BOTD 2/6/16 "The Book Worm" A DMK Production on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:42 am

kalico

Sherrif
I'm going to ditto Jack....

I'm also wondering if the library might close early like PI suggested so I will be finding that out but If that is the case and depending on if I get additude,I could let him off with a warning and letting him know he should have told me the time the library closed and asking instead of just taking off ...... Like y'all said as long as it wasn't time sensitive

Hugs kal

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I strongly dislike baseball caps - especially worn indoors. I'm going to whack him!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum