a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 03-15-2016 Privilege at a Price - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Privilege at a Price
A Kat Production

You are James, a fourteen-year-old student at a small private middle school. Today the entire 8th grade is supposed to go on a field trip to a museum. Though you’ve had a week in which to hand in your permission form, you’ve left it at home again. The good news is your dad is the principal, and your homeroom teacher allows you to take a new permission form to his office for him to sign. The bad news is Dad isn’t happy with you. He gives you a choice: stay at school doing work in the library all day, which is what usually happens when you don’t have a signed permission slip, or take three swats from him as the price of getting special treatment.

James (You) - 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If you decide to take the swats, you have the choice of taking your medicine right away or putting it off until after school.

What is your decision?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I'm taking the licks... hope it's not a long bus ride

Pi Beta

Deputy
Would depend upon the museum! If related to an interest of mine or almost essential for an exam study, take the licks - afterwards. If otherwise, I'll enjoy a nice lazy day in the library, thanks!

kalico

Sherrif
dad can be cranky but this boy will be having a nice relaxing day in the library Very Happy

hugs kal

squarecutter

Sherrif
I take Pi Bets answer. Is this a "treat" worth 3 licks. I will also be careful to ensure there is no comeback at home

As to when, it depends on the length of journey an whether the school minibus or a decent coach

Last edited by squarecutter on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Pi and Square

David M. Katz

Marshall
AFinch wrote:Ditto Pi and Square

I agree as well.

ivor

Marshall
While appearances can be deceptive James does look the sort of boy who would enjoy a visit to a museum. Equally though he also looks the sort who would enjoy a day in the library......

However, I think he'd opt for the museum trip.

As for licks before or after:

I reckon James is working on an equation right now which is based on length of journey and type of bus. If it's anything over a couple of miles and in one of the old school buses then he'll decide to take his licks later; otherwise as he'll be standing most of the day at the museum, bring it on Dad.........

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'd REALLY wanted to go to the stuffy old museum I'd have made sure my permission form was handed in in time.

Its a day in the library for me.

(Now Dad's been alerted hope he doesn't keep dropping in to check on me) Sad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm not sure how much this figured into everyone's calculation, but James wouldn't be spending the day in the library at his leisure. He would be doing work set by his teachers of the sort commonly called "busy work" or "drill and kill".

The museum is not "stuffy" but rather one designed for kids, with a lot of interactive exhibits. Apart from the "fun but still educational" aspect, James will miss spending a day away from school with his friends. As a teacher, I've seen thirteen and fourteen year olds burst into tears because they weren't allowed to go on similar trips. For most of them, it's a pretty big deal.

The scenario doesn't say, but there will be no repercussions at home. James' dad has a firm rule regarding any interaction between him and his son: what happens at school stays at school.

If I were James, I think I'd just take the licks and go. I doubt I'd have much fun if I had to spend the day anticipating them. I trust Dad not to go over the top with this.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
Why does the school need a permission to take the kids to a museum? Do they charge the parents?

Anyway, I'd be a wuss in my friends' eyes if I try to avoid the licks so I will grit my teeth and tell Dad to do his duty.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Padraig wrote:Why does the school need a permission to take the kids to a museum? Do they charge the parents?

In the US (at least every school where I've worked), the permission form is a legal necessity. The parents' permission is required to move the child from school to another location, and their permission is required to provide the transportation to get to another location. Any cost to the parent for the trip would be a separate issue from the permission forms.

I suppose it comes down to parents having a right to expect their child to remain in school unless they have agreed for them to leave. I think people would be very unhappy if their child were injured in a bus wreck and they weren't even aware their child was on a bus.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy even with Kat's clarification Im still sticking to the library ...... like someone said if it was truly a trip I wanted to take I would have made sure it was in....

hugs kal

squarecutter

Sherrif
Kat wrote:I'm not sure how much this figured into everyone's calculation, but James wouldn't be spending the day in the library at his leisure. He would be doing work set by his teachers of the sort commonly called "busy work" or "drill and kill".

The museum is not "stuffy" but rather one designed for kids, with a lot of interactive exhibits. Apart from the "fun but still educational" aspect, James will miss spending a day away from school with his friends. As a teacher, I've seen thirteen and fourteen year olds burst into tears because they weren't allowed to go on similar trips. For most of them, it's a pretty big deal.

The scenario doesn't say, but there will be no repercussions at home. James' dad has a firm rule regarding any interaction between him and his son: what happens at school stays at school.

If I were James, I think I'd just take the licks and go. I doubt I'd have much fun if I had to spend the day anticipating them. I trust Dad not to go over the top with this.

Kat
This changeds matters. I think If I were James in this situation I would take the licks too

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum