a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 15 February 2015 - "A Woodland Wander" - A Memory Man Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
A Woodland Wander
A Memory Man Production

Your 13yo son Russ has been a friend of your good neighbour's son Mark ever since they were toddlers. Indeed they spend so much time together that you and your neighbour are virtually alternative parents and you both deal with any discipline issues that crop up as you see fit, which usually means spanking.

The boys both share your love of the outdoor life and you have taken them off for a week's camping in the mountains. It is the fourth morning and when you need to drive into the nearby village for some provisions the boys ask if they can go for a hike on their own. It is a fine but overcast morning and since they are both up to speed on mountain safety you get the map out and mutually agree a safe route that will get them back in time for you to do something together in the afternoon.

You complete your shopping and await their return but when they are two hours later than expected you start to worry and set out along their return route. You have walked about a mile and when you finally meet them you notice their normal exuberance has gone and it looks like they have had a scare.

Russ and Mark - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They admitted they had diverted from the agreed route to have a look at a waterfall up a side valley and then decided to make up for lost time by taking a short cut through the commercial woodland blanketing the main valley floor; but once in the woods they discovered that the trees were so tall and closely planted that they couldn't see the hills, the forest roads were anything but straight and had a lot of junctions. In short they got lost. In the end they got their compass out and blazed their own trail through the undergrowth in the general direction of their path home.

You were pleased at the common-sense resourcefulness they had used to get themselves out of trouble once they had realised they were lost, but that didn't alter the fact that after leaving detail of their intended route at base (albeit in your head) that would assist the rescue services in case of mishap they had taken it into their heads to follow an entirely different route; a flagrent breach both of your trust and of basic mountain safety rules.

OK. They had a fright of sorts and got away with it - this time. But will you be dampening their illusions of immortality by having them cut switches when you get them back to base?

AFinch

Sherrif
They don't look to me like they feel triumphant or invincible. They look like they've already had a good scare. I can't see that reinforcing that scare with additional punishment would be anything but mean. For me, a reminder about the reason to stick to the plan being a good idea (to aid rescue in the event of mishap) is sufficient.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will not punish them but I should have sent them with a GPS device and at least a Family Radio Service radio and spare batteries. It is silly to think the route would not be modified after the boys left and saw the actual land, after all they are 13!

They should also have had a topographic map of their route.

Iconoclast

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
They look like they could use a good clearing out....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevie Twisted Evil

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
As usual, I'm with Kier.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
United K klub.

ivor

Marshall
I'll go along with the K Club. Knowing these two I'm sure I'll be able to find another reason to give them a spanking before the week is over Razz

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
In answer to the last question, definitely not a switch. I think the punishment has, really, already been delivered with the worry they've had and the fact that there's less time to do something interesting this afternoon. With firm lecture on sticking to the plan for all the reasons mentioned I think I can give them a pass THIS time

Jack

Admin
Yes, I am going to have them pick switches (1 each). As we walk back to the campsite, we'll review all the reasons that we did those things in the first place and everything they did wrong. I'll point out that, if they want to act like irresponsible children, I can treat them that way, but it's much better for all of us if they'll prove they can be responsible and honest with me.

When we get back to the camp site, I'll 'decide' that they've learned their lesson and allow them to dispose of the switches.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Jack wrote:Yes, I am going to have them pick switches (1 each).  As we walk back to the campsite, we'll review all the reasons that we did those things in the first place and everything they did wrong.  I'll point out that, if they want to act like irresponsible children, I can treat them that way, but it's much better for all of us if they'll prove they can be responsible and honest with me.

When we get back to the camp site, I'll 'decide' that they've learned their lesson and allow them to dispose of the switches.

That's just about the way my mind was working when I wrote it Wink

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum