a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 17 June 2016 - Dining Out A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
DINING OUT
A DMK Production

It is a Saturday and your twelve year-old son, Brock, is out with his friends. You get a call from Brock and he sounds upset. Brock says "he thinks he is in trouble" and asks you to come quickly. Brock is at a restaurant on the other side of town. Brock explains his trouble and you head out.

You find your son sitting in the restaurant and he is alone:

BROCK - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Brock and his friends planned to get lunch and then do a "dine and dash." The boys ordered and ate and then when the check came they all left except for Brock. Brock tells you he had a change of mind but he has no money but he does have a restaurant check for four cheeseburgers with onion rings and chocolate shakes totaling almost forty dollars. You have brought the money to pay the check and leave a tip.

Is Brock indeed in trouble? He is not supposed to be on that side of town and he did agree to the dine and dash. However, he did ultimately do the right thing. What about Brock's "friends?"

AFinch

Sherrif
Brock is in trouble for being in the wrong place, out of bounds. His trouble is mitigated by his doing the right thing and calling me. We'll talk, but he will likely avoid a spanking, depending on the conversation.

I'm going to be calling his friends' parents and telling them what happened. Hopefully they'll reimburse their sons' fair share. If the other boys are NOT in trouble after I speak to their parents, I'm going to strongly suggest that Brock needs a new and improved set of friends.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I am going to agree with Kier though I think even if I get the money of the othersBrock will lose 10 bucks worth of allowance o whatever his share was to pay me back, or alternatively work it off in chores. I will tell Brock that what he and his pals planned was, technically, theftand that if I had to cover a tab for him again his backside will pay the price. Hope this will be lesson learned

ivor

Marshall
Brock doubtless expects to see fireworks from me. I'll definitely give him a rocket but possibly won't go further.

I can see it would be hard for him not to go along with his friends' suggestion but at least he had the good sense not to go the whole hog.

I'm not clear how many friends were there, but he is certainly going to reimburse me his share.

Do I force him to tell me who was with him? Probably not, but I'm going to make it clear to him they may not be the sort of friends he wants and if he gets up to anything like this again his ass is grass Exclamation

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Since they didn't pay in advance, this is a restaurant, not a fast food place, so I'm guessing it was two other boys.

My first instinct is to let Brock off for this, because he ultimately made the right decision. On the other hand, it depends on his past history.

I think what I'm going to do is give him what the usual punishment for what sounds like a major out of bounds (which will depend on WHY it's out of bounds, but probably something like grounded for a day, loss of bike for a week, or a relatively mild spanking). Before that's applied, I'll ask him if he thinks that doing the right thing in the long run makes up for the decision he made in the first place, and what he thinks we should do about it. What would he have done if I hadn't been available?

In the long run, I'm thinking he'll probably get a hand spanking for out of bounds and a taste of the brush for the planned theft, but it will honestly depend on how he reacts.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'd treat this as a wonderful learning exercise for Brock - about friends, about honesty, about 'fessing up, about boundaries, about criminal records and their consequences.

I will ask the restaurant to give me a description of the others as best they remember them so that if Brock is initially unwilling to name his co-conspirators, I should be able to identify them or at least give Brock the impression that I only need his confirmation of their names.

I want his take on all of these before I decide whether of not to impose any punishment and, if so, what form this should take. I'll be very interested in what he thinks would be appropriate punishment - I suspect he may well suggest something more severe than I would consider appropriate, in which case the only sanction I will apply, unless he pleads for extra, will be that he pays his share.

Only if he takes a "no big deal" approach will I be as severe on him as I hope the other lads' parents will be when I inform them of this incident.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I've got mixed feelings on this one.  Brock dug himself into hole and I am gratified that when the fat lady sang he turned to me to be the one to dig him out.

I am not best pleased that he appears to have just followed his friends in the first place but I am rather proud that at the critical moment he became his own man and did the "right thing."  That he also manned up to me and readily fessed up his criminal intent whilst  knowing the hiding he would likely be in for leads me to conclude that this was not just a simple case of chicken.

We are going home for an in depth talk about things and specifically about choice of friends and handling  peer pressure, then assuming I get the positive response I'm expecting I'll tell him that right now his friends will be sweating on whether he's going to grass them out or not.

I'll tell him they can sweat all day tomorrow while he stays grounded but with no added restrictions apart from phone, also that those "friends" will be anxiously waiting for him at school on Monday to find out what happened.  He can tell them he's been grounded but hasn't grassed them out, that he's having to pay the $40 from his allowance and to demand that they pay their share.  

Then he'll find out who his friends really are.  I'l reassure him that whatever the shortfall (I suspect $40) I'll split with him.

As far as his friends are concerned I'll be taking no further action.  Brock's welfare is my concern and it won't do him any good to become known as a grass and could possibly even be dangerous.  Its a powerful learning experience for him.  Its unlikely he'll want to hang around with those friends any more andanyway  they'll probably have already concluded that he's 'not one of them.'

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

David M. Katz

Marshall
BOTD wrote:he does have a restaurant check for four cheeseburgers with onion rings and chocolate shakes totaling almost forty dollars.  

The assumption is there are four kids in total (three friends plus Brock.)

---------------------------------

I really like Memory Man's approach to this and, yes, it looks like both Brock and I can kiss twenty bucks (each) goodbye unless one of the other three also has a change of heart.

ivor

Marshall
ivor wrote:Brock doubtless expects to see fireworks from me. I'll definitely give him a rocket but possibly won't go further.

I can see it would be hard for him not to go along with his friends' suggestion but at least he had the good sense not to go the whole hog.

I'm not clear how many friends were there, but he is certainly going to reimburse me his share.

Do I force him to tell me who was with him? Probably not, but I'm going to make it clear to him they may not be the sort of friends he wants and if he gets up to anything like this again his ass is grass Exclamation

I evidently didn't read the scenario properly to not realize there were 3 friends, but that doesn't alter my response.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

David M. Katz

Marshall
ivor wrote:
I evidently didn't read the scenario properly to not realize there were 3 friends, but that doesn't alter my response.

The number wasn't important. The number does not alter any of the responses.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Later that night, after you've paid for the meal, Brock becomes violently ill with E. coli 0157:H7; he requires hospitalization and ultimately dialysis when he has HUS...

Your co-pay comes to $10,000...  Shocked

How much sympathy do you have for the restaurant then?

Stevie...

Postscript added later:

The other boys are also ill, though not as seriously as Brock...

Thirty-six other diners have been reported as affected, too, so there is no doubt about the source of the infection...

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

David M. Katz

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:Later that night, after you've paid for the meal, Brock becomes violently ill with E. coli 0157:H7; he requires hospitalization and ultimately dialysis when he has HUS...

Your co-pay comes to $10,000...  Shocked

How much sympathy do you have for the restaurant then?

Stevie...

Supposedly the other boys are sick too as they all had the same items (or did Brock have his burger less than well done?)

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Should Brock become ill as Stevie suggests then I will get to meet the other parents and recover the thirty dollars.

I wonder if they can join the lawsuit for bad food since they did not pay?

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum