a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 02-16-2016 The Doubleheader - A Jack Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
The Doubleheader
A Jack Production

This is your son, Raymond (right) with his best friend, Thomas. Despite the size difference, both boys are twelve - Thomas is actually slightly older.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thomas and Raymond have been friends basically all their lives. You're not quite that close with Thomas' parents, but they're nice people, and you do things with them from time to time (usually for the boys sake). The boys have spent so much time together, that you and Thomas' father have shared discipline duties on the boys.

Raymond went home from school with Thomas today. He was supposed to be home at his normal time. He came home way past curfew - long enough past that he invokes the 'automatic sore bottom' clause... At least unless he has a really good excuse.

He doesn't.

When you tell him to get ready, he throws a fit, then runs out into the back yard.

You give Raymond a few moments to settle down. He's still pretty upset, but you finally get him to talk to you. It turns out that, when he and Thomas arrived home, there was no one home, and no snacks ready. The two of them decided to make cookies and found all the ingredients. They did make a bit of a mess, but they were in the process of cleaning it when Thomas' dad arrived home. He was pretty upset, and both boys got thorough spankings. The real reason Raymond was late was that he was mad and didn't want to come home yet.

What happens next?

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I can't see myself giving him another spanking. He exercised bad judgement because he was upset. Mercy will send a more powerful message than a spanking. I'm not pleased with the spanking that Thomas' dad gave the boys. I'm not sure if the spanking was for the mess or taking it upon themselves to bake cookies. Since the boys had no snacks available, the adults in that house weren't doing such a hot job. I'm going to phone him to talk about things. I may (or may not) reconsider allowing him to spank Raymond.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
I agree with Kat.

ivor

Marshall
I can understand Thomas' fathers reasoning in spanking Raymond as well on the basis that both boys were guilty of the 'crime'. But I don't think a spanking was the appropriate punishment. A week without cookies and only fruit would seem much more appropriate - and healthier.

Raymond won't be spanked for being late. I'll look on the one he's already had as covering that issue.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Oh dear! What absolute deprivation; no snacks laid out when the boys come home from school.  Perhaps Thomas should be taken into care..............or again Thomas' parents may be making a stand against childhood obesity?

I presume Thomas is not allowed to cook unsupervised and a spanking was in order but it does seem a bit hard that Raymond who was only following his friend's lead (and was probably unaware) caught it too.

I don't see that this gives Raymond any excuse for deliberately missing his curfew,  He can prepare himself and go over my lap.  Only after he's had a few stingoors will I tell him that since I think he's already been spanked unfairly I will let him off the rest.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
MemoryMan wrote:Oh dear! What absolute deprivation; no snacks laid out when the boys come home from school.  Perhaps Thomas should be taken into care..............or again Thomas' parents may be making a stand against childhood obesity?

I hardly think failing to provide kids with an after school snack is an appropriate stand against childhood obesity. Most of us need something to eat after four hours or so, which is my estimate of the time between lunch and their arrival. A healthy snack will actually help them not to overeat at their next meal.

Also, while not having anything put out doesn't equate to neglect, I find it pretty unreasonable to punish kids when they find something to eat on their own. If parents want to instill healthy eating patterns, they need to have healthy food easily available. Twelve year olds are old enough to prepare their own snacks, but they shouldn't have to wonder what they are and are not allowed. IF Thomas isn't allowed to cook without supervision, then we have another problem with his parents: they are overprotective. Twelve is more than old enough to use every appliance in the kitchen without an adult hovering nearby. I certainly could and did cook simple meals at that age.

My take on the scenario is that Thomas' dad had a frustrating day, came in and saw a mess, ignored that the boys were cleaning it up and decided to be a dick by taking his frustration out on them.

Kat

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Kat wrote: ...................Twelve is more than old enough to use every appliance in the kitchen without an adult hovering nearby. I certainly could and did cook simple meals at that age.
Kat

Oh dear!  Kat seems to have completely failed to appreciate the satire in my response.

For the record I was also cooking without direct supervision at that age (and that was using GAS) except that I was not allowed to use the chip pan unsupervised; but there was always an adult within call in an emergency.

Even though we kids were far more active than today grazing was not an option in those far off days of rationing; perhaps that is one of the reasons why my generation (at least on this side of the Pond) tends to be healthier and is (likely) going to be longer lived on average than the self indulgent sedentary overweight ones succeeding us.

ivor

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:

Even though we kids were far more active than today grazing was not an option in those far off days of rationing;

Not even bread and dripping?

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ivor wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:

Even though we kids were far more active than today grazing was not an option in those far off days of rationing;

YUK! Laughing

ivor

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:
ivor wrote:
MemoryMan wrote:

YUK! Laughing

Thought that was a staple northern food along with tripe and onions Smile

squarecutter

Sherrif
It does depend a bit on what the rules are at Thomas's house. I might ring Thomas's Dad to find out exactly what the issue was and whether Raymond was aware that a spanking could be the result of what he and Thomas did. Whatever. I consider Raymond has already paid the price but I also want to know whether the anger on his part is justified. I also want him to talk to me if he thinks he is victim of an injustice, not refuse to come home and throw fits

Pi Beta

Deputy
But is Raymond actually telling me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - or is he trying to get me on his side and hiding the full story. I need to find that out before deciding whether he's clear or has just talked himself into more trouble!

A telephone call is needed first to Thomas's father.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I agree with Kat! Kids need to do things for themselves, and obviously, from the photo, the boys are NOT fat!

Iconoclast

kalico

Sherrif
I don't think I will spank but I will talk to him about why baking the cookies was not a great idea and can understand why the other dad was so upset as I feel this age is a bit too young still to do by themselves.

...it says no snacks were ready not that they probably cound'nt find anything else so I will go with how its worded...

I will also probably keep him home for a day or so instead of the spanking and explain that staying away was not the right choice.....

hugs kal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum