Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

22 February 2016 - Is It the Father of the Thing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
You are the principal at the only middle school in a moderate sized town.  The town isn't really a suburb, so you have to live here, meaning your children attend the school where you are an administrator.  Yes, your school system does use corporal punishment, and you are the one who applies it to boys.

Currently, your son, 12-year old Sean is your only child here.

Sean is usually a good kid in most things, but his standards of cleanliness are a bit lacking.  It's not that he's just a bit messy - he comes close to being a slob.  You and your partner have fought about how much freedom he should be allowed, but there are certain things that he's just not allowed to do - like leaving laundry, trash, food, or dirty dishes in his room.  Recently, because of repeated violations, he was forced to stay in on a weekend day until his room was clean to your partner's standards.  At that point, you warned him that he'd get a sore butt the next time he had a major violation.

Sean, 12, at school

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Today, a janitor called you out.  There was a locker that was stinking down the entire hall.  You opened it up to find dirty gym clothes and a sandwich that might could easily be confused with a particularly noxious alien life form.  You almost retched.

And yes, it was Sean's locker.

School rules allow you to give a detention or community service for that kind of offense, but it's not considered a paddling offense - especially not a first time.  Of course, you know it's not only not the first time, but that he's had very specific warnings about things like this.

So, does your position rule out using outside knowledge, or will the principal allow the parents to deal with this situation?

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
When one wears two hats, then one must be super careful of conflict of interest issues.  This was an easily predictable occurrence -- having to deal with your own kid.  The setup should have been that the vice-principal handles such matters and you are just parent.  Alas, foresight ain't nearly as good as hindsight.

It will also be known by everyone who has a locker nearby that the principal's kid was caught and he better be treated exactly as everyone else.

He gets a detention or two (maybe until the stink goes away) or some community service just like anyone else.

Y.

P.S. -- And a note home for the parents to explain his change of schedule.  What happens there is probably some violence from your partner.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

AFinch

Sherrif
Y Lee's response seems reasonable to me.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm going to go with Y's response, but I doubt as principal I'd even consider cp or detention. I'd simply make him sanitize the locker under the supervision of the janitorial staff and make him subject to periodic locker inspections.

Kat

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
He'll get a good bare bottom birching in front of the entire school just to show that I don't play favourites and all...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ivor

Marshall
I also go along with YLC's response. It is important that he is treated at school exactly the same a any other pupil.

But ought I to be worried about the size/weight of that backpack?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
It is a school offence, therefore a school punishment.

However, in assigning it I'll point out rather ominously that any other boy would also be carrying a letter home, but there is really no point in me writing to myself - is there?

PS.  I'll also be spanking my spouse fot failing to ensure he brings his gym kit home for laundering What a Face

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
Y Lee Coyote wrote:The setup should have been that the vice-principal handles such matters and you are just parent.  Alas, foresight ain't nearly as good as hindsight.

I couldn't figure out a good way to work this into the scenario, but the VP is female and deals with discipline for the young ladies. Still, there is probably another male available to whom the issue could be turned over, for cases when you're not available. That would certainly be an option - if you wanted it to be.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Jack wrote:...but the VP is female and deals with discipline for the young ladies

I'm afraid that this is basically off topic.

The setup you just described immediately leads to an equal opportunity issue to require that the principal and the vice principal be of different genders.

Additionally, there is the question of equal but separate justice for the students segregating them by gender other than when disrobing is required.  The latter become an issue only when bare bottom paddling (or the like) is the punishment and not at the decision stage.

OTOH, as a practical matter this inequality is probably traditional and even expected by the students.  Equal opportunity, er, treatment be damned.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

jackson1

Kid
As Principal I would just asign whatever school punishment is normally given for this infraction, that sends the signal out that though he's my son he gets treated just like everyone else. What happens at home is then a private matter.

I have a friend whose dad was Principal of the school both he and his brother went to, first at junior high then their high school. He said they were both told "at school I'm your Principal and you can be expect to be treated the same as any other student if you're sent to the office for misbehaving".

Their dad was true to his promise, both did find themselves in their Principal's office on occasion and leaving with a sore bottom after his paddle had been applied to the seat of their pants.

Last edited by jackson1 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad english!)

squarecutter

Sherrif
Think the position needs to have been sorted before Sean stated attending the school I work out.Whats important now s that Sean is treated the same as I would deal with other students. Officially school cannot take into consideration home idiscretions and would likely, normally not even know of them. I think I will consign Sean to detention with a detail to clean up his locker (floor could probably deal with the sweep too. and tidy up generally in the locker area). At home and school Sean will find himself on zero toleance on this issue and faces a certain paddling if this reoccurs in either setting

Jack

Admin
Y Lee Coyote wrote:
Jack wrote:...but the VP is female and deals with discipline for the young ladies

I'm afraid that this is basically off topic.

The setup you just described immediately leads to an equal opportunity issue to require that the principal and the vice principal be of different genders.

Additionally, there is the question of equal but separate justice for the students segregating them by gender other than when disrobing is required.  The latter become an issue only when bare bottom paddling (or the like) is the punishment and not at the decision stage.

OTOH, as a practical matter this inequality is probably traditional and even expected by the students.  Equal opportunity, er, treatment be damned.

Y.

I'll stick with the off topic...

While it's not always the principal and vice principal, there is usually a female available to handle the matter in these cases.

About four years ago (Sept 2012 - I looked it up) in Springtown, TX, which is way the heck out on the extreme far side of Dallas and Fort Worth from me (out where Ryan used to live, then north), they had a case where a couple of female students were paddled by male teachers. The rules at that point were that students are paddled by same gender staff. (That's the same rule they had when I was a coach/teacher, though when I was in elementary school, most paddling was by female staff). Anyway, Springtown changed the rules to allow padding by either gender staff with either gender student, but it's still same gender here.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum