a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/14/16 "No Open Shoes" A Dimitri 1SB Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
No Open Shoes
A Dimitri-1strapped Boy Production

As a long time Scout leader, you have always enforced the camp policy of 'no open shoes on camp property' as you know the hazards inherent to that.

Between the risk of simple stubbed toes to cuts to the feet, you've told your scouts that if they are caught with open shoes YOU'D send them home before the staff does.  

You are walking one of the many trails of the camp when you discover 13 year old Jeff (your youngest) walking the same trail just a bit ahead of you:

Jeff - 13

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Since he's YOUR boy (and not strictly subject to Scouting's rules), are you going to "take him on a 'personal hike' and warm him up or......

David M. Katz

Marshall
How did he get to the camp with the sandals? Unless I was blind and he wore them there that means he has a pair of acceptable shoes back in the tent/cabin.

I will send him back to change his shoes. His ears will burn a little but not his butt.

(If he did sneak in with nothing but sandals then he can sit out the hike in the tent/cabin.)

Jack

Admin
How would I send any other boy home? If it's possible, I should adhere to the same rules for him, as I would for anyone else. If not, he can fetch his other shoes, and I can think of a good use for those sandals... at least one of them.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm going with Katz's answer, which seems a reasonable response.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
K Club united

MemoryMan

Sherrif
He knows the rule.

We are going for that "personal hike" where he can temporarily lose one of those sandals and certain other apparel.

Then he's going back to camp to wait in his tent and when I return he'd better be wearing shoes I know he brought.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
I think he should be treated exactly the same as any other member of the troop. Treating him differently because he is your son is rather unfair.

Mind you, sending someone home for this offence sound pretty harsh!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
Practicalities are how far are we into the hike, does he know the way back. Are there enough supervisors if I have to take him away temporarily (or may be the rest of the hike). I may have to deal with this when we return. I dowant to know why Jeff would break a rule he had to know about. I think if we are far from cmp I may have to stick to the schedule and just hope Jeffs feet come out of it better than his backside. Jeff and will be making a short detour where we can deal with this privately

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
Am I being picky or am I correct in thinking that though this is the camp site and surrounds, you are not actually in Scouting mode this day?

If this is the case and I'm out only with him, we're stopping while I discover how he's managed to deceive me today and then, depending upon distances, we're returning to the camp and then packing and going straight home. I'll use that return home as the punishment - unless he gives me any lip about it.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
The reality of this one is something I see every Summer Camp despite the pre-camp parent's meeting, my own telling the kids "I'll send you home before staff does if I catch it", and yet there's invariably some boy who will decide to go walking about in open shoes.

Through the years, I've been known to be a bit 'flexible' with the rule (which is a Camp rule, not mine) if a boy tells me he's heading for the showerhouse (and has his kit on hand) but to see a kid, especially MY kid on the trail in sandals is a ticket to trouble.

Usually how this happens is they come to camp in uniform and their 'comfy shoes' are packed in their gear.  At swim test/aquatics orientation the Medic gives HIS 'No open shoes' lecture.  It really is a matter of safety as it is too easy to get a cut, stub a toe or have some other mishap that will ruin the camp experience.

Since it IS my boy, I'm thinking of walking him back to the site with a stern attitude-he can worry on the way whether or not he's 'for it' for this because he knows blasted well this is verboten!  At the site he can change into closed toe shoes and go on with his day hopefully a bit wiser but uninjured in more ways than one.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum