a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 03-10-2016 Getty Shirty - An Ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster

Getting Shirty
An Ivor Production

You have recently started a new job at a small firm. Your employer is a traditionalist who has a rather paternalistic attitude to his staff.

This weekend he has invited you and a couple of other managers, with your families to join him and his family for dinner. You have ascertained from a colleague who has attended one of these dinners before that this will be a fairly formal 'sit down' meal, not a barbecue, and that the boss will expect everyone to dress accordingly.

Your 15 year old son Adam has been moaning for the last few days that he does not want to attend, but you have told him he must. You and your spouse are waiting in the car to depart when Adam emerges.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your options seem to be either to get him to go and change or leave him at home. If the former, will he also get paddled before you depart; if the latter will he know he is going to get one when you return?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
He's not coming and he is getting paddled later.. for now I'm dropping him at his Uncle Kat's house to help with some chores

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
He is not coming with me - and I'll make my excuses to my boss...

Since he cannot be strummered to behave himself when the family livelihood is at stake, he's going to find out what it would be like to live in a jobless family...

He gets the bare minimum from now on... no allowance, no spending money, basic, cheap clothes, etc., etc...

And, if he has a phone, it gets cut off RIGHT NOW.

Stevie.

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

squarecutter

Sherrif
If he wishes to avoid a paddling later he will put appropriate clothes on and be in the car in 5 minutes and behave at the bash with good grace. Also if he cannot do this his allowance and mobile phone will be withdrawn and his clothes will be chosen for him. I will not allow him to disrespect the source of his wealth eg the people who pay my salary. For once he will think about someone other than himself

David M. Katz

Marshall
squarecutter wrote:If he wishes to avoid a paddling later he will put appropriate clothes on and be in the car in 5 minutes and behave at the bash with good grace. Also if he cannot do this his allowance and mobile phone will be withdrawn and his clothes will be chosen for him. I will not allow him to disrespect the source of his wealth eg the people who pay my salary. For once he will think about someone other than himself

Every so often we all have to do something we don't like for the benefit of family and it isn't like the boy didn't know about this in advance. I will agree with Square's assessment.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think I'll leave him at home and forego punishment. He's at an age when he deserves some independence. My boss really has no right to intrude on my family life, though he probably means well. It's better to make an excuse, such as illness or previous plans than to force a rebellious adolescent into an awkward social situation. I am, however, going to let Adam know I'm disappointed that he wouldn't make such a small sacrifice on my behalf. If I've raised him to have any principles at all, disappointment will have a greater effect than punishment.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto square

Hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Kat

MemoryMan

Sherrif
My inclinations are the same as Squares but I'll go along with Kat, mainly in order to pre-empt a possibe embarrassing situation.

Since in the scenario I've promised an afterwards paddling we'll having a discussion along the lines already stated.  The depth of the ultimate consequences, paddling and/or others will depend on the outcome and his attitude.

But there WILL be consequences.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Padraig

Trailboss
I don't think there is anything wrong with his shirt and it suits him well. However it's a bit too bright for the occassion.

Have I/we clearly communicated or even laid out the clothes we expected him to wear?

Anyway, I'm sure he has a dress shirt he can put over the t-shirt so it should be a quick affair. I think I will give him some credit for still beeing a boy in puberty where thinking isn't always rational. But I let him know we thought he could do a better job.

Jack

Admin
I'm extremely torn on this in a number of ways. In the first place, I think it very likely that I'm looking for another job, though I suppose it does depend some on his attitude when he issues the invitation.

I mostly agree with Kat. I wouldn't have wanted to go to this (now or when I was a kid), and I can't blame Adam for not wanting to go.

What I should have done was explain why I was going, explain why I wanted him to go, and offer him a deal to go and behave. After that, I would have made sure he and I agreed on what he would wear.

Since I failed to do that, I will explain to him now why it's important, and I will ask him to go with us. If I have time to paddle him, then he has time to change. If he still refuses to go, I'll tell him that I'll deal with him when I get home, and waiting to find out how should give him something about which to think.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Nice tee-shirt. I rather like it. Don't like the wig though.

Anyway, I'm going to whack him.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum