Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Sun May 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Jack

Admin
Your name is Greg.  You've been in foster care as long as you can remember - since about six.  Because rules prohibit the use of corporal punishment on foster children, you've never been spanked, whipped, paddled, or anything else, beyond a thump on the ear from one foster mother.

You moved to a new home this last summer, and you're attending eighth grade at a new school.  This district allows CP, but your foster parents notified the school that you are a foster child, and it violates state rules for them to use it on you.  

When you moved into this home, there was a boy your age who lived next door.  The two of you quickly became best friends.  

You and your new best friend - Robbie

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Today, Robbie was in kind of a silly mood, and he got you acting the same way.  The two of you have had some trouble in Mrs. Miller's history class, because she's kind of an old stick in the mud.  After one warning about talking, the two of you start passing notes, which are also silly, and give you both the giggles, and you can't stop, even when she calls you out.  So instead, she sends you out - to the office.

The vice principal who handles boys' discipline is moderately sympathetic, but both of you can be a bit rowdy at times, so he suggests to swats each will settle you down.

"Do either of you have a CP restriction, before I get started?"

You've heard that he only confirms it if you say you do.

What do you say?

2 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Sun May 29, 2016 5:36 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
I'd say "no". Which could potentially get the VP in trouble. But all I care about is my own "street cred", and not having to serve detention.

3 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Sun May 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
AFinch wrote:I'd say "no".  Which could potentially get the VP in trouble.  But all I care about is my own "street cred", and not having to serve detention.

I agree Kier, most boys would say that!

Iconoclast

4 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 1:41 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Ah, yes, history teachers! I remember one who taught us third-formers about the Corn Laws 1815-1846, when we wanted to know about such as Horatio Nelson and his naval victories.

I'm going to sack her.

I remember when Ireland was all potatoes.

6 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 2:41 am

ivor

Marshall
I'd also say nothing. What are a couple of licks compared to the risk of losing my new best friend?

[Em, seems like the History Teacher did a good job with the Corn Laws!]

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

7 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 4:14 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'd say no too . If the VP were doing his job he'd check anyway

8 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 10:17 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'd say no and be careful not to let on at home that I'd had licks. There's no reason why anyone in authority should ever find out, but if it does become an issue, I'm prepared to take responsibility for lying to the VP. He probably should check rather than just ask, but at the end of the day, that's just chickenshit CYA stuff. After all, it's *my* ass -- it doesn't belong to the state. (That would be my attitude as a kid.)

Interesting question about what happens in school districts that don't allow opting out of CP. While it is illegal for foster parents to use CP themselves or to consent to its use on behalf of a child in their care, I don't think being in the foster system would exempt a child from the school's use of it. The school's right to impose CP should provide legal cover for the VP, though it wouldn't protect him from internal discipline.

Kat

9 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:While it is illegal for foster parents to use CP themselves or to consent to its use on behalf of a child in their care,

Just a minor technicality here, but it is NOT illegal to use CP on a foster child. That's probably different in some states, but in Texas, it's merely a CPS regulation.

For those who were wondering - this is based on a real life event. It was shared with me by Cal's new friend (and my new employee) Greg Garza, and happened to him about six years ago.

And yeah, he took the licks.

10 Re: 30 May 2016 - Foster Boy of the Day on Mon May 30, 2016 6:08 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Emlyn Morgan wrote: I remember one who taught us third-formers about the Corn Laws 1815-1846...

The Corn Laws were very important in the development of modern British society and as such were an entirely appropriate topic to teach to fourteen year old boys...

I can't think of anything that would be more interesting...

Maybe I should post an essay on Peel and the repeal of the Corn laws...

Fascinating stuff... 

Stevie (who is sorry for intruding) Embarassed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum